Old 08-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Clifford Haynes

Default Best E-Mail Client

David McNally wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>
> I'm looking for an email client that does everything that Microsoft
> Outlook does, and just as well (or better)
> I've tried Evolution, and, while it is good as an email client, it has
> problems with connecting to my Google Calender. I've also noticed some
> other problems with it.
>
> I've also tried Thunderbird, which is a fantastic email client, but it
> doesn't have a calender, which I do need.
>
> Needless to say, it must be open-source, and available in the Ubuntu
> repos.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> David
Hi David

I use Open Office which has everything you could want like
M$ Office. My preferred email client it Thunderbird.

The nice thing about both of them is that they are usable on
the Ubuntu & Window$ platform/OS.

Hope this helps
Cliff

Old 08-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Hal Burgiss

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 08:21:27PM -0400, David McNally wrote:

> I'm looking for an email client that does everything that Microsoft Outlook
> does, and just as well (or better)

Best email client? That might be a job for mutt, which, as they say,
sucks, but sucks less. Faster, infinitely more secure, infinitely less
buggy, in fact damn near crash proof, integrates well with Unix shells
(a huge plus), works over remote connections, can use your text editor
of choice (and of course there is only one sane choice), integrates
well with procmail, portable - use it anywhere anytime, etc.

--
Hal

Old 08-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Peter N Spotts

David McNally wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>
> I'm looking for an email client that does everything that Microsoft
> Outlook does, and just as well (or better)
> I've tried Evolution, and, while it is good as an email client, it has
> problems with connecting to my Google Calender. I've also noticed some
> other problems with it.
>
> I've also tried Thunderbird, which is a fantastic email client, but it
> doesn't have a calender, which I do need.
>
> Needless to say, it must be open-source, and available in the Ubuntu repos.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> David

Check out Lightning -- it's a TBird add-on that provides calendars and
todo lists. You can sync it with Scheduleworld; I'm not sure about
Google's calendar.

Pete

--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
-- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Old 08-16-2008, 01:41 AM
"Michael Haney"

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Peter N Spotts <pspotts@comcast.net> wrote:
> David McNally wrote:
>> Hi Everyone.
>>
>> I'm looking for an email client that does everything that Microsoft
>> Outlook does, and just as well (or better)
>> I've tried Evolution, and, while it is good as an email client, it has
>> problems with connecting to my Google Calender. I've also noticed some
>> other problems with it.

You might want to struggle with other alternatives for a while until
Thunderbird 3 is released. I understand it will have a Calendar
feature as well as many other improvements. When is TB3 coming out
anyway?

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 08-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Peter N Spotts

Michael Haney wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Peter N Spotts <pspotts@comcast.net> wrote:
>> David McNally wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone.
>>>
>>> I'm looking for an email client that does everything that Microsoft
>>> Outlook does, and just as well (or better)
>>> I've tried Evolution, and, while it is good as an email client, it has
>>> problems with connecting to my Google Calender. I've also noticed some
>>> other problems with it.
>>>

> You might want to struggle with other alternatives for a while until
> Thunderbird 3 is released. I understand it will have a Calendar
> feature as well as many other improvements. When is TB3 coming out
> anyway?

Just checked CNET, and it looks like the calendar addition essentially
means turning Lightning into an integral part of TBird, rather than
having it as an add-on. So it might be instructive to add Lightning now,
David, and see if it meets your need.

Best to all,

Pete

Old 08-16-2008, 01:57 AM
William Witt

On Friday 15 August 2008 20:21:27 David McNally wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>
> I'm looking for an email client that does everything that Microsoft
Outlook
> does, and just as well (or better)
> I've tried Evolution, and, while it is good as an email client, it has
> problems with connecting to my Google Calender. I've also noticed
some
> other problems with it.
>
> I've also tried Thunderbird, which is a fantastic email client, but it
> doesn't have a calender, which I do need.
>
> Needless to say, it must be open-source, and available in the Ubuntu
repos.

> Thanks in advance,
> David

I'm a fan of kontact (I'm a KDE user). It has a calendar, but I don't use
it, so I don't know if itwill sync with google.

Will

Old 08-16-2008, 02:06 AM
NoOp

On 08/15/2008 05:49 PM, Peter N Spotts wrote:

> Check out Lightning -- it's a TBird add-on that provides calendars and
> todo lists. You can sync it with Scheduleworld; I'm not sure about
> Google's calendar.
>
> Pete

Might be worth a try.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:08 AM
"Michael Haney"

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 9:57 PM, William Witt <william@witt-family.net> wrote:
> I'm a fan of kontact (I'm a KDE user). It has a calendar, but I don't use
> it, so I don't know if itwill sync with google.

I'm kind of shocked that Google hasn't made an email client of their
own which can access the features of the Gmail website.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:42 AM
"Sridhar M.A."

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 08:31:23PM -0400, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 08:21:27PM -0400, David McNally wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for an email client that does everything that Microsoft Outlook
> > does, and just as well (or better)
>
> Best email client? That might be a job for mutt, which, as they say,
> sucks, but sucks less. Faster, infinitely more secure, infinitely less
> buggy, in fact damn near crash proof, integrates well with Unix shells
> (a huge plus), works over remote connections, can use your text editor
> of choice (and of course there is only one sane choice), integrates
> well with procmail, portable - use it anywhere anytime, etc.

Anybody tried sup here? Looking through their site and forums feel it is
not yet ready to replace mutt.

Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

A man who carries a cat by its tail learns something he can learn
in no other way.