Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Linda Vest Castanos

Default Restore Ubuntu MBR

I found the following below on a Ubuntu site. Will this work for error
17? If not, can I restored Window XP MBR (done this many times), and
will it work then? I seem to lose my MBR approx. twice a year. There
is lots of info on this matter on the Internet, but this seems to be the
most simple method for ME. I am not a Ubuntu-Linux guru
thanks Dennis

1. Boot the Desktop/Live CD.
2. Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)
3. Start grub as root with the following command :

sudo grub

4. You will get a grub prompt (see below) which we will use to find the
root partition and install grub to the MBR (hd0,0)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For
the first word, TAB lists possible command
completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename. ]

grub>

Type the following and press enter:

find /boot/grub/stage1
Using this information, set the root device:
grub> root (hd0,1)
Install Grub:
grub> setup (hd0)
Exit Grub:
grub> quit

and reboot

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Old 08-15-2008, 01:00 AM
Derek Broughton

Linda Vest Castanos wrote:

> I found the following below on a Ubuntu site. Will this work for error
> 17? If not, can I restored Window XP MBR (done this many times), and
> will it work then? I seem to lose my MBR approx. twice a year. There
> is lots of info on this matter on the Internet, but this seems to be the
> most simple method for ME. I am not a Ubuntu-Linux guru
> thanks Dennis

People like to complicate things :-)

> 1. Boot the Desktop/Live CD.
> 2. Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)

Good so far.

> 3. Start grub as root with the following command :

???

I just do:

# sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt
(that might actually already be mounted somewhere)
# sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

Now, I'm not absolutely certain that fixes an error 17 - it's what I use
when I've b0rked grub, but it _is_ what the more complicate how-to you
posted does.
--
derek

Old 08-16-2008, 02:55 PM
andrea phillips

Hi Derek if you can since you are a nice person help me with my sound not working and what to i use uinstead of java for games . thanks

Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote: Linda Vest Castanos wrote:

> I found the following below on a Ubuntu site. Will this work for error
> 17? If not, can I restored Window XP MBR (done this many times), and
> will it work then? I seem to lose my MBR approx. twice a year. There
> is lots of info on this matter on the Internet, but this seems to be the
> most simple method for ME. I am not a Ubuntu-Linux guru
> thanks Dennis

People like to complicate things :-)

> 1. Boot the Desktop/Live CD.
> 2. Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)

Good so far.

> 3. Start grub as root with the
following command :

???