Old 08-14-2008, 03:08 AM
Young

Default New System Problem

I just built a new system and installed Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64.

The system boots into a fractured graphics image with the Ubuntu logo
repeating 5 times across the screen. Each repeat is just horizontal
lines like a bad version of the AT&T globe logo. There's also a lot of
garbage on the screen, and no evidence of a cursor pointer.

The 8.04.1-desktop-amd64 suffers the same problem.

The install ran fine & the 8.04-desktop-i386 runs in live mode without a
problem.

Memory tests ran without a problem for over 75 minutes, but with 4GB I
wasn't going to wait for it to finish.

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache

ECS GF7100PVT-M
North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 7100
South Bridge nForce 630i
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135066

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Old 08-14-2008, 05:13 AM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 08:08:19 pm Young wrote:
> I just built a new system and installed Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64.
>
> The system boots into a fractured graphics image with the Ubuntu logo
> repeating 5 times across the screen. Each repeat is just horizontal
> lines like a bad version of the AT&T globe logo. There's also a lot of
> garbage on the screen, and no evidence of a cursor pointer.
>
> The 8.04.1-desktop-amd64 suffers the same problem.
>
> The install ran fine & the 8.04-desktop-i386 runs in live mode without a
> problem.
>
> Memory tests ran without a problem for over 75 minutes, but with 4GB I
> wasn't going to wait for it to finish.
>
> Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache
>

> Any help would be appreciated.

I am not understanding at all. If you have the graphics ability, why in the
world are you using the alternate install which does not support graphics???
The reason for the alternate install is to put Ubuntu on a machine which has
limited or obsolete graphics abilities such as older boxes and/or server
boxes. What you are needing is the stuff which can read your more advanced
graphics and implement it, missing from the alternate install as it really is
most useful to CLI user.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 08-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Young

Pastor JW wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 August 2008 08:08:19 pm Young wrote:
>> I just built a new system and installed Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64.
>>
>> The system boots into a fractured graphics image with the Ubuntu logo
>> repeating 5 times across the screen. Each repeat is just horizontal
>> lines like a bad version of the AT&T globe logo. There's also a lot of
>> garbage on the screen, and no evidence of a cursor pointer.
>>
>> The 8.04.1-desktop-amd64 suffers the same problem.
>>
>> The install ran fine & the 8.04-desktop-i386 runs in live mode without a
>> problem.
>>
>> Memory tests ran without a problem for over 75 minutes, but with 4GB I
>> wasn't going to wait for it to finish.
>>
>> Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache
>>

>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> I am not understanding at all. If you have the graphics ability, why in the
> world are you using the alternate install which does not support graphics???
> The reason for the alternate install is to put Ubuntu on a machine which has
> limited or obsolete graphics abilities such as older boxes and/or server
> boxes. What you are needing is the stuff which can read your more advanced
> graphics and implement it, missing from the alternate install as it really is
> most useful to CLI user.

I've never heard anything about the Alternate Install having fewer
graphics drivers. I always thought it traded the live capability for
more choices. I've used the Alt installer (i386 version) before so I
could better manage the way I wanted partitions set up.
Besides, I couldn't use the desktop/live version because it suffers from
the same problem.

Mark

Old 08-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Derek Broughton

Pastor JW wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 August 2008 08:08:19 pm Young wrote:
>> I just built a new system and installed Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64.
>>
>> The system boots into a fractured graphics image with the Ubuntu logo
>> repeating 5 times across the screen. Each repeat is just horizontal
>> lines like a bad version of the AT&T globe logo. There's also a lot of
>> garbage on the screen, and no evidence of a cursor pointer.

That is X trying to find a valid modeline. When I resume from hibernate, I
get three different settings like this - I see the one you describe, I see
one with nothing recognizable, just noise, and I see one with three
fractured images of my last desktop. Then it settles down into the correct
mode. If you never get to that point then, simply, X hasn't found any
valid modes.

If you can get to a console, you might try finding the xorg.conf that the
Live CD is using and just dump it onto a USB stick, then copy from the USB
stick to the installed /etc/X11/. If you can't get to a console, boot to
single user (recovery) mode.

>> The 8.04.1-desktop-amd64 suffers the same problem.
>>
>> The install ran fine & the 8.04-desktop-i386 runs in live mode without a
>> problem.
>>
>> Memory tests ran without a problem for over 75 minutes, but with 4GB I
>> wasn't going to wait for it to finish.
>>
>> Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache
>>

>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> I am not understanding at all. If you have the graphics ability, why in
> the world are you using the alternate install which does not support
> graphics??? The reason for the alternate install is to put Ubuntu on a
> machine which has limited or obsolete graphics abilities such as older
> boxes and/or server

No its not. The alternate install has always worked on my system - it used
to be necessary as the live CD didn't support my LVM setup (I don't know if
that's still true).

In this case, he's using the alternate CD because the "desktop" version
won't install at all.
--
derek

Old 08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 1:13 AM, Pastor JW
<pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 August 2008 08:08:19 pm Young wrote:
>> I just built a new system and installed Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64.
>>
>> The system boots into a fractured graphics image with the Ubuntu logo
>> repeating 5 times across the screen. Each repeat is just horizontal
>> lines like a bad version of the AT&T globe logo. There's also a lot of
>> garbage on the screen, and no evidence of a cursor pointer.
> I am not understanding at all. If you have the graphics ability, why in the
> world are you using the alternate install which does not support graphics???
> The reason for the alternate install is to put Ubuntu on a machine which has
> limited or obsolete graphics abilities such as older boxes and/or server
> boxes.

The alternate install is not for limited boxes or reduced graphics.
It has different installation options, that's all

Perhaps you are thinking of the server install which doesn't install
graphics by default?

Brian

Old 08-14-2008, 01:40 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM, Young <tuxman@knology.net> wrote:
> I just built a new system and installed Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64.
>
> The system boots into a fractured graphics image with the Ubuntu logo
> repeating 5 times across the screen. Each repeat is just horizontal
> lines like a bad version of the AT&T globe logo. There's also a lot of
> garbage on the screen, and no evidence of a cursor pointer.

That sounds like the usplash image. Did you leave it long enough to
complete booting? It's possible only the usplash is an issue, and
it's OK once gdm starts. You could also hit escape at the GRUB
prompt and edit the boot to remove the 'quiet' options and/or put it
in plain text mode until X starts.

Brian

Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Young

Derek Broughton wrote:
>> On Wednesday 13 August 2008 08:08:19 pm Young wrote:
>>> I just built a new system and installed Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64.
>>>
>>> The system boots into a fractured graphics image with the Ubuntu logo
>>> repeating 5 times across the screen. Each repeat is just horizontal
>>> lines like a bad version of the AT&T globe logo. There's also a lot of
>>> garbage on the screen, and no evidence of a cursor pointer.
>
> That is X trying to find a valid modeline. When I resume from hibernate, I
> get three different settings like this - I see the one you describe, I see
> one with nothing recognizable, just noise, and I see one with three
> fractured images of my last desktop. Then it settles down into the correct
> mode. If you never get to that point then, simply, X hasn't found any
> valid modes.
>
> If you can get to a console, you might try finding the xorg.conf that the
> Live CD is using and just dump it onto a USB stick, then copy from the USB
> stick to the installed /etc/X11/. If you can't get to a console, boot to
> single user (recovery) mode.

Derek,

Using the 8.04-desktop-i386 live cd I compared the 2 xorg.conf files
that I found, one under the file system (live cd?) and the other on the
hard drive. They were identical. They seems to be very generic, and
matched what I found on this system.
----------------
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
----------------
Did I look at the correct files? I didn't understand the part about the
USB stick, and I've never "booted to single user (recovery) mode" which
is why I approached it the way I did.

Mark

Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Nigel Henry

On Thursday 14 August 2008 15:15, Young wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 August 2008 08:08:19 pm Young wrote:
> >> I just built a new system and installed Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64.
> >>
> >> The system boots into a fractured graphics image with the Ubuntu logo
> >> repeating 5 times across the screen. Each repeat is just horizontal
> >> lines like a bad version of the AT&T globe logo. There's also a lot of
> >> garbage on the screen, and no evidence of a cursor pointer.
> >>
> >> The 8.04.1-desktop-amd64 suffers the same problem.
> >>
> >> The install ran fine & the 8.04-desktop-i386 runs in live mode without a
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> Memory tests ran without a problem for over 75 minutes, but with 4GB I
> >> wasn't going to wait for it to finish.
> >>
> >> Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache
> >>

> >> Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > I am not understanding at all. If you have the graphics ability, why in
> > the world are you using the alternate install which does not support
> > graphics??? The reason for the alternate install is to put Ubuntu on a
> > machine which has limited or obsolete graphics abilities such as older
> > boxes and/or server boxes. What you are needing is the stuff which can
> > read your more advanced graphics and implement it, missing from the
> > alternate install as it really is most useful to CLI user.
>
> I've never heard anything about the Alternate Install having fewer
> graphics drivers. I always thought it traded the live capability for
> more choices. I've used the Alt installer (i386 version) before so I
> could better manage the way I wanted partitions set up.
> Besides, I couldn't use the desktop/live version because it suffers from
> the same problem.
>
> Mark

I too on a new machine that I've built, get a load of garbage at the top of
the screen when the bootup gets as far as starting X. These are horizontal
lines of various colours, which looks like it should be text, then the
machine totally locks up. Mouse pointer is still there. A hard reset is
necessary.

I've had problems installing, and post install rebooting with several distros
on this new machine (Kubuntu GG 7.10, Fedora 8, Archlinux, Kubuntu HH 8.04,
and Fedora 9), only Kubuntu Breezy installed with no problems, but that's
using a lot earlier 2.6.12 kernel.

To boot the live HH 8.04, I had to add acpi=off to the kernel boot line, which
got me to the KDE desktop, where I clicked on the install icon, and HH
installed ok. A post install reboot brought me again to the start X stage,
with the same load of garbage at the top of the screen, and the machine came
to a dead stop again. Another hard reset, and appended the kernel line in
Grub with acpi=off. Now it booted ok, I still got the garbage at the top of
the screen when X started, but it then progressed to the KDM login screen,
and all the garbage was gone.

I've had to do similar things with all the installs on this new machine,
except Breezy with the 2.6.12 kernel. Upgrading Breezy to Dapper gave me a
new kernel 2.6.15, and booting with this brought back the old problem, with
the machine locking up when X started. In this case I appended the kernel
line in Grub with a 3, hoping to boot into runlevel 3, but instead of ending
up in runlevel 3, the bootup progressed to the KDM login screen, and the
problem was resolved. All a bit weird, but if it works use it.

So to conclude, you could try the following. None may work, but worth a try.
acpi=off
noapic
nolapic
noapic nolapic (this one I need on the Fedora 8 install)

2 worth of perhaps useless info.

Hardware: Asus M2N-X Plus mobo, with AMD64 3800+ cpu, and Asus ati 1550 based
graphics card (pci-express)

Nigel.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Young

Brian McKee wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM, Young <tuxman@knology.net> wrote:
>> I just built a new system and installed Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64.
>>
>> The system boots into a fractured graphics image with the Ubuntu logo
>> repeating 5 times across the screen. Each repeat is just horizontal
>> lines like a bad version of the AT&T globe logo. There's also a lot of
>> garbage on the screen, and no evidence of a cursor pointer.
>
> That sounds like the usplash image. Did you leave it long enough to
> complete booting? It's possible only the usplash is an issue, and
> it's OK once gdm starts. You could also hit escape at the GRUB
> prompt and edit the boot to remove the 'quiet' options and/or put it
> in plain text mode until X starts.
>
> Brian

Brian,

I did leave it on long enough to allow it to complete booting.

I just rebooted. I forgot to mention that the initial splash, the one
with the logo..Ubuntu with the orange progress bar underneath looks
fine, then it goes to the next screen which is hosed. It has the 5
fractured logos, but now the bottom of the screen has a portion of the
default desktop background which is completely legible.

As a test, I just powered down the system and then brought it back up
(instead of using the restart switch) and this time it's back to the
white pattern at the bottom of the screen that it had before. I'm
guessing this is the content of video memory on power-up, which implies
that video memory isn't being addressed correctly.

Mark

Old 08-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Young

Young wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM, Young <tuxman@knology.net> wrote:
>>> I just built a new system and installed Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64.
>>>
>>> The system boots into a fractured graphics image with the Ubuntu logo
>>> repeating 5 times across the screen. Each repeat is just horizontal
>>> lines like a bad version of the AT&T globe logo. There's also a lot of
>>> garbage on the screen, and no evidence of a cursor pointer.
>> That sounds like the usplash image. Did you leave it long enough to
>> complete booting? It's possible only the usplash is an issue, and
>> it's OK once gdm starts. You could also hit escape at the GRUB
>> prompt and edit the boot to remove the 'quiet' options and/or put it
>> in plain text mode until X starts.
>>
>> Brian
>>
> Brian,
>
> I did leave it on long enough to allow it to complete booting.
>
> I just rebooted. I forgot to mention that the initial splash, the one
> with the logo..Ubuntu with the orange progress bar underneath looks
> fine, then it goes to the next screen which is hosed. It has the 5
> fractured logos, but now the bottom of the screen has a portion of the
> default desktop background which is completely legible.
>
> As a test, I just powered down the system and then brought it back up
> (instead of using the restart switch) and this time it's back to the
> white pattern at the bottom of the screen that it had before. I'm
> guessing this is the content of video memory on power-up, which implies
> that video memory isn't being addressed correctly.
>
> Mark

Also, if the system is left alone for long enough, the display goes
black (screensaver) and then returns when the mouse is moved. So, I'm
guessing that the system is running okay, except for the graphics.

Mark