Old 08-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Ulin the Tech Mage

Default Manners

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 18:38 +0200, Leo Cacciari wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 15/08/2008 alle 11.27 -0500, Ulin the Tech Mage ha
> scritto:

> > > I have a suspicion that this person is referring to a post I made a
> > > while back on someone thought I had not read enough. I was frustrated
> > > and had sat up half the night reading and I lost my temper and said
> > > something about being called stupid. In fact no one did and I apologized
> > > to the list for my own remark. The stupid remark had more to do with
> > > how I was feeling about myself than anything any one said.
> > > Doug
> > >
> > it was not you. it was a dude named leo. I have read most of his
> > comments and they all show an over inflated ego.
> >

> I would like you to stop calling me names, even when it is totally
> uncalled for. The mail you answered did not refer to your post, but to
> the OP one. I'm really trying to be calm, but I ask you again to avoid
> calling me names. By the way, I never ever told you you can address me
> by my first name, that's for friends.
>
> --
> Leo Cacciari

when did i call you anything other than your first name. it you read the
whole message you would see that we are talking about matters like this.
I do not want to argue. i am just pointing out that if we want users to
switch away from M$ then we have to mind our manners. besides man a
harsh words never is helpfull whatsoever. there is never a need to
flame anyone. if you don't wish to respond, then don't. but don't
respond to a honest question with an over inflated ego and expect people
to like you. quit burning bridges man. trust me no one is as good as
they think they are.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:05 PM

> From: Leo Cacciari

> By the way, I never ever told you you can address me by my first name,
that's for friends.

> --
> Leo Cacciari

Leo, Leo, Leo,

Actually, you did, by signing your email as Leo Cacciari. If you want
folks to address you with something else, than sign your emails with
that.

Mr. Big ( no time for the important things, like apt-cache )

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Ulin the Tech Mage

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 13:05 -0400,
Michael.Coll-Barth@VerizonWireless.com wrote:

> > From: Leo Cacciari
>
> > By the way, I never ever told you you can address me by my first name,
> that's for friends.
> >
> > --
> > Leo Cacciari
>
> Leo, Leo, Leo,
>
> Actually, you did, by signing your email as Leo Cacciari. If you want
> folks to address you with something else, than sign your emails with
> that.
>
> Mr. Big ( no time for the important things, like apt-cache )

> The information contained in this message and any attachment may be
> proprietary, confidential, and privileged or subject to the work
> product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
> of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or
> agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
> If you have received this communication in error, please notify me
> immediately by replying to this message and deleting it and all
> copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

thank you!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Nigel Henry

On Friday 15 August 2008 18:51, Ulin the Tech Mage wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 18:38 +0200, Leo Cacciari wrote:
> > Il giorno ven, 15/08/2008 alle 11.27 -0500, Ulin the Tech Mage ha
> >
> > scritto:

> > > it was not you. it was a dude named leo. I have read most of his
> > > comments and they all show an over inflated ego.
> >
> > I would like you to stop calling me names, even when it is totally
> > uncalled for. The mail you answered did not refer to your post, but to
> > the OP one. I'm really trying to be calm, but I ask you again to avoid
> > calling me names. By the way, I never ever told you you can address me
> > by my first name, that's for friends.
> >
> > --
> > Leo Cacciari
>
> when did i call you anything other than your first name. it you read the
> whole message you would see that we are talking about matters like this.
> I do not want to argue. i am just pointing out that if we want users to
> switch away from M$ then we have to mind our manners. besides man a
> harsh words never is helpfull whatsoever. there is never a need to
> flame anyone. if you don't wish to respond, then don't. but don't
> respond to a honest question with an over inflated ego and expect people
> to like you. quit burning bridges man. trust me no one is as good as
> they think they are.

I think it's the word "dude" that Mr Leo Cacciari is referring to.

And to Mr Cacciari.

Mailing lists are a lot different than speaking face to face with a stranger
for example. You may ask someones name, and they may reply John Smith, but
you would address them as Mr Smith, unless they told you to do otherwise.

On mailing lists I've always used the first names of those that I am replying
to, and have never had any complaints.

Another example.

I'm on the Debian French mailing list, and in France, and other countries in
europe, there are familiar, and unfamiliar ways of using the English word
"you". The word "vous" (you) is used when speaking to strangers. The word
"tu" is used when speaking with close friends, family members, and animals.

Quite when vous progresses to tu, I'm not sure, but at some during a
relationship, whether between friends or otherwise, someone uses the word
"tu", and the other person responds, also using "tu", and immediately you are
in a close friendship with the other person, and that's by just changing
"vous" to "tu". The use of language is amazing eh!

Back though to the French Debian mailing list, everyone, pretty much without
exception uses "tu", the familiar form of you, which you wouldn't dare to use
if speaking face to face with a stranger, yet nobody complains. This is just
the way of folks that post to the mailing lists, and nobody usually takes
offence.

I've just helped someone to resolve a problem on this list. I know his name,
but have never seen him, and don't even know where he lives, but just helping
out is a reward in itself, and he did say "thankx", which is nice.

2 worth of Friday evening ramblings, with my dog wanting me to go and play
with him in the garden, and me stuck to the computer screen.

Now back into the garden with my dog.

Nigel.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Derek Broughton

Leo Cacciari wrote:

>> it was not you. it was a dude named leo. I have read most of his
>> comments and they all show an over inflated ego.
>>
> I would like you to stop calling me names, even when it is totally
> uncalled for.

You mean it's less acceptable when it _is_ called for? Nobody called you
names, so calm down.

> The mail you answered did not refer to your post, but to
> the OP one. I'm really trying to be calm, but I ask you again to avoid
> calling me names. By the way, I never ever told you you can address me
> by my first name, that's for friends.

Then don't sign your emails "Leo Cacciari", Leo. Besides which, if we can't
call you "Leo", how are we to avoid calling you names?
--
derek

Old 08-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Derek Broughton

Nigel Henry wrote:

> Back though to the French Debian mailing list, everyone, pretty much
> without exception uses "tu", the familiar form of you, which you wouldn't
> dare to use if speaking face to face with a stranger, yet nobody
> complains. This is just the way of folks that post to the mailing lists,
> and nobody usually takes offence.

Cool. It's probably also an artifact of the international nature of the
Internet. I understand my Quebecois neighbors have a tendency to "tu" with
perfect strangers - which causes real tension sometimes talking with
continental French.

--
derek

Old 08-16-2008, 07:16 PM
"Mario Spinthiras"

You misspelled ourselves

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 3:38 AM, andrea phillips <homgirl177@yahoo.com> wrote:

I feel if you ask for help and someone is able to help thats good but you dont have to call people stupid you didnt know all you know when you got ubuntu so i think we should be a little nicer to everyone as well as ourselfs your bad day is yours and if you dont want anyone to email you unscribe thanks.

Warm Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras
http://www.spinthiras.net/