Old 08-15-2008, 07:01 AM
"Robert Lutaaya"

Default Activation of a wireless Network

Dear All,

I salute you all; New member to the list.

I have just acquired an aspire 4315 laptop, installed is Ubuntu 7:10 OS. I cant access the wireless card however its detected (Atheros)

Should i go ahead and download the madawifi 0.9.4 file to boost ma note book?

kind regards
--
Robert K Lutaaya

Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him Dad!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 AM
"Michael Haney"

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 3:01 AM, Robert Lutaaya <klutaaya@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I salute you all; New member to the list.
>
> I have just acquired an aspire 4315 laptop, installed is Ubuntu 7:10 OS. I
> cant access the wireless card however its detected (Atheros)
>
> Should i go ahead and download the madawifi 0.9.4 file to boost ma note
> book?
>
> kind regards

Oh please please, if you get a straight answer on how to do this
please please let me know because I have an Aspire 4520 with an
Atheros wireless adapter and I can't get it to work and according to
Hardware Drivers Manager its detected and installed just like with
your laptop.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 08-15-2008, 01:07 PM
"Arthur H. Johnson II"

Robert,

I hear that the latest madwifi works, but I've never tried it. I have
Xubuntu 8.04.1 on an Acer 5315 and I had to use ndiswrapper to get the
wireless to work. Here are the steps I took, in general, to get
wireless up:

1. First, blacklist ath_pci:
# sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
( Add 'blacklist ath_pci' to the end of the file )

2. Install ndiswrapper-utils. The package for me was
ndiswrapper-utils-1.9, but I'm on Hardy. It is probably different on gutsy.

3. Download the XP drivers for the Atheros wireless card. The version
that worked for me was 5.3.0.67. I had to hunt a little for these. DO
NOT get the vista drivers, they do not work. Truth be told, I
downloaded these back when it was running Gutsy, and don't remember
where I got them from. I burned the drivers to a CD-R and have used the
same one since.

4. Uncompress the drivers in a safe location. I put mine in /drv. Find
the XP-x32 directory under Drivers. That is the 32 bit driver, which is
the one I used. Run:
# ndiswrapper -i net5211.inf
You will get a few errors about bits and whatnot. Ignore them.

5. Edit /etc/modules and add 'ndiswrapper' to the bottom of the file.

6. Reboot

7. Profit!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:09 PM
"Arthur H. Johnson II"

Michael Haney wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 3:01 AM, Robert Lutaaya <klutaaya@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I salute you all; New member to the list.
>>
>> I have just acquired an aspire 4315 laptop, installed is Ubuntu 7:10 OS. I
>> cant access the wireless card however its detected (Atheros)
>>
>> Should i go ahead and download the madawifi 0.9.4 file to boost ma note
>> book?
>>
>> kind regards
>>

> Oh please please, if you get a straight answer on how to do this
> please please let me know because I have an Aspire 4520 with an
> Atheros wireless adapter and I can't get it to work and according to
> Hardware Drivers Manager its detected and installed just like with
> your laptop.

It does the same thing with me. It detects the drivers, but it doesn't
work. You have to blacklist those drivers in /etc/modules.d/blacklist
by adding "blacklist ath_pci" and use ndiswrapper with the XP drivers.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:17 PM
"Robert Lutaaya"

Hello Arthur,

Thank you very much, i will surely try it over the weekend and keep you posted too.

All appreciated!

Robert

Old 08-16-2008, 04:31 AM
Mike McMullin

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 06:58 -0400, Michael Haney wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 3:01 AM, Robert Lutaaya <klutaaya@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I salute you all; New member to the list.
> >
> > I have just acquired an aspire 4315 laptop, installed is Ubuntu 7:10 OS. I
> > cant access the wireless card however its detected (Atheros)
> >
> > Should i go ahead and download the madawifi 0.9.4 file to boost ma note
> > book?
> >
> > kind regards
> >

> Oh please please, if you get a straight answer on how to do this
> please please let me know because I have an Aspire 4520 with an
> Atheros wireless adapter and I can't get it to work and according to
> Hardware Drivers Manager its detected and installed just like with
> your laptop.
I have an Aspire 5102WLMI, and here is the output of lspci:

:02.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR2413 802.11bg
NIC (rev 01)

I've booted this laptop using the 8.04 install image, and my wireless
worked no problem, but installed it did not work. I'm on openSuSE11.0
with the mad-wifi drivers using the ath-pci module natively. I did not
think to look at the configuration of the live so I could compare it to
the installed, but this seems like a reasonably good place to start,
IMO. If it works in live, it ought to work installed. Someone
mentioned using ndiswrapper and the Windows driver, to me that's too
much work for something that I know will work.