Old 08-15-2008, 12:38 AM
andrea phillips

Default Manners

I feel if you ask for help and someone is able to help thats good but you dont have to call people stupid you didnt know all you know when you got ubuntu so i think we should be a little nicer to everyone as well as ourselfs your bad day is yours and if you dont want anyone to email you unscribe thanks.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Derek Broughton

andrea phillips wrote:

> I feel if you ask for help and someone is able to help thats good but you
> dont have to call people stupid you didnt know all you know when you got
> ubuntu so i think we should be a little nicer to everyone as well as
> ourselfs your bad day is yours and if you dont want anyone to email you
> unscribe thanks.

Manners:

1) Quote and reply. Starting a new thread to complain about previous posts
without letting us know what you're talking about is unfair to everybody.

2) Write sentences.

3) Never, ever, reply to a post on a mailing list via personal email unless
the poster asks you to. Private, unrequested, posts are rude.

And actually, many people here _were_ Linux experts already when they got
Ubuntu. ubuntu was just a slightly different form of Debian in those days.

Yes we should all try to be polite and helpful, or we shouldn't be here, but
some people really make it hard to help them.
--
derek

Old 08-15-2008, 01:57 AM
NoOp

On 08/14/2008 05:38 PM, andrea phillips wrote:
> I feel if you ask for help and someone is able to help thats good but
> you dont have to call people stupid you didnt know all you know when
> you got ubuntu so i think we should be a little nicer to everyone as
> well as ourselfs your bad day is yours and if you dont want anyone to
> email you unscribe thanks.

Did I miss something?

Old 08-15-2008, 03:05 AM
"Verde Denim"

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:57 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 08/14/2008 05:38 PM, andrea phillips wrote:

> I feel if you ask for help and someone is able to help thats good but

> you dont have to call people stupid you didnt know all you know when

> you got ubuntu so i think we should be a little nicer to everyone as

> well as ourselfs your bad day is yours and if you dont want anyone to

> email you unscribe thanks.

Did I miss something?

I was wondering the same thing....

Old 08-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Derek Broughton

NoOp wrote:

> On 08/14/2008 05:38 PM, andrea phillips wrote:
>> I feel if you ask for help and someone is able to help thats good but
>> you dont have to call people stupid you didnt know all you know when
>> you got ubuntu so i think we should be a little nicer to everyone as
>> well as ourselfs your bad day is yours and if you dont want anyone to
>> email you unscribe thanks.
>
> Did I miss something?

Probably - neither my local nntp server or google has any visible posts in
the only thread that andrea seems to have participated. KNode has headers,
but can't downloaded the messages.
--
derek

Old 08-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Ulin the Tech Mage

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 12:42 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
> > On 08/14/2008 05:38 PM, andrea phillips wrote:
> >> I feel if you ask for help and someone is able to help thats good but
> >> you dont have to call people stupid you didnt know all you know when
> >> you got ubuntu so i think we should be a little nicer to everyone as
> >> well as ourselfs your bad day is yours and if you dont want anyone to
> >> email you unscribe thanks.
> >
> > Did I miss something?
>
> Probably - neither my local nntp server or google has any visible posts in
> the only thread that andrea seems to have participated. KNode has headers,
> but can't downloaded the messages.
> --
> derek

I agree with her though. we as experienced linux people need to
remember not to allow our egos to cloud our manners. and we need to
remember that we all need help with something or another eventually. no
one is perfect at everything. this is one of the reasons that I have
not posted in a while. one of the last posts i had, i was flamed. that
is simply not acceptable. I have been working with linux for 9 years
now. I am not a newbie by any means, but the stuff i was working on is
stuff that i have never messed with before.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Doug Pollard

Ulin the Tech Mage wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 12:42 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> Did I miss something?
>>>
>> Probably - neither my local nntp server or google has any visible posts in
>> the only thread that andrea seems to have participated. KNode has headers,
>> but can't downloaded the messages.
>> --
>> derek
>>

> I agree with her though. we as experienced linux people need to
> remember not to allow our egos to cloud our manners. and we need to
> remember that we all need help with something or another eventually. no
> one is perfect at everything. this is one of the reasons that I have
> not posted in a while. one of the last posts i had, i was flamed. that
> is simply not acceptable. I have been working with linux for 9 years
> now. I am not a newbie by any means, but the stuff i was working on is
> stuff that i have never messed with before.

I have a suspicion that this person is referring to a post I made a
while back on someone thought I had not read enough. I was frustrated
and had sat up half the night reading and I lost my temper and said
something about being called stupid. In fact no one did and I apologized
to the list for my own remark. The stupid remark had more to do with
how I was feeling about myself than anything any one said.
Doug

Old 08-15-2008, 04:24 PM
steve

Old 08-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Ulin the Tech Mage

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 12:18 -0400, Doug Pollard wrote:
> Ulin the Tech Mage wrote:

> >> Probably - neither my local nntp server or google has any visible posts in
> >> the only thread that andrea seems to have participated. KNode has headers,
> >> but can't downloaded the messages.
> >> --
> >> derek
> >>

> > I agree with her though. we as experienced linux people need to
> > remember not to allow our egos to cloud our manners. and we need to
> > remember that we all need help with something or another eventually. no
> > one is perfect at everything. this is one of the reasons that I have
> > not posted in a while. one of the last posts i had, i was flamed. that
> > is simply not acceptable. I have been working with linux for 9 years
> > now. I am not a newbie by any means, but the stuff i was working on is
> > stuff that i have never messed with before.
> >

> I have a suspicion that this person is referring to a post I made a
> while back on someone thought I had not read enough. I was frustrated
> and had sat up half the night reading and I lost my temper and said
> something about being called stupid. In fact no one did and I apologized
> to the list for my own remark. The stupid remark had more to do with
> how I was feeling about myself than anything any one said.
> Doug

it was not you. it was a dude named leo. I have read most of his
comments and they all show an over inflated ego.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Leo Cacciari

Il giorno ven, 15/08/2008 alle 11.27 -0500, Ulin the Tech Mage ha
scritto:
> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 12:18 -0400, Doug Pollard wrote:
> > Ulin the Tech Mage wrote:

> > > I agree with her though. we as experienced linux people need to
> > > remember not to allow our egos to cloud our manners. and we need to
> > > remember that we all need help with something or another eventually. no
> > > one is perfect at everything. this is one of the reasons that I have
> > > not posted in a while. one of the last posts i had, i was flamed. that
> > > is simply not acceptable. I have been working with linux for 9 years
> > > now. I am not a newbie by any means, but the stuff i was working on is
> > > stuff that i have never messed with before.
> > >

> > I have a suspicion that this person is referring to a post I made a
> > while back on someone thought I had not read enough. I was frustrated
> > and had sat up half the night reading and I lost my temper and said
> > something about being called stupid. In fact no one did and I apologized
> > to the list for my own remark. The stupid remark had more to do with
> > how I was feeling about myself than anything any one said.
> > Doug
> >
> it was not you. it was a dude named leo. I have read most of his
> comments and they all show an over inflated ego.

I would like you to stop calling me names, even when it is totally
uncalled for. The mail you answered did not refer to your post, but to
the OP one. I'm really trying to be calm, but I ask you again to avoid
calling me names. By the way, I never ever told you you can address me
by my first name, that's for friends.

--
Leo Cacciari