Old 08-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Doug Pollard

Default For newbies

A while back somone on this list suggested loading and reading Rutebook.
As far as I am concerned that was a stroke of geniouse. It is the best
tutorial I have ever read on any technical subject. It is straight to
the point and doesn't explain anything that doesn't need to be known for
the particlar subject being read at the moment. Evey little shor
unmemorable two and three letter command has had it's meaning spelled
out so you have a reference to remeber by. I find it's much easyier to
rember for example "change diectory than CD. I can't get my mind around
cd it's not anchored to anything. But the biggest thing I learned is
that in the past I have read something and felt dumb if I didn't
understand it. He lets you know to read everything three times, do the
exercise and don't move on until you know the subject.
I have been reading off and on a couple days for a total of one good
days reading and have learned more than I have in all the reading I have
done on linux put together. I haven't learned a lot but what I have
learned," I KNOW." One thing I think I have found is I am not just
dumb ,this stuff is hard. I can't stress enough how good this tutorial
is for newbies.
Doug