Old 08-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Schiz0

Default Increase Auto-Load Time of Grub

Hey,

I have a dual-boot setup (Windows XP and Ubuntu Hardy). Right now, the
auto-load wait time of grub (where I have a choice to select what OS I
want to boot) is only like 7 seconds. Is there a way I can increase it
to, say, 60 seconds?

Thanks.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:12 PM
"Asif Iqbal"

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Schiz0 <schiz0phrenic21@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have a dual-boot setup (Windows XP and Ubuntu Hardy). Right now, the
> auto-load wait time of grub (where I have a choice to select what OS I
> want to boot) is only like 7 seconds. Is there a way I can increase it
> to, say, 60 seconds?

change the timeout value in /boot/grub/menu.lst to 60

> Thanks.

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

Old 08-13-2008, 03:13 PM
"Juan Bautista Blasco"

Hi,
you should change the timeout in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Old 08-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Karl Larsen

Schiz0 wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have a dual-boot setup (Windows XP and Ubuntu Hardy). Right now, the
> auto-load wait time of grub (where I have a choice to select what OS I
> want to boot) is only like 7 seconds. Is there a way I can increase it
> to, say, 60 seconds?
>
> Thanks.

You can make it 2 hours if you want. Here is my setting from
/boot/grub/menu.lst..

karl@karl-hardy:~$ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
# grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
# grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
# and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.

## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from
0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default
entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
default 0

## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the
default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout 10

Where it says timeout 10 it means 10 seconds. Make it what you want.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User