Old 08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
"Mumia W."

Default Help me. How to restore my ubuntu 6.06 because of faling to upgrade to 8.04

On 08/13/2008 12:51 AM, zhihang wang wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Mumia W. <
> paduille.4062.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net<paduill e.4062.mumia.w%2Bnospam@earthlink.net>
>> wrote:
>
>> On 08/12/2008 09:34 PM, zhihang wang wrote:
>>> When I upgrade my 6.06 to 8.04 directly by update from the internet, an
>>> error occure. The error message is:
>>> Unpacking xfonts-scalable (from .../xfonts-scalable_1%3a1.0.0-6_all.deb)
>>> Setting up xfonts-scalable (1:1.0.0-6) ...
>>> usage error: unrecognized option
>>> Usage: update-fonts-dir DIRECTORY ...
>>> [...]
>>> Now I can't enter gnome. How to restore my 6.06 or continue to upgrade?
>>>
>> I can't answer your question, but I can suggest that you install another
>> window manager until you get Gnome sorted out:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install blackbox bbkeys
>>
>> When you see the GDM login screen, select "Sessions" and choose Blackbox
>> when you wish to use the Blackbox window manager. Read the manual pages
>> for blackbox and bbkeys if you're not already familiar with them:
>>
>> man blackbox
>> man bbkeys
>>

> when I type your comand, it successfully download the need package.
> But an error occure. the erro message is:
>
> Preconfiguring packages....
> (Reading database... kpkg:error processing lib64ncurses5-dev (--remove):
> files list file for package 'xfonts-scalable' contains empty filename
> Errors were encooutered while processing:
> lib64ncurses5-dev
> Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1).

Please bottom-post on this mail-list.

I can't see what lib64ncurses5-dev has to do with xfonts-scalable.
Perhaps the package cache files have been corrupted; do this:

sudo -i
cd /var/cache/apt/
rm pkgcache.bin srcpkgcache.bin
rm archives/xfonts-scalable_1.0.0-6_all.deb
rm archives/lib64ncurses5-dev_5.6+20071124-1ubuntu2_i386.deb
apt-get --reinstall install lib64ncurses5-dev xfonts-scalable
exit

The above commands should clear out the old cache files, delete possibly
untrustworthy .debs and reinstall the packages that seem to be holding
up installations and upgrades. Note, if there are any other
lib64ncurses5-dev in /var/cache/apt/archives, please delete them; the
same goes for xfonts-scalable.