Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Schiz0

Default Getting rid of Proprietary ATI Driver

Hey,

I installed Ubuntu 8.0.4.1. It said I needed the restricted ATI
driver, so I enabled it. It downloaded and installed the package, then
I rebooted. Now xorg crashes about 1 minute after I can see the
desktop, every single time. I'd like to get rid of the restricted
driver. Is there a way I can do it via commandline? I don't have
enough time to uncheck the 'restricted drivers' box before xorg
crashes.

Thanks.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Karl Larsen

Schiz0 wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I installed Ubuntu 8.0.4.1. It said I needed the restricted ATI
> driver, so I enabled it. It downloaded and installed the package, then
> I rebooted. Now xorg crashes about 1 minute after I can see the
> desktop, every single time. I'd like to get rid of the restricted
> driver. Is there a way I can do it via commandline? I don't have
> enough time to uncheck the 'restricted drivers' box before xorg
> crashes.
>
> Thanks.

I timed myself and I got to System->Administration->Hardware Drivers
and gave my password and then can uncheck my nVidia driver in about 40
seconds.

Are you sure you have a full 60 seconds?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 PM
NoOp

On 08/12/2008 01:01 PM, Schiz0 wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I installed Ubuntu 8.0.4.1. It said I needed the restricted ATI
> driver, so I enabled it. It downloaded and installed the package, then
> I rebooted. Now xorg crashes about 1 minute after I can see the
> desktop, every single time. I'd like to get rid of the restricted
> driver. Is there a way I can do it via commandline? I don't have
> enough time to uncheck the 'restricted drivers' box before xorg
> crashes.
>
> Thanks.

Two possible solutions:

1. Reboot in recovery mode and select xfix and then continue to boot.
That will generally correct most problems.
Note: that will overwrite whatever you previously had in xorg.conf. It
does save a copy of the old, but since this is a new install it probably
doesn't matter anyway.

2. At the login screen select "Options|Select Session|Failsafe GNOME"
and then enter your username and password & and that will open gnome
without any startup scripts.

Please post back after doing 1 or 2 (or both).

Note: if Failsafe GNOME works, you can remove the driver by opening a
terminal (Applications|Accessories|Terminal) and then:

sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx

Or use System|Administration|Synaptic|Search|fglrx
and remove from there.

If Failsafe GNOME doesn't work:

Ctrl-Alt-F1
login with your username & password
sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx
exit
reboot.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:11 AM
"Mumia W."

On 08/12/2008 03:01 PM, Schiz0 wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I installed Ubuntu 8.0.4.1. It said I needed the restricted ATI
> driver, so I enabled it. It downloaded and installed the package, then
> I rebooted. Now xorg crashes about 1 minute after I can see the
> desktop, every single time. I'd like to get rid of the restricted
> driver. Is there a way I can do it via commandline? I don't have
> enough time to uncheck the 'restricted drivers' box before xorg
> crashes.
>
> Thanks.

From the command line do this:

sudo apt-get --remove <packagename>

You can usually get a virtual terminal by keying Control-Alt-F2.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 23:11 -0500, Mumia W. wrote:
> sudo apt-get --remove <packagename>

That would be "apt-get remove <packagename>"

Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 PM
"Raphael Yves Sabbat"

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 23:11 -0500, Mumia W. wrote:

> sudo apt-get --remove <packagename>;

That would be "apt-get remove <packagename>"

you can also reboot in Recovery mode and run:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

That will run you through the xorg setup and you will have the original setup you had before you enabled the restricted drivers

Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 AM
"Mumia W."

On 08/13/2008 03:02 PM, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 23:11 -0500, Mumia W. wrote:
>> sudo apt-get --remove <packagename>
>
> That would be "apt-get remove <packagename>"

Yes, sorry about that :-)