Old 12-06-2007, 11:49 PM
"Rajiv Vyas"

Default Fire Fox crashes very often

Hi James:

>Is there a particular type of page (page content) that seems to
freeze FF for you?

That's the problem. There are no specific sites. But it is a
particular site on a give day. Today, for instance, FF crashes when I
try to reply to an email on my company's Web-based email system. I've
been using 7.10 since October and never had problems using my
company's email. Other times, it could be a newspaper site that would
take it down. It's pretty random.

> Has this happened after an update but you haven't yet rebooted ubuntu? If this one, try rebooting and it may fix things

I have rebooted my PC a few times but that doesn't solve the problem.
Also, Ubuntu was a fresh install and not an upgrade.

Thanks,

Old 12-07-2007, 06:15 AM
"Shrikar archak"

Same here for me firefox crashes whenever I try to view a page with flash contents in it.
Have the latest flash plugin still facing the issue.
Please let me know if* there is a work around

Thanks,
Shrikar

Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 PM
"paul"

Hi. It happens to me too, very often, more than twice a day. I'm considering
delete ~/.mozilla and then install all plugins I have now, one per day and watch
results.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:43 PM
"Rajiv Vyas"

Another problem I face is that if Galeon is running, then I can't use
Evolution. I can read emails in Evolution but if I hit the "reply"
button, then the "Reply" window is blank -- essentially crashes.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:02 PM
claudiu vlad

Please try to run firefox in terminal and report what you see there looking like an error.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:06 PM
"Matthew Clarke"

On Dec 6, 2007 7:49 PM, Rajiv Vyas <rajiv1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi James:
>
> >Is there a particular type of page (page content) that seems to
> freeze FF for you?
>
> That's the problem. There are no specific sites. But it is a
> particular site on a give day. Today, for instance, FF crashes when I
> try to reply to an email on my company's Web-based email system. I've
> been using 7.10 since October and never had problems using my
> company's email. Other times, it could be a newspaper site that would
> take it down. It's pretty random.
>

> > Has this happened after an update but you haven't yet rebooted ubuntu? If this one, try rebooting and it may fix things
>
> I have rebooted my PC a few times but that doesn't solve the problem.
> Also, Ubuntu was a fresh install and not an upgrade.

Do you have google toolbar installed? I have recently troubleshooted
this on my gutsy system and that was the problem. Apparently the
ubuntu build of firefox on gutsy does not work well at all with the
google toolbar. It generally freezes on creation of a new FF
window/tab. I have not had a single freeze since disabling google
toolbar.

Current workarounds that I read about on the forums is to 1) disable
google toolbar, 2) install the mozilla build of firefox using
ubuntuzilla.

Cheers,
MC

--
Matthew Clarke

Old 12-07-2007, 11:16 PM
James Takac

On Friday 07 December 2007 17:15:44 Shrikar archak wrote:
> Same here for me firefox crashes whenever I try to view a page with flash
> contents in it.
> Have the latest flash plugin still facing the issue.
> Please let me know if there is a work around
>
> Thanks,
> Shrikar

Hi Shrikar

Not really a work around or fix but maybe try another browser like opera for
example. Or you could try ies4linux which installs the flash plugin for IE in
the process as well

James

PS
Just saw in a thread elsewhere it tends to happen when in 16 bit colour mode
and a change to 24 bit seems to fix it for some

Old 12-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Caleb Marcus

Another problem I face is that if Galeon is running, then I can't use
Evolution. I can read emails in Evolution but if I hit the "reply"
button, then the "Reply" window is blank -- essentially crashes.

Galeon? You should try Epiphany. I use it and have no problem with Evolution.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:46 PM
niel

On Friday 07 December 2007 23.06.06 Matthew Clarke wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2007 7:49 PM, Rajiv Vyas <rajiv1@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi James:
> > >Is there a particular type of page (page content) that seems to
> >
> > freeze FF for you?
> >
> > That's the problem. There are no specific sites. But it is a
> > particular site on a give day. Today, for instance, FF crashes when I
> > try to reply to an email on my company's Web-based email system. I've
> > been using 7.10 since October and never had problems using my
> > company's email. Other times, it could be a newspaper site that would
> > take it down. It's pretty random.
> >
> > > Has this happened after an update but you haven't yet rebooted ubuntu?
> > > If this one, try rebooting and it may fix things
> >
> > I have rebooted my PC a few times but that doesn't solve the problem.
> > Also, Ubuntu was a fresh install and not an upgrade.
>
> Do you have google toolbar installed? I have recently troubleshooted
> this on my gutsy system and that was the problem. Apparently the
> ubuntu build of firefox on gutsy does not work well at all with the
> google toolbar. It generally freezes on creation of a new FF
> window/tab. I have not had a single freeze since disabling google
> toolbar.
>
> Current workarounds that I read about on the forums is to 1) disable
> google toolbar, 2) install the mozilla build of firefox using
> ubuntuzilla.
>
> Cheers,
> MC
>
> --
> Matthew Clarke

I have had problems with too many add-ons extensions at the same time.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:07 AM
"Rajiv Vyas"

> Do you have google toolbar installed? I have recently troubleshooted
> this on my gutsy system and that was the problem. Apparently the
> ubuntu build of firefox on gutsy does not work well at all with the
> google toolbar. It generally freezes on creation of a new FF
> window/tab. I have not had a single freeze since disabling google
> toolbar.
>
> Current workarounds that I read about on the forums is to 1) disable
> google toolbar, 2) install the mozilla build of firefox using
> ubuntuzilla.

Implemented both these suggestions and this has reduced the crashes
quite a lot (by a fifth I would say). Also, as strange as it sounds,
Galeon seems to be working fine with evolution now. So, I can actually
reply to emails using Evolution while previously, the reply window
would freeze if Galeon was running.

Thanks,