Old 08-13-2008, 10:26 PM
"Kennneth P. Turvey"

Default UUIDs on drives (was Hibernate on batery low)

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:27:39 +1000, Res wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Kennneth P. Turvey wrote:
>
>>> BS. read ubuntuforums lately? even second person has problems geting
>>> it to work, if you really want it to work, dump ubuntus version and
>>> use the UPSTREAMS, it works fine.
>>
>> Apparently this isn't a problem right now. I can't hibernate at all
>> now. The only issue I can think of that might of caused this problem
>> is that I resized some of the partitions on my hard drive the the UID
>> of the swap partition has changed. Now it doesn't restart from
>> hibernation (which seems to work fine), but goes back to the login
>> screen.
>
> does " free " show you have a swap ?
>
> (I hate how they use these uid labels, it seems to have created problems
> for a few people from reading ubuntuforums, and in here, refer the rsync
> thread from hrmm, 6 weeks ago(?), most other distros get along fine
> without crap like this (maybe im just too old school, and old... I dunno
> <G> )

I prefer the old method too. I think the problem is that many people use
external drives now and the devices will change, so UUIDs solve the
problem.

Is this the correct reasoning? I'm just guessing here. Are there any
other advantages to using UUIDs that I'm missing?

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com>
http://www.electricsenator.net

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-13-2008, 10:55 PM
"Owen Townend"

2008/8/14 Kennneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com>:

>>> Apparently this isn't a problem right now. I can't hibernate at all
>>> now. The only issue I can think of that might of caused this problem
>>> is that I resized some of the partitions on my hard drive the the UID
>>> of the swap partition has changed. Now it doesn't restart from
>>> hibernation (which seems to work fine), but goes back to the login
>>> screen.
>>
>> does " free " show you have a swap ?
>>
>> (I hate how they use these uid labels, it seems to have created problems
>> for a few people from reading ubuntuforums, and in here, refer the rsync
>> thread from hrmm, 6 weeks ago(?), most other distros get along fine
>> without crap like this (maybe im just too old school, and old... I dunno
>> <G> )
>
> I prefer the old method too. I think the problem is that many people use
> external drives now and the devices will change, so UUIDs solve the
> problem.
>
> Is this the correct reasoning? I'm just guessing here. Are there any
> other advantages to using UUIDs that I'm missing?

Hey,
Going by previous threads discussing this there are a few other good
reasons for UUIDs too:
- Parallelism in boot scripts means devices are not always detected
in the same order.
- Device nodes such as /dev/sda are assigned on a first-come basis,
so disconnecting a disk bumps other devices up the numbering system.
- Labels are not always unique, (especially for removable devices
when the default is left un-altered).

Using UUIDs gives you an (almost - it's statistically _unlikely_ that
there'll be a clash) guaranteed unique way of identifying a particular
component be it disk, usb stick, filesystem, volume group, raid array,
etc.
These should also be unique across _multiple_ systems so you can
assign rules for mounting your usb stick, disk or array and know that
if/when it's connected the system will deal with it the way that you
intend. This is not for security (you could deliberately cause a
clash, or even simply change the UUID especially if you have physical
and/or root access), it's for sanity.

cheers,
Owen.