Old 08-13-2008, 05:36 PM

Default newbie: getting wireless going on hardy

Thanks! I'm looking at the bug reports. And I've got Terminal in the
top menubar.

The localhost line in hosts lacks a <machinename>. I'll try adding it.

The rest of the hosts file contains info re IPv6 capable hosts
including loopback, localnet, mcastprefix, allnodes, allrouters and
allhosts.

I don't have mail set up on my ubuntu machine or access over my LAN so
posting hosts is something of a chore.

That brings up another problem: my ubuntu IP address is 127.0.etc ...
But my LAN is running via Airport Extreme. Addresses (DHCP) are 10.0.
etc. The other machine on the LAN (this one) is running Leopard.

-J

Old 08-13-2008, 08:08 PM

I tried using gksu gedit to edit hosts, but gksu failed to launch (one
of the bugs below, I think).

So I used vi instead, then chown and chgrp.

Still no luck. I'm still getting the "Could not authenticate" error
from Network Manager/Settings

For the record, here's my edited hosts file:

yaza@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost ubuntu
127.0.1.1 ubuntu

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
yaza@ubuntu:~$

Additional info: a fresh install of 8.04 LTS.

There may be a translation from the bugs cited below regarding update-
manager, but I couldn't make the leap.

Any other suggestions?

thnx!

Old 08-14-2008, 04:07 PM
NoOp

On 08/13/2008 10:36 AM, jeffrey.berger@mac.com wrote:
> Thanks! I'm looking at the bug reports. And I've got Terminal in the
> top menubar.
>
> The localhost line in hosts lacks a <machinename>. I'll try adding it.
>
> The rest of the hosts file contains info re IPv6 capable hosts
> including loopback, localnet, mcastprefix, allnodes, allrouters and
> allhosts.
>
> I don't have mail set up on my ubuntu machine or access over my LAN so
> posting hosts is something of a chore.
>
> That brings up another problem: my ubuntu IP address is 127.0.etc ...
> But my LAN is running via Airport Extreme. Addresses (DHCP) are 10.0.
> etc. The other machine on the LAN (this one) is running Leopard.
>
> -J

Please bottom post on this list.

>> Before you edit your hosts file, please post your /etc/hosts file;
>> Applications|Accessories|Terminal:
>>
>> cat /etc/hosts

At least as a minimum post what you have in these two lines:

127.0.0.1
127.0.1.1

Old 08-14-2008, 05:10 PM

Here's hosts

yaza@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost ubuntu
127.0.1.1 ubuntu

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
yaza@ubuntu:~$

-------

Sorry re top post. Learning ...

-J

Old 08-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Derek Broughton

jeffrey.berger@mac.com wrote:

> Here's hosts
>
> yaza@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost ubuntu
> 127.0.1.1 ubuntu

Don't do that - either give it its own address, or alias it to localhost,
but the resolver can only use one of them (the first, iirc).

> -------
>
> Sorry re top post. Learning ...

Then why did you do it again? It's difficult to have a conversation this
way.

>> On 08/13/2008 10:36 AM, jeffrey.berger@mac.com wrote:

>>> That brings up another problem: my ubuntu IP address is 127.0.etc ...
>>> But my LAN is running via Airport Extreme. Addresses (DHCP) are 10.0.
>>> etc. The other machine on the LAN (this one) is running Leopard.

Not a problem. The IP address is attached to an interface. "localhost" is
attached to the "lo" interface, and the 10.0.x.x address is attached to
your LAN interface (probably eth* or wlan*). "ubuntu.your-domain"
(where "your-domain" is whatever your router is serving) should always
resolve to the 10.0.x.x address, but "ubuntu" could resolve to either, and
you would still find the right host.

More to the point, from elsewhere on the LAN can you find "ubuntu"?
--
derek

Old 08-14-2008, 07:36 PM
NoOp

On 08/14/2008 10:10 AM, jeffrey.berger@mac.com wrote:
> Here's hosts
>
> yaza@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost ubuntu
> 127.0.1.1 ubuntu

> ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
> yaza@ubuntu:~$
>
> -------
>
> Sorry re top post. Learning ...
>
> -J

OK, that looks fine.

Now from the terminal:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

and then:

hostname -f

and post the output of the hostname -f result.

- Are you still having authentication issues?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:52 PM

Output from hostname -f is
localhost

In the interim, 106 updates became available. I downloaded (wired) and
installed them. When I restarted, the Update Manager (if that's the
name of one of the icons in the right upper panel) announced that a
driver for the wireless card had become available.

I used Device Manager to install the new driver. This required
downloading and running an fwcutter. All of this was handled
automagically.

I just restarted again and (hooray!) the connected light on my
wireless card is lit for the 1st time running Ubuntu.

And I'm connected!

And no authentication issues either.

Thanks!!!
-J

Old 08-14-2008, 10:17 PM
NoOp

On 08/14/2008 12:11 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> jeffrey.berger@mac.com wrote:
>
>> Here's hosts
>>
>> yaza@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/hosts
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost ubuntu
>> 127.0.1.1 ubuntu
>
> Don't do that - either give it its own address, or alias it to localhost,
> but the resolver can only use one of them (the first, iirc).

Say what?

$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost wally.mshome
127.0.1.1 wally

Works quite well for me.

~$ hostname -f
wally

Ah... never mind - you are correct & I missed it on the first go around:

127.0.0.1 localhost ubuntu
should be:
127.0.0.1 localhost
or
127.0.0.1 localhost ubuntu.<workgroupname>

Jeffrey - change as Derek suggest, you don't want 'hostname -f'
resolving to 'localhost', you want it to resolve to 'ubuntu'.

[Thanks Derek :-) & apologies to Jeffrey for missing it]

Old 08-14-2008, 10:19 PM
NoOp

On 08/14/2008 01:52 PM, jeffrey.berger@mac.com wrote:
> Output from hostname -f is
> localhost
>
> In the interim, 106 updates became available. I downloaded (wired) and
> installed them. When I restarted, the Update Manager (if that's the
> name of one of the icons in the right upper panel) announced that a
> driver for the wireless card had become available.
>
> I used Device Manager to install the new driver. This required
> downloading and running an fwcutter. All of this was handled
> automagically.
>
> I just restarted again and (hooray!) the connected light on my
> wireless card is lit for the 1st time running Ubuntu.
>
> And I'm connected!
>
> And no authentication issues either.
>
> Thanks!!!
> -J

Cool! Now change /etc/hosts as Derek pointed out & you should be good to
go. Sorry that I missed this when I looked at your /etc/hosts previously.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:30 PM

Will do. And thanks Derek!
-J