Old 08-15-2008, 06:13 PM
"Michael Haney"

Default Adding Startup Apps in Kubuntu

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Mumia W.
> Place your startup scripts into the ~/.kde/Autostart folder.

As usual, another cryptic answer from this group. Where exactly is
that folder? I've spent about 2 hours looking for it already.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 08-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Nils Kassube

Michael Haney wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Mumia W.
>
> > Place your startup scripts into the ~/.kde/Autostart folder.
>
> As usual, another cryptic answer from this group. Where exactly is
> that folder? I've spent about 2 hours looking for it already.

That depends on your login name. If your login is "michael" it would
be "/home/michael/.kde/Autostart". As .kde is a hidden folder, you should
enable the display of hidden files, if you search for it using a file
manager. Whenver you see a path starting with "~/", replace that with
your home folder which would be "/home/michael/" in the example above.

Nils

Old 08-16-2008, 01:29 AM
"Michael Haney"

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> That depends on your login name. If your login is "michael" it would
> be "/home/michael/.kde/Autostart". As .kde is a hidden folder, you should
> enable the display of hidden files, if you search for it using a file
> manager. Whenver you see a path starting with "~/", replace that with
> your home folder which would be "/home/michael/" in the example above.

Thank you. Its been like 10 years since I've messed around with
Linux. KDE is SO different now from what I remember it on Red Hat
back in the day. Things are coming back to me but not enough and so
much has changed that much of what I did know is now obsolete. Linux
has certain evolved a great deal since the last time I dabbled with
it.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Derek Broughton

Michael Haney wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Mumia W.
>> Place your startup scripts into the ~/.kde/Autostart folder.
>>

> As usual, another cryptic answer from this group. Where exactly is
> that folder? I've spent about 2 hours looking for it already.

How can an absolutely literally correct answer be called "cryptic"? If you
expect help, you should really try to be less dismissive when you _get_
help.

As you were told, it's in ~/.kde/Autostart. How can you possibly spend two
hours looking for it?

derek@bella:~$ ls ~/.kde/Autostart
derek@bella:~$ ls ~/.kde/Autostart -la
total 12
drwx------ 2 derek derek 32 2008-05-08 10:23 .
drwxrwx--- 6 derek derek 4096 2007-05-02 20:14 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 derek derek 1990 2008-05-06 09:10 .directory

It's possible that the Autostart directory doesn't exist by default. So
create it.
--
derek

Old 08-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Derek Broughton

Michael Haney wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
>> That depends on your login name. If your login is "michael" it would
>> be "/home/michael/.kde/Autostart". As .kde is a hidden folder, you should
>> enable the display of hidden files, if you search for it using a file
>> manager. Whenver you see a path starting with "~/", replace that with
>> your home folder which would be "/home/michael/" in the example above.
>>

> Thank you. Its been like 10 years since I've messed around with
> Linux. KDE is SO different now from what I remember it on Red Hat
> back in the day. Things are coming back to me but not enough and so
> much has changed that much of what I did know is now obsolete. Linux
> has certain evolved a great deal since the last time I dabbled with
> it.

That's ridiculous. First, while Nils said to replace "~/", you only need to
do it in your head. It's been a part of Unix since, if not the very
earliest version, at least since the '80s.
--
derek

Old 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
James Takac

Hi Derek

On Sunday 17 August 2008 04:21:12 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Michael Haney wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Mumia W.
> >
> >> Place your startup scripts into the ~/.kde/Autostart folder.
> >
> > As usual, another cryptic answer from this group. Where exactly is
> > that folder? I've spent about 2 hours looking for it already.
>
> How can an absolutely literally correct answer be called "cryptic"? If you
> expect help, you should really try to be less dismissive when you _get_
> help.
>
> As you were told, it's in ~/.kde/Autostart. How can you possibly spend two
> hours looking for it?
>
> derek@bella:~$ ls ~/.kde/Autostart
> derek@bella:~$ ls ~/.kde/Autostart -la
> total 12
> drwx------ 2 derek derek 32 2008-05-08 10:23 .
> drwxrwx--- 6 derek derek 4096 2007-05-02 20:14 ..
> -rw-r--r-- 1 derek derek 1990 2008-05-06 09:10 .directory
>
> It's possible that the Autostart directory doesn't exist by default. So
> create it.
> --
> derek

It's also possible that he doesn't know the .kde folder is a hidden folder and
so if he's searching via the file manager he needs to set it to show hidden
files. As I use gnome and nautilus I'm not exactly sure where to enable that
setting but would guess

View --> Show Hidden

or something like that

Maybe he also doesn't know the ~/ is short for the /home/username directory?

I can't see from the above what he tried in order to look for it so I have to
guess myself

James