Old 08-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Homer

Default 32 bit install on 64 bit Xeon

I've been googling, but can't seem to find a definitive answer... Can
I install 32 bit Ubuntu on a 64 bit Xeon machine?

Specifically, in case it matters:

Supermicro MB X7DBE
2x Xeon E5430 2.66GHz Quad Core

Old 08-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Sven

On 08/14/2008 08:10 PM, Homer wrote:
> I've been googling, but can't seem to find a definitive answer... Can
> I install 32 bit Ubuntu on a 64 bit Xeon machine?

Yes

> Specifically, in case it matters:
> Supermicro MB X7DBE
> 2x Xeon E5430 2.66GHz Quad Core

regards
Sven

Old 08-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Homer

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Sven <aluoor@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/14/2008 08:10 PM, Homer wrote:
>> I've been googling, but can't seem to find a definitive answer... Can
>> I install 32 bit Ubuntu on a 64 bit Xeon machine?
>
> Yes

Thank you.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:53 PM
"Jim Rosser"

I don't actually know anything about xeon but i dont see how it would differ from installing 32 bit Ubuntu on any other 64 bit machine, so i would say it should work just fine but you might wait for someone more familiar with Xeon.

I've been googling, but can't seem to find a definitive answer... *Can

I install 32 bit Ubuntu on a 64 bit Xeon machine?

Specifically, in case it matters:

Supermicro MB X7DBE

2x Xeon E5430 2.66GHz Quad Core

Jim Rosser
Winchester Designs

Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 PM
"Mark Haney"

Sven wrote:
> On 08/14/2008 08:10 PM, Homer wrote:
>> I've been googling, but can't seem to find a definitive answer... Can
>> I install 32 bit Ubuntu on a 64 bit Xeon machine?

Absolutely. Xeon is just a designation that Intel gives to it's
'Enterprise' (or server level) chips. It generally has much more L1 and
L2 cache on the proc to make it faster.

Now, if it's Itanium, that's a whole other can of worms. Itanium is
/not/ an X86 architecture and you need specifically compiled binaries
(and distros) for the Itanium.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 08-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Rashkae

Jim Rosser wrote:
> I don't actually know anything about xeon but i dont see how it would differ
> from installing 32 bit Ubuntu on any other 64 bit machine, so i would say it
> should work just fine but you might wait for someone more familiar with
> Xeon.

It differs because modern Xeon's have a 32-bit instruction compatibility
(something that was pioneered by AMD with the Athlon 64). Prior to
that, "every other" 64-bit cpu needed binaries compiled for that cpu
architecture. (My memory is at a loss to tell you which other 64-bit
architectures still in production this applies too. I can't keep this
stuff straight anymore.)

Old 08-14-2008, 10:06 PM
ghe

Homer wrote:
> I've been googling, but can't seem to find a definitive answer... Can
> I install 32 bit Ubuntu on a 64 bit Xeon machine?

Works on my Mac Pro (I intended to install the 64 and screwed up).

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com

Old 08-16-2008, 11:37 AM
"(``-_-´´) -- Fernando"

Olá Homer e a todos.

On Thursday 14 August 2008 19:10:36 Homer wrote:
> I've been googling, but can't seem to find a definitive answer... Can
> I install 32 bit Ubuntu on a 64 bit Xeon machine?
>
> Specifically, in case it matters:

I dont see why not. your only limit will be the 4GiBs or RAM for the all system (central RAM, disk Cache, GPU RAM, etc).

--
BUGabundo )
(``-_-´´) http://Ubuntu.BUGabundo.net

Old 08-18-2008, 10:39 AM
"Kennneth P. Turvey"

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 12:38:39 +0100, (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:

> Olá Homer e a todos.
>
> On Thursday 14 August 2008 19:10:36 Homer wrote:
>> I've been googling, but can't seem to find a definitive answer... Can
>> I install 32 bit Ubuntu on a 64 bit Xeon machine?
>
> by the way: Why?
> 64 bits is AS stable AS 32.

Just a note from somebody who runs 64 bits..

Getting applets to work can be a bit painful. I still don't have Java
Web Start working correctly. There are other non-free apps for which
there isn't a good 64 bit version available.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com>
http://www.electricsenator.net

On tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Homer

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 5:38 AM, (``-_-´´) -- Fernando
<ubuntu@bugabundo.net> wrote:
> Olá Homer e a todos.
>
> On Thursday 14 August 2008 19:10:36 Homer wrote:
>> I've been googling, but can't seem to find a definitive answer... Can
>> I install 32 bit Ubuntu on a 64 bit Xeon machine?
>
> by the way: Why?
> 64 bits is AS stable AS 32.

Just checked back and I see many more responses. We have a couple
research machines. Both are 64 bit machines, one AMD and now one
Xeon. The AMD machine is running 32bit and I wanted to be sure I
could have compatibility between the two. Currently I have 64bit
installed on the Xeon machine and we're testing it out. We may end up
installing 64 on the AMD machine as well.