Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Young

Default Nvidia headaches or bad motherboard?

I can't make the Nvidia drivers active, and can't detect the graphics
hardware or the monitor.

I just built a new system, and Ubuntu is giving me fits because of
Nvidia. I wanted to avoid Nvidia, but when you try to find a good
low/medium cost system with decent performance it seems to be the only
choice.

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache

ECS GF7100PVT-M3 Motherboard with onboard graphics.
North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 7100
South Bridge nForce 630i
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135066

Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64 has problems which I described in the
thread "New System Problem", and couldn't solve.
---------------------------------
I've backed off to 32 bit and installed Ubuntu 8.04.1-desktop-i386.
Still having problems.
First its stuck at 800x600 max.

I tried the "System > Administration > Hardware Drivers" method from
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia
and tried using Envy.

Both resulted in a message at the first stage of the boot process:

Ubuntu is running in low-graphic mode.
Your screen and graphics card could not
be detected correctly. To use....

This gives choices of monitors and graphics cards and drivers to choose
from. But, the only thing that mattered is choosing a monitor. Any
choice larger than 1280x1024, or any choice of a graphics card or
driver will result in 800x600 graphics. And better than 800x600 will
then only appear after a second restart, after choosing 1280x1024 and
nothing else.

I have a second machine, a KVM switch and second LCD panel, so I've
swapped out just about everything. The only thing I haven't done is put
the new 1680x1050 LCD on the old machine.

I installed read-edid on both machines. Only the old machine could read
the edid info from the old monitor.
***Does this mean the new motherboard is bad?

The new LCD has been connected to the new machine with both the analog
and DVI connectors.

I couldn't get the Nvidia manual installation method to work. Its
outside my skills, and I don't really think it will work, anyway.

Any ideas?

Old 08-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Karl Larsen

Young wrote:
> I can't make the Nvidia drivers active, and can't detect the graphics
> hardware or the monitor.
>
> I just built a new system, and Ubuntu is giving me fits because of
> Nvidia. I wanted to avoid Nvidia, but when you try to find a good
> low/medium cost system with decent performance it seems to be the only
> choice.
>
> Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache
>
> ECS GF7100PVT-M3 Motherboard with onboard graphics.
> North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 7100
> South Bridge nForce 630i
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135066
>
> Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64 has problems which I described in the
> thread "New System Problem", and couldn't solve.
> ---------------------------------
> I've backed off to 32 bit and installed Ubuntu 8.04.1-desktop-i386.
> Still having problems.
> First its stuck at 800x600 max.
>
> I tried the "System > Administration > Hardware Drivers" method from
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia
> and tried using Envy.
>
> Both resulted in a message at the first stage of the boot process:
>
> Ubuntu is running in low-graphic mode.
> Your screen and graphics card could not
> be detected correctly. To use....
>
> This gives choices of monitors and graphics cards and drivers to choose
> from. But, the only thing that mattered is choosing a monitor. Any
> choice larger than 1280x1024, or any choice of a graphics card or
> driver will result in 800x600 graphics. And better than 800x600 will
> then only appear after a second restart, after choosing 1280x1024 and
> nothing else.
>
> I have a second machine, a KVM switch and second LCD panel, so I've
> swapped out just about everything. The only thing I haven't done is put
> the new 1680x1050 LCD on the old machine.
>
> I installed read-edid on both machines. Only the old machine could read
> the edid info from the old monitor.
> ***Does this mean the new motherboard is bad?
>
> The new LCD has been connected to the new machine with both the analog
> and DVI connectors.
>
> I couldn't get the Nvidia manual installation method to work. Its
> outside my skills, and I don't really think it will work, anyway.
>

> Any ideas?

What can I say? When I loaded Hardy it asked if I wanted the good
nVidia driver and I said yes. I got it and my computer has been just
great since. It works.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-16-2008, 01:26 AM
"Peter Goggin"

Sounds similar to the problem I had. I found that with a KVM switch the
Linux box has to remain selected until the completion of the boot and
log on process. The monitor is then set to the maximum resolution and I
can choose from a full range of different options usning preferences. If
the KVM is swithed to a different computer then the Linux box only
recognises some default configuration (88 x 600). It requires a reboot
with the KVM set to the linux box to correct this problem.

Regards

Peter Goggin

> I can't make the Nvidia drivers active, and can't detect the graphics
> hardware or the monitor.
>
> I just built a new system, and Ubuntu is giving me fits because of
> Nvidia. I wanted to avoid Nvidia, but when you try to find a good
> low/medium cost system with decent performance it seems to be the only
> choice.
>
> Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache
>
> ECS GF7100PVT-M3 Motherboard with onboard graphics.
> North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 7100
> South Bridge nForce 630i
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135066
>
> Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64 has problems which I described in the
> thread "New System Problem", and couldn't solve.
> ---------------------------------
> I've backed off to 32 bit and installed Ubuntu 8.04.1-desktop-i386.
> Still having problems.
> First its stuck at 800x600 max.
>
> I tried the "System > Administration > Hardware Drivers" method from
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia
> and tried using Envy.
>
> Both resulted in a message at the first stage of the boot process:
>
> Ubuntu is running in low-graphic mode.
> Your screen and graphics card could not
> be detected correctly. To use....
>
> This gives choices of monitors and graphics cards and drivers to
choose
> from. But, the only thing that mattered is choosing a monitor. Any
> choice larger than 1280x1024, or any choice of a graphics card or
> driver will result in 800x600 graphics. And better than 800x600 will
> then only appear after a second restart, after choosing 1280x1024 and
> nothing else.
>
> I have a second machine, a KVM switch and second LCD panel, so I've
> swapped out just about everything. The only thing I haven't done is
put
> the new 1680x1050 LCD on the old machine.
>
> I installed read-edid on both machines. Only the old machine could
read
> the edid info from the old monitor.
> ***Does this mean the new motherboard is bad?
>
> The new LCD has been connected to the new machine with both the analog
> and DVI connectors.
>
> I couldn't get the Nvidia manual installation method to work. Its
> outside my skills, and I don't really think it will work, anyway.
>

> Any ideas?

What can I say? When I loaded Hardy it asked if I wanted the good
nVidia driver and I said yes. I got it and my computer has been just
great since. It works.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.

15/08/2008 5:29 PM

Old 08-16-2008, 01:50 AM
"David Fox"

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Young <tuxman@knology.net> wrote:
> Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache
>
> ECS GF7100PVT-M3 Motherboard with onboard graphics.
> North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 7100
> South Bridge nForce 630i
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135066

I have a similar system (ECS, 6100-pn-m) but it is an amd64 dual core
cpu, rather than an intel one, and I have a nForce 430 chipset and an
nVidia 6100 on chip video controller.

I went straight to a 64 bit Ubuntu HH install on this new system
approximately 2.5 months ago, and originally got the nvidia-glx
(that's the usermode graphics portion of the driver) working in
relatively short order, but only because I remembered having to do it
in Debian Lenny, running an older motherboard and an nVidia FX 5200
for some time -- the ECS motherboard replaced it. I also saved off my
old xorg.conf file from Debian and used it in Ubuntu.

I'm not so sure I could get it up and running in the same way doing it
"through the menus" (aka the ubuntu way) but it wasn't too difficult
to get it up and running via the command line, at least initially,
using the driver version 169.12. Note on my system, there are some
bizarre artifacts on the screen on first loading up X, but those can
be removed if one does first a ctrl-alt-F1 (text mode) followed by
alt-F7. Even compiz works (nicely, too).

I had some system problems (btw, how is the stability of that MB, as I
have had issues here, possibly overheating related, although my
"thermostat" rarely if ever goes above 57 degrees C. I've had errors
come from running something like folding@home for a long period of
time, although I've been running seti@home since approx day one on the
motherboard, and no strange effects, so far, that I can attribute
directly to that app. I've also had 2 really bizarre failures where
parts of my filesystem were hosed (I could restore from backups - and
other issues with the filesystem not being 100% reliable, such as when
dealing with lots of writes in one of two of my xfs partitions (/home
& /storage). I only mention this sidebar of sorts because you have a
similar MB as I do.

And, one of those system problems made it not able to boot X. So I
spent sometime trying to reinstall the nvidia 169.12 driver, using the
same procedure as before, to no avail. Eventually I gave up and
installed the nvidia driver 173.09 from nvidia's site. It's not the
best way to do this, because there's no package management involved if
and when nvidia comes up with driver improvements.

Things work OK now. However, there's one gotcha: the driver module
will not load on boot, and I cannot modprobe it. I can only insmod it.
Not too terrible, although it takes a little more work to get back to
where I want to be after a reboot, and I don't reboot very often.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:06 AM
Young

Peter Goggin wrote:
> Sounds similar to the problem I had. I found that with a KVM switch the
> Linux box has to remain selected until the completion of the boot and
> log on process. The monitor is then set to the maximum resolution and I
> can choose from a full range of different options usning preferences. If
> the KVM is swithed to a different computer then the Linux box only
> recognises some default configuration (88 x 600). It requires a reboot
> with the KVM set to the linux box to correct this problem.
>
> Regards
>

> Peter Goggin

I thought of that, or read it somewhere. I've connected the new box to
its own monitor, and re-installed several times since then.

Mark

Old 08-16-2008, 03:18 AM
Young

Karl Larsen wrote:

> What can I say? When I loaded Hardy it asked if I wanted the good
> nVidia driver and I said yes. I got it and my computer has been just
> great since. It works.
>
> Karl

Well, I'm really happy for you, Karl.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Karl, for shame. That's not helping with the problem.
See below for my reply:
--- Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> Young wrote:
> > I can't make the Nvidia drivers active, and can't
> detect the graphics
> > hardware or the monitor.
> >
> > I just built a new system, and Ubuntu is giving me
> fits because of
> > Nvidia. I wanted to avoid Nvidia, but when you try
> to find a good
> > low/medium cost system with decent performance it
> seems to be the only
> > choice.

Why avoid Nvidia, it's the best supported video in
Ubuntu.

> > Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz
> 1MB L2 Cache
> >
> > ECS GF7100PVT-M3 Motherboard with onboard
> graphics.
> > North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 7100
> > South Bridge nForce 630i

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135066

> > Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64 has problems which
> I described in the
> > thread "New System Problem", and couldn't solve.
> > ---------------------------------
> > I've backed off to 32 bit and installed Ubuntu
> 8.04.1-desktop-i386.
> > Still having problems.
> > First its stuck at 800x600 max.

I have a fairly new Gateway 5656GT, 3 gig ram,
AMD64_X2 6000+, 3 GHtz and have gutsy and hardy both
installed using the AMD64 alternate iso and it just
works prety much. Also have the 32 and 64 bits
installed ubuntu with reg kde and kde 4.1. The kde 4.1
is somewhat buggy but that's what I use and like it
although flash is buggy. I find the alternate iso
easier to use and to control partitions better than
the live CD. Oh, an I'm a semi noob also, damn sur
not an expert. Read on.

> > I tried the "System > Administration > Hardware
> Drivers" method from

That's when I first messed up X windows, using the K
menu->System->Settings->nvidia X server settings and
Hardware Driver Manager. Did this to help out newbie
users off-line having issues and not making progress
on the list. Been there; done that. It dropped me into
a low resolution mode and X wouldn't boot. Keep
reading for what I had to do to get X working again on
my LG L226 WTQS BF Flatron Wide monitor witn native
resolution of 1680x1050 @ 69 Htz and nvidia G71
[GeForce 7300GS].

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia
> > and tried using Envy.

Haven't read this yet but it's on my firefox tab and
will read it eventually. I'm still learning too, I
hope I am anyway.

> > Both resulted in a message at the first stage of
> the boot process:
> >
> > Ubuntu is running in low-graphic mode.
> > Your screen and graphics card could not
> > be detected correctly. To use....

............. To use you have to setup you
card/monitor manually. That the one. I got it too and
the setup didn't work for me. It had by manufacture
listed for monitor and card but the exact model for
each wasn't in the stupid listings. Wasted a good bit
of time on this and never solved anything. Keep on
reading.

> > This gives choices of monitors and graphics cards
> and drivers to choose
> > from. But, the only thing that mattered is
> choosing a monitor. Any
> > choice larger than 1280x1024, or any choice of a
> graphics card or
> > driver will result in 800x600 graphics. And better
> than 800x600 will
> > then only appear after a second restart, after
> choosing 1280x1024 and
> > nothing else.

Ridiculous wasn't it and a waste of time. I didn't
even get as far as you did.

> > I have a second machine, a KVM switch and second
> LCD panel, so I've
> > swapped out just about everything. The only thing
> I haven't done is put
> > the new 1680x1050 LCD on the old machine.

It would probably work on the old machine or at least
an older version of Ubuntu, like gutsy. I believe this
is a Hardy Heron issue only. Sorry, I don't know
anything about KVM switches.

> > I installed read-edid on both machines. Only the
> old machine could read
> > the edid info from the old monitor.
> > ***Does this mean the new motherboard is bad?

I don't think so but don't really know. ASMOF,
aptitude show and search didn't list anything except
"not a real package. So I don't know what it does.

> > The new LCD has been connected to the new machine
> with both the analog
> > and DVI connectors.

I only use the DVI connector, FWIW.

> > I couldn't get the Nvidia manual installation
> method to work. Its
> > outside my skills, and I don't really think it
> will work, anyway.
> >

> > Any ideas?

I haven't used any of the Ubuntu howtos for Nvidia so
can't comment but here's what I found out and did to
resolve my low resolution graphics and eventually not
being able to boot into X only to ttys:

Somehow and I don't know how or why but using the K
menu(KDE 4.1) items "Hardware Driver Manager" and
"Nvidia X Server Settings" caused removal of the
nvidia-glx-new-envy driver module. Some on the list
may argue that it can't happen but I have kept my
maching up-to-date on Hardy and know it was installed.
I did an "aptitude show nvidia-glx-new-envy" which
said it was not installed so I'm absolutely sure of
it.
I just reinstalled nvidia-glx-new-envy after running
the XFIX program in recovery mode to be able to boot
up into the Kde 4.1 X windows and did a:
"sudo /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel restart"
and after rebooting all is well and I see the large
Nvidia boot splash screen which indicates all is well
with Nvidia and X windows. I don't know if the
restarting of the nvidia-kernel was even necessary but
my guru friend off list said it's worth a try so I
did. Probably just rebooting would have accomplished
the same thing. I don't know if you've kept your
machine up to date; if so the new envy driver program
is automatically installed. If so, do an aptitude show
nvidia-glx-new-envy and if it show not installed then
you might give a go on what I did and see if it fixes
you problem. No guarantees but worth a try. Queer
that using the two menu item mentioned could mess up X
windows for me but I'm sure it did and will avoid them
in the future. HTH and let us know how it came out.
Karl's comment wasn't too helpful but pretty much the
case for Ubuntu Hardy. Hardy keep getting better with
each update so keep it updated and enjoy it.

> What can I say? When I loaded Hardy it asked if
> I wanted the good
> nVidia driver and I said yes. I got it and my
> computer has been just
> great since. It works.
>
> Karl
>

> --
>
> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23
> 53A7

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Karl Larsen

Peter Goggin wrote:
> Sounds similar to the problem I had. I found that with a KVM switch the
> Linux box has to remain selected until the completion of the boot and
> log on process. The monitor is then set to the maximum resolution and I
> can choose from a full range of different options usning preferences. If
> the KVM is swithed to a different computer then the Linux box only
> recognises some default configuration (88 x 600). It requires a reboot
> with the KVM set to the linux box to correct this problem.
>
> Regards
>

> Peter Goggin

I can add that I have just one computer and I use Gnome, not KVM. I
see your still using Windows to send this email. There is nothing more I
can do since I don't use 2 computers or KVM.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Karl Larsen

David Fox wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Young <tuxman@knology.net> wrote:
>
>> Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache
>>
>> ECS GF7100PVT-M3 Motherboard with onboard graphics.
>> North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 7100
>> South Bridge nForce 630i
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135066
>>

> I have a similar system (ECS, 6100-pn-m) but it is an amd64 dual core
> cpu, rather than an intel one, and I have a nForce 430 chipset and an
> nVidia 6100 on chip video controller.
>
> I went straight to a 64 bit Ubuntu HH install on this new system
> approximately 2.5 months ago, and originally got the nvidia-glx
> (that's the usermode graphics portion of the driver) working in
> relatively short order, but only because I remembered having to do it
> in Debian Lenny, running an older motherboard and an nVidia FX 5200
> for some time -- the ECS motherboard replaced it. I also saved off my
> old xorg.conf file from Debian and used it in Ubuntu.
>
> I'm not so sure I could get it up and running in the same way doing it
> "through the menus" (aka the ubuntu way) but it wasn't too difficult
> to get it up and running via the command line, at least initially,
> using the driver version 169.12. Note on my system, there are some
> bizarre artifacts on the screen on first loading up X, but those can
> be removed if one does first a ctrl-alt-F1 (text mode) followed by
> alt-F7. Even compiz works (nicely, too).
>
> I had some system problems (btw, how is the stability of that MB, as I
> have had issues here, possibly overheating related, although my
> "thermostat" rarely if ever goes above 57 degrees C. I've had errors
> come from running something like folding@home for a long period of
> time, although I've been running seti@home since approx day one on the
> motherboard, and no strange effects, so far, that I can attribute
> directly to that app. I've also had 2 really bizarre failures where
> parts of my filesystem were hosed (I could restore from backups - and
> other issues with the filesystem not being 100% reliable, such as when
> dealing with lots of writes in one of two of my xfs partitions (/home
> & /storage). I only mention this sidebar of sorts because you have a
> similar MB as I do.
>
> And, one of those system problems made it not able to boot X. So I
> spent sometime trying to reinstall the nvidia 169.12 driver, using the
> same procedure as before, to no avail. Eventually I gave up and
> installed the nvidia driver 173.09 from nvidia's site. It's not the
> best way to do this, because there's no package management involved if
> and when nvidia comes up with driver improvements.
>
> Things work OK now. However, there's one gotcha: the driver module
> will not load on boot, and I cannot modprobe it. I can only insmod it.
> Not too terrible, although it takes a little more work to get back to
> where I want to be after a reboot, and I don't reboot very often.

This is why new users return to Windows :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Young

Karl Larsen wrote:

> I can add that I have just one computer and I use Gnome, not KVM. I
> see your still using Windows to send this email. There is nothing more I
> can do since I don't use 2 computers or KVM.
>
> Karl

Karl,

KVM, not KDE.

A KVM switch is a hardware device that allows the use of two or more
computers from one Keyboard, Video monitor, and Mouse.
I shouldn't have assumed that everyone knew what they were.

Mine is the simplest/cheapest (~$25) version, just a Y-cable set that
allows you to switch between 2 computers by double-clicking the Scroll
Lock key. It's very handy to have if you fix computers for family and
friends.

Mark