Old 08-14-2008, 04:49 AM
Pastor JW

Default UUIDs on drives (was Hibernate on battery low)

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 05:17:49 pm Rashkae wrote:
> But besides having to learn how the new system works, it's nothing but
> win win for anyone making the change. *I've never seen any problems
> reported with the use of UUID that doesn't amount to old school gurus
> not wanting to learn something different. *(and possibly people using dd
> to clone filesystems, inadvertently creating dupe UUID's... though I
> haven't noticed anyone actually falling into that trap.)

So you haven't noticed it is impossible to hibernate your laptop using the
uuid system? Other than this is the noise of several threads on this
maillist, I have about the same amount on four others. The best advise is to
not use hibernate or edit fstab to use the old system. Either way it is not
the most excellent advise to give someone! It is not win win if it is
broken. It needs fixed so the OS can see it has a swap partition or
hibernate will not work. I have however, grown used to not using it and
using suspend instead. You are correct however, if one does not use UUID he
has to update his fstab every kernel update.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 08-14-2008, 05:24 AM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 05:58:20 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 August 2008 03:26:51 pm Kennneth P. Turvey wrote:
> >> I prefer the old method too. I think the problem is that many people
> >> use external drives now and the devices will change, so UUIDs solve the
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> Is this the correct reasoning? I'm just guessing here. Are there any
> >> other advantages to using UUIDs that I'm missing?
> >
> > I DO wish they would fix their UUID method to allow the OS to find the
> > swap
> > partition so hibernate would properly work with it. Either that or
> > remove hibernate from the options. Suspend seems to work and uses very
> > little battery while suspended. Maybe swap needs looked at itself as
> > with the current UUID style of doing things the OS can't find it.
>
> Huh? Mine always has - even after mkswap.

Wait a second here, you are the person who showed me how to set up fstab in
order to get swap recognized in the first place, Worked too. However, three
kernel updates since then and my fstab is no longer what you told me to
change it to. Swap now again has a UUID and is not recognized for
hibernation purposes like it was when I first received my machine.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:09 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 21:49 -0700, Pastor JW wrote:
> So you haven't noticed it is impossible to hibernate your laptop using
> the uuid system?

Says who? What about
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID#Resuming%20from%
20Hibernation> ?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Florian Diesch

Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 August 2008 05:58:20 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Pastor JW wrote:

>> > I DO wish they would fix their UUID method to allow the OS to find the
>> > swap
>> > partition so hibernate would properly work with it. Either that or
>> > remove hibernate from the options. Suspend seems to work and uses very
>> > little battery while suspended. Maybe swap needs looked at itself as
>> > with the current UUID style of doing things the OS can't find it.
>>
>> Huh? Mine always has - even after mkswap.
>
> Wait a second here, you are the person who showed me how to set up fstab in
> order to get swap recognized in the first place, Worked too. However, three
> kernel updates since then and my fstab is no longer what you told me to
> change it to. Swap now again has a UUID and is not recognized for
> hibernation purposes like it was when I first received my machine.

Hibernate works fine here (Ubuntu 8.04) with the standard fstab using UUID

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 08-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Derek Broughton

Pastor JW wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 August 2008 05:17:49 pm Rashkae wrote:
>> But besides having to learn how the new system works, it's nothing but
>> win win for anyone making the change. *I've never seen any problems
>> reported with the use of UUID that doesn't amount to old school gurus
>> not wanting to learn something different. *(and possibly people using dd
>> to clone filesystems, inadvertently creating dupe UUID's... though I
>> haven't noticed anyone actually falling into that trap.)
>
> So you haven't noticed it is impossible to hibernate your laptop using the
> uuid system?

I certainly haven't noticed that. I do it. Generally at least twice daily.

> Other than this is the noise of several threads on this
> maillist, I have about the same amount on four others. The best advise is
> to not use hibernate or edit fstab to use the old system.

No it's not. That's an attempt to hide from the fact that you have some
other problem. The best advice is that which fixes the problem.

> Either way it is not
> the most excellent advise to give someone! It is not win win if it is
> broken.

It's NOT broken. Every time we see something like this, it's somebody
making _assumptions_ that are invalid, and generally fixed by using the
system defaults.

> It needs fixed so the OS can see it has a swap partition or
> hibernate will not work.

The OS needs to be able to see its swap partition or _swap_ will not work...
--
derek

Old 08-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Derek Broughton

Florian Diesch wrote:

> Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:

>>> Huh? Mine always has - even after mkswap.
>>
>> Wait a second here, you are the person who showed me how to set up fstab
>> in order to get swap recognized in the first place, Worked too.

Yep. I have been known to suggest just renaming the fstab entry for fixed
devices. It's not what I do though - mine uses UUIDs.

>> However,
>> three kernel updates since then and my fstab is no longer what you told
>> me to
>> change it to. Swap now again has a UUID and is not recognized for
>> hibernation purposes like it was when I first received my machine.

I _did_ only recently learn about /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume -
clearly this could cause problems, but "man initramfs-tools" says:

"resume
On install initramfs-tools tries to autodetect the resume partition. On
success the RESUME variable is written to
/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume. The boot variable noresume overrides
it."

So the implication is that initramfs _should_ be trying to keep that
accurate. If you make a new swap, though, between kernel updates it
certainly can't know it's changed. However, I don't see a way to make
update-initramfs generate a new "resume" parameter. Even "aptitude
reinstall initramfs-tools" after deleting the original "resume" file,
doesn't generate a new one. So initramfs-tools ssems to be broken.

I've been reading through
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/66637 and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/50437 and I
see three ways you could solve your problem. #50437 is the one that would
really solve this problem.

1) modify /boot/grub/menu.lst and add "resume=/dev/xxxx" where "xxxx" is
your swap partition. This could work, but I really don't like it - because
there's no guarantee that in future it will be right.

2) modify /boot/grub/menu.lst and add "resume=UUID=..." where "..." is your
swap's UUID.

3) fix /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume and run "sudo update-initramfs -u"

4) turn off your swap, run "mkswap /dev/... -U xxxx", where "xxxx" is the
current UUID from /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume, turn on your swap
again.

OK, I see FOUR solutions :-) (3) seems by far the simplest.

I really wish I knew why I haven't run into this... _Something_ must be
working.
--
derek