Old 08-13-2008, 08:53 PM
"Chris Mohler"

Default improving sound

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:36 PM, norman <norman@littletank.org> wrote:
> I would like to improve both the volume and quality of sound from my
> Inspiron 1525 and still be able to carry the machine around with me. Is
> it possible to achieve this, please? I am running Ubuntu 8.04.

Hi Norman,

On my Dell Vostro 1500 sound was working "out of the box", but not
very well. In my case, some of the sound channels were "hidden" and
turned down. There are two ways around this (that I know of):

The GUI way (in Gnome)
1. Double-click the volume-slider applet in the panel
2. Select Edit->Preferences
3. Turn on some of the unchecked channels (for me it was either PCM or
Front - don't remember)
4. Close the dialog, then crank up the volume on the extra channels

The TUI way
1. Open a terminal and type 'alsamixer' and press enter
2. Scroll to the left and right with arrow keys, increase volume with
up/down arrow keys. Keep going all the way past the right-most -
sometimes there are even more channels.

If that doesn't work, we probably need to know what sound card you
have. Type 'lspci' in a terminal and paste the output back here.

Chris

Old 08-14-2008, 07:48 AM
norman

> I gather a Inspiration 1525 is a computer. Is it a laptop? Why not
> carry the computer with you?

Yes it is and I can carry it with me.

> What is wrong with the sound? Is it good sound but not loud enough?
> Or is there no sound? Please more about this.

I like to listen to serious music and the problem is that the sound is
rather 'thin'. Also to be able to hear well I need the volume turned up
to maximum. Perhaps I am expecting too much from an onboard sound setup.

Norman

Old 08-14-2008, 07:50 AM
norman

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:36 PM, norman <norman@littletank.org> wrote:
> > I would like to improve both the volume and quality of sound from my
> > Inspiron 1525 and still be able to carry the machine around with me. Is
> > it possible to achieve this, please? I am running Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> Hi Norman,
>
> On my Dell Vostro 1500 sound was working "out of the box", but not
> very well. In my case, some of the sound channels were "hidden" and
> turned down. There are two ways around this (that I know of):
>
> The GUI way (in Gnome)
> 1. Double-click the volume-slider applet in the panel
> 2. Select Edit->Preferences
> 3. Turn on some of the unchecked channels (for me it was either PCM or
> Front - don't remember)
> 4. Close the dialog, then crank up the volume on the extra channels
>
> The TUI way
> 1. Open a terminal and type 'alsamixer' and press enter
> 2. Scroll to the left and right with arrow keys, increase volume with
> up/down arrow keys. Keep going all the way past the right-most -
> sometimes there are even more channels.
>
> If that doesn't work, we probably need to know what sound card you
> have. Type 'lspci' in a terminal and paste the output back here.

Thank you, I tried your suggestion and the volume improved.

Norman

Old 08-14-2008, 04:44 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 2:50 AM, norman <norman@littletank.org> wrote:

>> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:36 PM, norman <norman@littletank.org> wrote:
>> > I would like to improve both the volume and quality of sound from my
>> > Inspiron 1525 and still be able to carry the machine around with me. Is
>> > it possible to achieve this, please? I am running Ubuntu 8.04.
>>
>> Hi Norman,
>>
>> On my Dell Vostro 1500 sound was working "out of the box", but not
>> very well. In my case, some of the sound channels were "hidden" and
>> turned down. There are two ways around this (that I know of):
>>
>> The GUI way (in Gnome)
>> 1. Double-click the volume-slider applet in the panel
>> 2. Select Edit->Preferences
>> 3. Turn on some of the unchecked channels (for me it was either PCM or
>> Front - don't remember)
>> 4. Close the dialog, then crank up the volume on the extra channels
>>
>> The TUI way
>> 1. Open a terminal and type 'alsamixer' and press enter
>> 2. Scroll to the left and right with arrow keys, increase volume with
>> up/down arrow keys. Keep going all the way past the right-most -
>> sometimes there are even more channels.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, we probably need to know what sound card you
>> have. Type 'lspci' in a terminal and paste the output back here.
>
> Thank you, I tried your suggestion and the volume improved.

No problem. As far as quality goes, my laptop's built-in speakers are
a bit 'wimpy'. I generally use headphones or external speakers...

Chris

Old 08-15-2008, 02:28 PM
norman

< snip >

> No problem. As far as quality goes, my laptop's built-in speakers are
> a bit 'wimpy'. I generally use headphones or external speakers...

I have found some headphones and the quality of sound is much better.
I'll keep the headphones because of portability.

Norman

Old 08-16-2008, 02:06 AM
"Michael Haney"

Sonly MDR-CD180 over-the-ear headphones are very good. I have a pair
and they work great. I also have a pair of Creative Fata1ity
Professional Gaming Headphones which has very soft extra padding, an
adjustable boom mic and volume control on the cord. Its not a USB
headphone and plugs into the standard headphone and mic jack. Sound
quality is good but they were designed for the Creative Fata1ity sound
card CMSS 3D sound feature, but they still work just fine with any
other sound card.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com