Old 08-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Doug Pollard

Default different users

At the present time I have two hard drives one with ubuntu (sb1) on
it and the other with ubuntu studio (sb2) . I have Cinelerra on ubuntu
first drive but not on Ubuntu studio as there seems to be some problems
that as yet i am not competant to overcome.
What I'm wondering is it doable to set up studio for one user and
regular ubunto 8.04 for the other and then inter react one with the
other to do video and sound to build movie's or video.
I will likely not change my set up right now if it is a doable thing
as right at the moment trying to do a video and learn Linux command line
are about all I can stand.
Another questio is are their some good cheat sheets for comands that
might be opend from the desk top? What I have looked at are in
alphabetical order which seems to me kind of useless if you don't know
what command you are looking for.

Thanks anyone,

Doug

Old 08-15-2008, 05:51 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/8/15 Doug Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net>:
> At the present time I have two hard drives one with ubuntu (sb1) on
> it and the other with ubuntu studio (sb2) . I have Cinelerra on ubuntu
> first drive but not on Ubuntu studio as there seems to be some problems
> that as yet i am not competant to overcome.
> What I'm wondering is it doable to set up studio for one user and
> regular ubunto 8.04 for the other and then inter react one with the
> other to do video and sound to build movie's or video.
> I will likely not change my set up right now if it is a doable thing
> as right at the moment trying to do a video and learn Linux command line
> are about all I can stand.
> Another questio is are their some good cheat sheets for comands that
> might be opend from the desk top? What I have looked at are in
> alphabetical order which seems to me kind of useless if you don't know
> what command you are looking for.
>
> Thanks anyone,
>
> Doug

If you have /home as a separate partition then you can mount it in
both systems, and you _can_ use the same user account (with the same
user name) easily with both systems.

That said, I advise against it. Programs store their config info in
/home/user/.dotfiles and often different versions of a program use
conflicting config file formats. Digikam 0.10 is a good, recent
example of this, as is Firefox 3.

What I recommend is to have /home on a separate partition, with two
users, one for each system. You can then give each user access to the
other's files. This setup has many other advantages as well, such as
testing new Ubuntu versions and different distros without loosing your
current setup (easy migration).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 PM
NoOp

On 08/15/2008 07:41 AM, Doug Pollard wrote:
> At the present time I have two hard drives one with ubuntu (sb1) on
> it and the other with ubuntu studio (sb2) . I have Cinelerra on ubuntu
> first drive but not on Ubuntu studio as there seems to be some problems
> that as yet i am not competant to overcome.
> What I'm wondering is it doable to set up studio for one user and
> regular ubunto 8.04 for the other and then inter react one with the
> other to do video and sound to build movie's or video.
> I will likely not change my set up right now if it is a doable thing
> as right at the moment trying to do a video and learn Linux command line
> are about all I can stand.
> Another questio is are their some good cheat sheets for comands that
> might be opend from the desk top? What I have looked at are in
> alphabetical order which seems to me kind of useless if you don't know
> what command you are looking for.
>
> Thanks anyone,
>
> Doug

Perhaps you can just add studio to the first drive? You can do this from
Synaptic:
System|Administration|Synaptic|Edit|Mark Packages by Task|
1) 2D/3D creation and editing suite
2) Audio creation and editing suite
3) Ubuntu Studio Desktop
4) Video creation and editing suite
(check the boxs and click OK)
and then 'Apply'. That should pull in and install all of the packages
that you'd find on the Ubuntu Studio DVD. Warning, you are probably in
for a lot of download time, so schedule accordingly.

Notes:
1. I've not tried these packages myself so you might google a bit first.
2. You can leave off #3 if you don't care about having the Studio Desktop.
3. Heads up: there is a bug filed against #4:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tasksel/+bug/219653
[ "Video creation and editing suite" install fails with "aptitude failed
(100)"]
So I don't know if you will encounter the same problem.

Also see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Installation
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UpgradingFromHardy
which suggests (from a terminal):

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install ubuntustudio-desktop
ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics
ubuntustudio-video linux-rt

Note: above is all one line.
And given bug 219653 (which involves taskel - used by Synapic) the
terminal method may be the way to go. Same download sheduling applies.

That way you can use sdb1 as if it's a fresh Studio install and still
access the files on sdb2 from sdb1. Once comfortable with that, pull the
necessary files you need off of sdb2 and reformate sdb2 as an ext3 data
drive for storage of your video files and/or as a backup.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Doug Pollard

NoOp wrote:
> On 08/15/2008 07:41 AM, Doug Pollard wrote:
>

>> Doug
>>

> Perhaps you can just add studio to the first drive? You can do this from
> Synaptic:
> System|Administration|Synaptic|Edit|Mark Packages by Task|
> 1) 2D/3D creation and editing suite
> 2) Audio creation and editing suite
> 3) Ubuntu Studio Desktop
> 4) Video creation and editing suite
> (check the boxs and click OK)
> and then 'Apply'. That should pull in and install all of the packages
> that you'd find on the Ubuntu Studio DVD. Warning, you are probably in
> for a lot of download time, so schedule accordingly.
>
> Notes:
> 1. I've not tried these packages myself so you might google a bit first.
> 2. You can leave off #3 if you don't care about having the Studio Desktop.
> 3. Heads up: there is a bug filed against #4:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tasksel/+bug/219653
> [ "Video creation and editing suite" install fails with "aptitude failed
> (100)"]
> So I don't know if you will encounter the same problem.
>
> Also see:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Installation
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UpgradingFromHardy
> which suggests (from a terminal):
>
> sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install ubuntustudio-desktop
> ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics
> ubuntustudio-video linux-rt
>
> Note: above is all one line.
> And given bug 219653 (which involves taskel - used by Synapic) the
> terminal method may be the way to go. Same download sheduling applies.
>
> That way you can use sdb1 as if it's a fresh Studio install and still
> access the files on sdb2 from sdb1. Once comfortable with that, pull the
> necessary files you need off of sdb2 and reformate sdb2 as an ext3 data
> drive for storage of your video files and/or as a backup.

No Op,
At the moment until I get this first video finished I am a little
afraid to make this change but will a little later. Cinelerra did not
run well in Ubuntu 7.10 studio. Lots of crashes and errors I read a
lot about it on the Cinelerra list and many had a bad time of it. I
don't know if it's been straightened out or not?? I have a couple
external drives for back up so I saved the sound to it and load to disk
#1 to put to video there for the time being. I need to go back to the
Cinelerra site and see what they are saying about running in studio. I
would like to get it all on one drive working together if possible. I
will a little later be doing a video of the inland waterway trip from
Virgina through Florida the northern and southern Bahamas and Florida
keys. It will be pretty near two hours in length so I will need drive
#2 to work on as well as #1. It will take all of my two external drives
for back up. Before I start this I have to get my act together on using
the command line. It's coming!
Been reading a little on the Kino page. Kino does not enable
raw1394 because it is a security problem because any thing hooked to
the fire wire cable has access to the entire computer. So kino should
be run by root. the the file ownership needs to be changed to user
and put in user home file. This is because Cinelerra
has to use it in its home file back and forth from there to cinelera and
saved to the user file.
I am afraid of doing all that editing as root. They say there in Kino
do not give permission to user to use raw1394 because in effect user
becomes root as far as what he can do. That sounds very dangerous to
me. Hope all this makes sense.
Thanks Doug

Old 08-16-2008, 01:06 AM
NoOp

On 08/15/2008 04:42 PM, Doug Pollard wrote:
[snip]

> No Op,
> At the moment until I get this first video finished I am a little
> afraid to make this change but will a little later. Cinelerra did not
> run well in Ubuntu 7.10 studio. Lots of crashes and errors I read a
> lot about it on the Cinelerra list and many had a bad time of it. I
> don't know if it's been straightened out or not??

No idea, as I've only 'toyed' with it to see what it was about. However,
my guess would be that it probably was just 7.10 in general as 'Studio'
is basically packaging of various audio, video etc files ontop of
standard Gnome (I think - I'll check further).

What I can do this weekend is try the Gnome to Studio addition on a
hardy test machine to see if it blows up or just slides right in. That
way you can get a 'live' opinion before you decide to try it on your
machine. :-)

I have a couple
> external drives for back up so I saved the sound to it and load to disk
> #1 to put to video there for the time being. I need to go back to the
> Cinelerra site and see what they are saying about running in studio. I
> would like to get it all on one drive working together if possible. I
> will a little later be doing a video of the inland waterway trip from
> Virgina through Florida the northern and southern Bahamas and Florida
> keys. It will be pretty near two hours in length so I will need drive
> #2 to work on as well as #1. It will take all of my two external drives
> for back up. Before I start this I have to get my act together on using
> the command line. It's coming!
> Been reading a little on the Kino page. Kino does not enable
> raw1394 because it is a security problem because any thing hooked to
> the fire wire cable has access to the entire computer. So kino should
> be run by root. the the file ownership needs to be changed to user
> and put in user home file. This is because Cinelerra
> has to use it in its home file back and forth from there to cinelera and
> saved to the user file.
> I am afraid of doing all that editing as root. They say there in Kino
> do not give permission to user to use raw1394 because in effect user
> becomes root as far as what he can do. That sounds very dangerous to
> me. Hope all this makes sense.
> Thanks Doug

It does make sense... but it's pretty much over my head :-)

Old 08-17-2008, 02:28 AM
NoOp

On 08/15/2008 06:06 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/15/2008 04:42 PM, Doug Pollard wrote:
> [snip]
>>>
>> No Op,
>> At the moment until I get this first video finished I am a little
>> afraid to make this change but will a little later. Cinelerra did not
>> run well in Ubuntu 7.10 studio. Lots of crashes and errors I read a
>> lot about it on the Cinelerra list and many had a bad time of it. I
>> don't know if it's been straightened out or not??
>
> No idea, as I've only 'toyed' with it to see what it was about. However,
> my guess would be that it probably was just 7.10 in general as 'Studio'
> is basically packaging of various audio, video etc files ontop of
> standard Gnome (I think - I'll check further).
>
> What I can do this weekend is try the Gnome to Studio addition on a
> hardy test machine to see if it blows up or just slides right in. That
> way you can get a 'live' opinion before you decide to try it on your
> machine. :-)

Doug, I updated the test machine today using the command line:
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install ubuntustudio-audio
ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video linux-rt

And it worked just fine. I left out ubuntustudio-desktop from the
command as I wasn't interested in installing the actual
ubuntustudio-desktop and having it replace the ubuntu-desktop.

Note: I elected to allow it to use the package grub and that puts the
2.6.24-19-386 kernel first in the grub menu and the 2.6.24-19-rt kernel
second. Booting into either works without problems, however I wonder why
that selection removed 2.6.24-19-generic; I'll reinstall
2.6.24-19-generic and see if it has any odd effects.

From looking at the Graphics menu I spot several new programs:

- Blender (full screen)
- Blender (windowed)
- Stopmotion
- Synfig Studio

In Sound & video:
Aconnectgui
Aeolus
Ardor GTK2
Audacious
Beast
Bitscope
Creox c
Echomixer
Elisa Media Center
Envy24Control
Freebirth
Freqtweak
Genpo
Gnome CD Master
GNU Denemo
Gtick
HDSPConf
HDSPMixer
Hexter
Hydrogen
Jackbeat
Jack Control
JackE
Jack Rack
Jack Timemachine
Jamin
kino
meterbridge
mixxx
muse
musescore
offconvert
open movie editor
patchage
puredata
qamix
qsynth
rmedigcontrol
rosegarden
seq24
sooperlooper
sound recorder
stopmotion
terminatorX
tvtime television viewer
virtual midi keyboard
xawtv
zynaddsubfx sotware synthesizer

All of which can/could be installed individually.

In any event, it downloads about 544MB and installed just fine. So if
you reach a point that you decide to add studio to sdb1 it should do
just fine. Added note: I've not tried any of the applications (yet) so
none of the above should be construed as 'installed and working'.