Old 08-14-2008, 11:26 PM
NoOp

Default newbie: getting wireless going on hardy

On 08/14/2008 03:30 PM, jeffrey.berger@mac.com wrote:
> Will do. And thanks Derek!
> -J

[Bottom post please :-) - that is to post at the bottom of the reply]

It looks as if the changes that you downloaded resolved the issue. It's
been a longstanding problem:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gksu/+bug/187982
and seems to have been resolved with the latest libgksu
(2.0.5-1ubuntu5.2) update.

Anyway, glad you got it working & welcome to Ubuntu (wireless)!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Derek Broughton

jeffrey.berger@mac.com wrote:

> Will do. And thanks Derek!
> -J
>
> On Aug 14, 2008, at 5:19 PM, NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 08/14/2008 01:52 PM, jeffrey.berger@mac.com wrote:
>>> Output from hostname -f is
>>> localhost
>>>
>>> In the interim, 106 updates became available. I downloaded (wired)
>>> and
>>> installed them. When I restarted, the Update Manager (if that's the
>>> name of one of the icons in the right upper panel) announced that a
>>> driver for the wireless card had become available.
>>>
>>> I used Device Manager to install the new driver. This required
>>> downloading and running an fwcutter. All of this was handled
>>> automagically.
>>>
>>> I just restarted again and (hooray!) the connected light on my
>>> wireless card is lit for the 1st time running Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> And I'm connected!
>>>
>>> And no authentication issues either.
>>
>> Cool!

Very. I'd _guess_ that you were running on old firmware

>> Now change /etc/hosts as Derek pointed out & you should be
>> good to
>> go. Sorry that I missed this when I looked at your /etc/hosts
>> previously.

It's not really a big deal - I don't think it can cause any real issues,
just that you can only hang one IP on an interface (and since all 127.x.x.x
addresses map to the same one, anyway, they're _logically_ going to be a
single address).
--
derek

Old 08-15-2008, 02:39 PM

On Aug 14, 2008, at 7:42 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:

> jeffrey.berger@mac.com wrote:
>
>> Will do. And thanks Derek!
>> -J

>>> Cool!
>
> Very. I'd _guess_ that you were running on old firmware
>
>>> Now change /etc/hosts as Derek pointed out & you should be
>>> good to
>>> go. Sorry that I missed this when I looked at your /etc/hosts
>>> previously.
>
> It's not really a big deal - I don't think it can cause any real
> issues,
> just that you can only hang one IP on an interface (and since all
> 127.x.x.x
> addresses map to the same one, anyway, they're _logically_ going to
> be a
> single address).
> --
> derek

Changed already. What's more, I now know what bottom/top-posting
is! ;-) I thought you meant don't launch a new topic within an
existing thread.

-J