Old 08-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Linda Vest Castanos

Default restore grub

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

the link above shows how to restore grub after an XP install. Will the
following commands work for error 17? If not, can I restore XP MBR
(which I have done many times) and will it work then?

I'm not a Ubuntu-Linux guru and the commands below would work for ME,
which is from the link above. I seem to lose my MBR approx twice a
year. (big hassle)
thanks, Dennis

1. Boot the Desktop/Live CD.

2. Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)

3. Start grub as root with the following command :

sudo grub

4. You will get a grub prompt (see below) which we will use to find the
root partition and install grub to the MBR (hd0,0)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For
the first word, TAB lists possible command
completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename. ]

grub>

Type the following and press enter:

find /boot/grub/stage1

Using this information, set the root device:

grub> root (hd0,1)

Install Grub:

grub> setup (hd0)

Exit Grub:

grub> quit

Old 08-15-2008, 03:49 AM
"David Fox"

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Linda Vest Castanos <dcastanos@snowcrest.net>

> I'm not a Ubuntu-Linux guru and the commands below would work for ME,
> which is from the link above. I seem to lose my MBR approx twice a
> year. (big hassle)

Here's another link that might be helpful :

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/SuperGrubDiskPage.html#17

although it does not specifically mention what exactly error 17 is but
I'd assume you somehow hosed your grub info. This web page touts a
"super grub disk" but there are other methods, including using your
own linux live cd, system rescue cd, possibly manual editing of the
mbr with grub.

I haven't had to do this specifically because I only single boot, I
almost never have another OS on the system, and I never had Windows
.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Karl Larsen

David Fox wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Linda Vest Castanos <dcastanos@snowcrest.net>
>

>> I'm not a Ubuntu-Linux guru and the commands below would work for ME,
>> which is from the link above. I seem to lose my MBR approx twice a
>> year. (big hassle)
>>

> Here's another link that might be helpful :
>
> http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/SuperGrubDiskPage.html#17
>
> although it does not specifically mention what exactly error 17 is but
> I'd assume you somehow hosed your grub info. This web page touts a
> "super grub disk" but there are other methods, including using your
> own linux live cd, system rescue cd, possibly manual editing of the
> mbr with grub.
>
> I haven't had to do this specifically because I only single boot, I
> almost never have another OS on the system, and I never had Windows
> .

I think this user must re-load Windows about once a year. When you
do this windows writes it's boot message in the Main Boot Record (MBR)
and grub is broken. To fix this you need to re-load grub at the MBR and
it will be good until you re-load windows again.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-15-2008, 11:58 AM
James Takac

Hi Karl

On Friday 15 August 2008 21:16:56 Karl Larsen wrote:
> David Fox wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Linda Vest Castanos
> > <dcastanos@snowcrest.net>
> >
> >> I'm not a Ubuntu-Linux guru and the commands below would work for ME,
> >> which is from the link above. I seem to lose my MBR approx twice a
> >> year. (big hassle)
> >
> > Here's another link that might be helpful :
> >
> > http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/SuperGrubDiskPage.html#17
> >
> > although it does not specifically mention what exactly error 17 is but
> > I'd assume you somehow hosed your grub info. This web page touts a
> > "super grub disk" but there are other methods, including using your
> > own linux live cd, system rescue cd, possibly manual editing of the
> > mbr with grub.
> >
> > I haven't had to do this specifically because I only single boot, I
> > almost never have another OS on the system, and I never had Windows
> >
> > .
>
> I think this user must re-load Windows about once a year. When you
> do this windows writes it's boot message in the Main Boot Record (MBR)
> and grub is broken. To fix this you need to re-load grub at the MBR and
> it will be good until you re-load windows again.
>

> Karl
>

> --
>
> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

Having reloaded windows in the past I would mirror what you seem to think
above. It's the only scenario that seems to make sense re having to reinstall
grub periodically (on a semi regular basis) as the originator of the post
mentions. As they do not mention the particulars leading up to the need to
re-load grub, one can reasonably assume a windows reinstall has be performed
just prior to each

James

Old 08-15-2008, 03:43 PM
"Mumia W."

On 08/15/2008 06:58 AM, James Takac wrote:
> Hi Karl
>
> On Friday 15 August 2008 21:16:56 Karl Larsen wrote:
>> David Fox wrote:
>>> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Linda Vest Castanos
>>> <dcastanos@snowcrest.net>

>>> Here's another link that might be helpful :
>>>
>>> http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/SuperGrubDiskPage.html#17
>>>
>>> although it does not specifically mention what exactly error 17 is but
>>> I'd assume you somehow hosed your grub info. This web page touts a
>>> "super grub disk" but there are other methods, including using your
>>> own linux live cd, system rescue cd, possibly manual editing of the
>>> mbr with grub.
>>>
>>> I haven't had to do this specifically because I only single boot, I
>>> almost never have another OS on the system, and I never had Windows
>>>
>>> .
>> I think this user must re-load Windows about once a year. When you
>> do this windows writes it's boot message in the Main Boot Record (MBR)
>> and grub is broken. To fix this you need to re-load grub at the MBR and
>> it will be good until you re-load windows again.
>>

>> Karl
>>

>> --
>>
>> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>> Linux User
>> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
>> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7
>

> Having reloaded windows in the past I would mirror what you seem to think
> above. It's the only scenario that seems to make sense re having to reinstall
> grub periodically (on a semi regular basis) as the originator of the post
> mentions. As they do not mention the particulars leading up to the need to
> re-load grub, one can reasonably assume a windows reinstall has be performed
> just prior to each
>
> James

I think a smart policy is to never install Grub to the MBR on dual-boot
systems. Microsoft wants the MBR, so let them have it. Grub should be
installed into the Linux partition's bootsector, and the NT-Loader
should be configured to provide an option to boot Linux.

Linda, if you install the package doc-linux-text, read
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Linux+NT-Loader.gz to find out more about
doing this. Since that document was written for LILO rather than Grub,
some small changes would be necessary.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:16 PM
NoOp

On 08/14/2008 05:09 PM, Linda Vest Castanos wrote:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
>
> the link above shows how to restore grub after an XP install. Will the
> following commands work for error 17? If not, can I restore XP MBR
> (which I have done many times) and will it work then?
>
> I'm not a Ubuntu-Linux guru and the commands below would work for ME,
> which is from the link above. I seem to lose my MBR approx twice a
> year. (big hassle)
> thanks, Dennis

If you are having to restore grub twice a year, I would recommend that
you download the SuperGrub CD:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Then all you need to do is boot using the CD and select the 'restore'
option. SG will automatically go out and restore your grub. From the CD
you can also fix your MBR if necessary.

Also see:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SuperGrubDisk

Old 08-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Derek Broughton

Mumia W. wrote:

> I think a smart policy is to never install Grub to the MBR on dual-boot
> systems. Microsoft wants the MBR, so let them have it. Grub should be
> installed into the Linux partition's bootsector, and the NT-Loader
> should be configured to provide an option to boot Linux.

I tend to agree - but last time I tried that, there wasn't any easy way to
modify the NT loader unless you were running Vista Pro or something else
costly. I would assume that as part of "wubi", we have a simple tool that
can do that, now - is it easily accessible even for those not using Wubi?
--
derek