Old 08-14-2008, 01:35 PM
"Jeffrey D. Greenly"

Default MS Reader on 8.04

I realize that my question will probably invoke some "why are you doing
that?!?" responses, but if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

On my computers that run Ubuntu 7.10, I have successfully installed MS
reader using the IEs4Linux method described on the internet, and it
works. This is handy for me, because I have a LOT of documents, books,
etc. in .lit format, a holdover from my MS days. However, I haven't been
able to get MS Reader to work under 8.04. The application starts, but
then quietly crashes.

I have updated wine, tried reinstalling IEs4Linux and ms reader, and
haven't met with success. If anyone has a solution to this, or can point
me towards a reader that is compatible, i would appreciate it. I would
find it difficult to justify spending the time converting (via CLIT)
several thousand documents. As much as I'd like to be free of Redmond,
that's out, at least for now..

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Greenly
KD6HUL
Farmington, WV
USA

Old 08-14-2008, 01:45 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Jeffrey D. Greenly <kd6hul@verizon.net> wrote:
> I realize that my question will probably invoke some "why are you doing
> that?!?" responses, but if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.
>
> On my computers that run Ubuntu 7.10, I have successfully installed MS
> reader using the IEs4Linux method described on the internet, and it
> works. This is handy for me, because I have a LOT of documents, books,
> etc. in .lit format, a holdover from my MS days. However, I haven't been
> able to get MS Reader to work under 8.04. The application starts, but
> then quietly crashes.
>
> I have updated wine, tried reinstalling IEs4Linux and ms reader, and
> haven't met with success.

Which version of wine are you using? and where does it fail? Is it
IE that doesn't work or MS Reader?

Using Hardy and the wine debs from winehq
<http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb> as well as the ies4linux
script I have IE running fine. I must admit I'm using a slightly
older version than what's there currently, as once I had it working
doing what I wanted it to do I pinned the wine packages rather than
risk all the darned regressions they seem to love.

Brian

Old 08-14-2008, 03:43 PM
"Jeffrey D. Greenly"

Thank you for replying...

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 09:45 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Jeffrey D. Greenly <kd6hul@verizon.net> wrote:
> > I realize that my question will probably invoke some "why are you doing
> > that?!?" responses, but if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.
> >
> > On my computers that run Ubuntu 7.10, I have successfully installed MS
> > reader using the IEs4Linux method described on the internet, and it
> > works. This is handy for me, because I have a LOT of documents, books,
> > etc. in .lit format, a holdover from my MS days. However, I haven't been
> > able to get MS Reader to work under 8.04. The application starts, but
> > then quietly crashes.
> >
> > I have updated wine, tried reinstalling IEs4Linux and ms reader, and
> > haven't met with success.
>
> Which version of wine are you using? and where does it fail? Is it
> IE that doesn't work or MS Reader?

Sorry to be vague... IE 6.0 is working fine, as far as I can tell. When
I attempt to start MS Reader, the splash screen for Reader comes up,
then before it goes to library, closes... so Reader opens for maybe a
second or so, then shuts down.

Wine version is 1.1.2

> Using Hardy and the wine debs from winehq
> <http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb> as well as the ies4linux
> script I have IE running fine. I must admit I'm using a slightly
> older version than what's there currently, as once I had it working
> doing what I wanted it to do I pinned the wine packages rather than
> risk all the darned regressions they seem to love.
>
> Brian

Jeff

Old 08-14-2008, 03:59 PM
NoOp

On 08/14/2008 08:43 AM, Jeffrey D. Greenly wrote:

> Sorry to be vague... IE 6.0 is working fine, as far as I can tell. When
> I attempt to start MS Reader, the splash screen for Reader comes up,
> then before it goes to library, closes... so Reader opens for maybe a
> second or so, then shuts down.
>
> Wine version is 1.1.2
>

>> Using Hardy and the wine debs from winehq
>> <http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb> as well as the ies4linux
>> script I have IE running fine. I must admit I'm using a slightly
>> older version than what's there currently, as once I had it working
>> doing what I wanted it to do I pinned the wine packages rather than
>> risk all the darned regressions they seem to love.

Perhaps these will help:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wine.hq+%2B%22MS+Reader%22
<http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1003&iTesting Id=13053>
<http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1003&iTesting Id=24185>