Old 08-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Mikael Backman

Default need help with jackd

Hi,

I try to play a musicmp3-file with mplayer -ao jack .. The sound is
scratshy. To start jackd I run 'jackd -d alsa -s -n=24'
Of course I have no idea how to start jackd properly
Help would be appreciated

/Mikael

Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Nigel Henry

On Friday 15 August 2008 10:18, Mikael Backman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to play a musicmp3-file with mplayer -ao jack .. The sound is
> scratshy. To start jackd I run 'jackd -d alsa -s -n=24'
> Of course I have no idea how to start jackd properly
> Help would be appreciated
>
> /Mikael

Hi Mikael. First I'd install Qjackctl, which is a GUI where you can get to the
settings for jack, and also has a midi connections section.

If your soundcard is an hda intel based one, I've seen that changing the
Periods/Buffer in Qjackctl's setup, from 2 to 3, can fix stuttery sound, and
only last night verified that while playing something on ZynAddSubFX synth,
where the sound was all stuttery before changing the Period/Buffer to 3.

I don't use Mplayer to play mp3's, but the above is worth a try

Nigel.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Mikael Backman

On fre, 2008-08-15 at 13:14 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Friday 15 August 2008 10:18, Mikael Backman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I try to play a musicmp3-file with mplayer -ao jack .. The sound is
> > scratshy. To start jackd I run 'jackd -d alsa -s -n=24'
> > Of course I have no idea how to start jackd properly
> > Help would be appreciated
> >
> > /Mikael
>
> Hi Mikael. First I'd install Qjackctl, which is a GUI where you can get to the
> settings for jack, and also has a midi connections section.
>
> If your soundcard is an hda intel based one, I've seen that changing the
> Periods/Buffer in Qjackctl's setup, from 2 to 3, can fix stuttery sound, and
> only last night verified that while playing something on ZynAddSubFX synth,
> where the sound was all stuttery before changing the Period/Buffer to 3.
>
> I don't use Mplayer to play mp3's, but the above is worth a try
>
> Nigel.

Thanx Nigel... Qjackctl made it easy to try different settings..
Mplayer sounds fine now