Old 08-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Alan Milnes

Default New System Problem

Pastor JW wrote:

> I am not understanding at all. If you have the graphics ability, why in the
> world are you using the alternate install which does not support graphics???
> The reason for the alternate install is to put Ubuntu on a machine which has
> limited or obsolete graphics abilities such as older boxes and/or server
> boxes.

You're getting mixed up with the Server install. The alternate install
is a different, text based, installation method which still ends up with
a standard Ubuntu install including all the Graphics bling. It's often
used where the Live CD has problems and some people just prefer it.

Alan

Old 08-14-2008, 07:44 PM
NoOp

On 08/14/2008 08:50 AM, Young wrote:

> Also, if the system is left alone for long enough, the display goes
> black (screensaver) and then returns when the mouse is moved. So, I'm
> guessing that the system is running okay, except for the graphics.
>
> Mark

Try changing the default screen depth to 16 instead of 24 in your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Young

NoOp wrote:
> On 08/14/2008 08:50 AM, Young wrote:
>
>> Also, if the system is left alone for long enough, the display goes
>> black (screensaver) and then returns when the mouse is moved. So, I'm
>> guessing that the system is running okay, except for the graphics.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> Try changing the default screen depth to 16 instead of 24 in your
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

The /etc/X11/xorg.conf file looks like this; on my old machine (up to
date), the hard drive of the new machine, and the file system image of
the Live cd on the new machine.

Wouldn't the screen depth need to be changed at a lower level than this?
Or is there a way to change it in this file by replacing "Default
Screen" with something else?

-----------
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
EndSection

Old 08-14-2008, 08:36 PM
NoOp

On 08/14/2008 01:07 PM, Young wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 08/14/2008 08:50 AM, Young wrote:
>>
>>> Also, if the system is left alone for long enough, the display goes
>>> black (screensaver) and then returns when the mouse is moved. So, I'm
>>> guessing that the system is running okay, except for the graphics.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>

>> Try changing the default screen depth to 16 instead of 24 in your
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
>>

> The /etc/X11/xorg.conf file looks like this; on my old machine (up to
> date), the hard drive of the new machine, and the file system image of
> the Live cd on the new machine.
>
> Wouldn't the screen depth need to be changed at a lower level than this?
> Or is there a way to change it in this file by replacing "Default
> Screen" with something else?

[snip]

> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"