Old 08-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Sean Kim

Default Change from raid to normal

I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server with Raid 1.
Now, I want to use one hdd for another machine.
Is there any simple way to make it normal hdd system? without format?

Thank you
Sean

Old 08-15-2008, 12:40 AM
"Brian McKee"

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Sean Kim <sean.opal@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server with Raid 1.
> Now, I want to use one hdd for another machine.
> Is there any simple way to make it normal hdd system? without format?

Hi Sean
Was the RAID provided by the motherboard/controller? or is it linux
software RAID?

Brian

Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 AM
"Rudi Ahlers"

--

With RAID 1 (mirror), you can simple remove one of the HDD's, and the system will run in degraded RAID 1 mode - which is the same as if one HDD would actually fail.*

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Neil

On 8/15/08, Sean Kim <sean.opal@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server with Raid 1.
> Now, I want to use one hdd for another machine.
> Is there any simple way to make it normal hdd system? without format?
>
> Thank you
> Sean

What raid type is it? A raid 1 disk should be possible, but a RAID 0
disk should not.

If it is raid 0 the data is spread over two disks in blocks. Each disk
has half of the bloks, like so:
disk 1 has blocks 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19
disk 2 has blocks 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20

We can make an analogue:
We have a text stored in raid0 with 2 disks.
We have a blocksize of one letter (normally they are way bigger, 128K
is more like it).
The total text is: "Most people still use the outdated os called 'Windows'."
Disk 1 contains: Ms epesilueteotae scle Wnos.
Disk 2 contains: otpol tl s h udtdo ald'idw'

If you use only disk 1 the result would be: "Ms epesilueteotae scle
Wnos." Quite unreadable, don't you think? The PC you would insert this
disk in wouldn't know what to do with the garble of bytes you threw at
it.

To be able to use it properly you may even need to lowformat the disk
using the tools provided by the manufacturer or tools from
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ (I had some trouble installing Suse on
a disk that used to be in a fakeraid, and had to use this to really
really clean it because Suse recognised it had been a part of a raid0
system and was protected against it)

Neil
--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Sean Kim

Thanks for reply

I installed with ubuntu software raid.
I can see some of ubuntu starting screen.

It finally shows
---
BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)
---

I'm don't know what is going on..

Thanks
Sean

Old 08-15-2008, 07:01 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Sean Kim
>> > I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server with Raid 1.
>> > Now, I want to use one hdd for another machine.
>> > Is there any simple way to make it normal hdd system? without
>> format?
>>
>> Hi Sean
>> Was the RAID provided by the motherboard/controller? or is it linux
>> software RAID?
>>
> I installed with ubuntu software raid.
> I can see some of ubuntu starting screen.
>
> It finally shows
> ---
> BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
> (initramfs)
> ---
>
> I'm don't know what is going on..

Me either - as far as I knew you had a working system you wanted to
swipe a disk out of.
Now you have a system that won't boot? How did you get there? i.e.
is this one of the other disks and you tried to install it elsewhere?
or the original system minus a disk? or ?

Please tell us enough info to help.

Brian