Old 08-15-2008, 09:05 AM
"Ashish Yadav"

Default Knowing which process is accessing disk mostly

Hi All,

Many a times it happens that I see a lot of disk activity even though
I am not running any programs. Looking in System Monitor doesn't show
a column for disk activity or any related information.

How can I sort out processes to know which is the process, which is
accessing disk most actively?

Ashish

"There are 10 types of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't"

Old 08-15-2008, 09:18 AM
"Owen Townend"

2008/8/15 Ashish Yadav <ashishyadav26@gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> Many a times it happens that I see a lot of disk activity even though
> I am not running any programs. Looking in System Monitor doesn't show
> a column for disk activity or any related information.
>
> How can I sort out processes to know which is the process, which is
> accessing disk most actively?

There is a console monitor 'atop' which can do network and disk usage
per process. The default view is only totals as a kernel patch is
required to get the more detailed stats. I too would be interested if
there is a monitor out there that can present this type of info
without a kernel patch.

cheers,
Owen.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

Owen Townend schreef:
> 2008/8/15 Ashish Yadav <ashishyadav26@gmail.com>:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Many a times it happens that I see a lot of disk activity even though
>> I am not running any programs. Looking in System Monitor doesn't show
>> a column for disk activity or any related information.
>>
>> How can I sort out processes to know which is the process, which is
>> accessing disk most actively?
>>

> There is a console monitor 'atop' which can do network and disk usage
> per process. The default view is only totals as a kernel patch is
> required to get the more detailed stats. I too would be interested if
> there is a monitor out there that can present this type of info
> without a kernel patch.
>
> cheers,
> Owen.

For this task I use gkrellm.It can be installed with synaptic.
It gives all relevant hardware information (temp, fan-speed, voltages,
disks, etc.).
I use it over 4 years in diferent Linux flavors.
Joep

Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

"Joep L. Blom" <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> said:
> For this task I use gkrellm.It can be installed with synaptic.
> It gives all relevant hardware information (temp, fan-speed,
> voltages, disks, etc.).
> I use it over 4 years in diferent Linux flavors.
> Joep

I use gps started from gkrellm's GKrellm-bfm. It's a graphical
representation of top and you may sort by clicking on the top tabs. To
see what's using your CPU just click ion the CPU tab.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
I just realized that to run Netscape from my Windows OS
I have to type <START>, P(rograms), A(pps), I(nternet),

Old 08-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Florian Diesch

"Owen Townend" <owen.townend@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/8/15 Ashish Yadav <ashishyadav26@gmail.com>:

> There is a console monitor 'atop' which can do network and disk usage
> per process. The default view is only totals as a kernel patch is
> required to get the more detailed stats. I too would be interested if
> there is a monitor out there that can present this type of info
> without a kernel patch.

Here (Ubuntu 8.04) atop works with the standard kernel. Pressing "d"
sorts according to disk activity, "d" shows some disk activity details

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 08-19-2008, 08:31 AM
"Ashish Yadav"

No one knows?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Knapp

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Ashish Yadav <ashishyadav26@gmail.com> wrote:

No one knows?

Ashish

"There are 10 types of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't"

I would love to know how to do things like this also because I want to get a new harddrive and want to know what to put where to make my system faster. Should root go on one and home on the other etc??

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 08-19-2008, 09:01 AM
"Ashish Yadav"

Apologies for previous mail, my mail delivery was off.

However I am trying to find current activities, pressing "d" in atop
tell me percentage of total disk activity not which process right now
is accessing most.

gkrellm also doesn't give that information.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Florian Diesch

"Ashish Yadav" <ashishyadav26@gmail.com> wrote:

> However I am trying to find current activities, pressing "d" in atop
> tell me percentage of total disk activity not which process right now
> is accessing most.

It works for me in a freshly installed Xubuntu 8.04 with the generic
x86 Kernel.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 08-25-2008, 11:20 PM
"Owen Townend"

2008/8/16 Florian Diesch <diesch@spamfence.net>:
> "Owen Townend" <owen.townend@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2008/8/15 Ashish Yadav <ashishyadav26@gmail.com>:
>
>> There is a console monitor 'atop' which can do network and disk usage
>> per process. The default view is only totals as a kernel patch is
>> required to get the more detailed stats. I too would be interested if
>> there is a monitor out there that can present this type of info
>> without a kernel patch.
>
> Here (Ubuntu 8.04) atop works with the standard kernel. Pressing "d"
> sorts according to disk activity, "d" shows some disk activity details
>

> Florian

So it does, I haven't tried it in a long time because of the original
need for a patch. Great to know!
The network use per process still seems to need a patch though.
Hopefully next time.

cheers,
Owen.