Old 08-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Checkman

Default Encrypted LVM backup

Hello All,

I have to install an encryted Ubuntu on my system.
It is done with the Ubuntu alternate installer easily.
The configuration is going to be like this:
/dev/sda1 - as /boot - primary bootable ext2/ext3 partition (unecrypted)
/dev/sda2 - primary partition (physical encrypted partition)
LVM with a volume group
swap - as swap volume
/ - as root ext3 volume

The question is - how to backup effectively such a configuration
completely (there is no any problem with the unencrypted /boot)(?)

I might use any drive imaging software to make an image of the whole
physical encrypted partition (/dev/sda2), but I don't like this idea
cause it's a space consuming solution (encrypted data are not
compressible and software is not aware of the file system used
(occupied blocks)).

There're a lot of possible backup solutions (file/sector level):
dd, dump/restore, rsync, partimage, g4u, ... mondo...
But I'm not very excited about checking them all one after another.

So if anybody has any experience with that let me know please.
Anyway if any ideas cross your mind let me know them as well.

Thanks.

P. S. I've installed a testing configuration on a virtual machine so
I'm ready for any dangerous experimenting...

--
Best regards,
Checkman mailto:CheckBox@mail.ru

Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 2:38 AM, Checkman <CheckBox@mail.ru> wrote:

> Hello All,
> I might use any drive imaging software to make an image of the whole
> physical encrypted partition (/dev/sda2), but I don't like this idea
> cause it's a space consuming solution (encrypted data are not
> compressible and software is not aware of the file system used
> (occupied blocks)).
>
> There're a lot of possible backup solutions (file/sector level):
> dd, dump/restore, rsync, partimage, g4u, ... mondo...
> But I'm not very excited about checking them all one after another.
>
> So if anybody has any experience with that let me know please.
> Anyway if any ideas cross your mind let me know them as well.

The one I've got written down to look at some day is
http://duplicity.nongnu.org/ but I don't think it does whole system
images like you seem to be wanting. I haven't run it myself so this
is only a suggestion.

mondo does file level backups not sector level - so the backups aren't
encrypted unless you do something special afterwards.
If you want encrypted backups, have you considered mounting an
encrypted volume - doing a regular backup to it then unmounting it?
As far as the backup program is concerned it's not an encrypted backup
at all.

Brian