Old 08-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Linda Vest Castanos

Default Restore Ubuntu MBR -Derek

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 03:05 +0100, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:
> Restore Ubuntu MBR
thanks, this seems easier but one question
you wrote # sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

my mount point is sda 6. Would 6 be added to read
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda6

Ubuntu lover but no guru, thanks much
I don't mean to asked dumb questions. twice a year is to much to
reinstall

Old 08-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Nils Kassube

Linda Vest Castanos wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 03:05 +0100,
> ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> wrote:
> > Restore Ubuntu MBR
>
> thanks, this seems easier but one question
> you wrote # sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
>
> my mount point is sda 6. Would 6 be added to read
> sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda6

If you use

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

grub will be written to the MBR of your disk which is /dev/sda. The
path /mnt is needed for the installer to find the menu.lst and other
files. However if you use

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda6

grub will be written to the partition /dev/sda6 which is probably not what
you want because it doesn't change anything in your MBR.

Nils