Old 08-12-2008, 05:37 PM
SwampYankee

Default help with sudo and path

Hi,
I am trying to run nethack wizard mode but when I do so using sudo the
path can not be found. So, if I type nethack, no problem However, I
enter sudo -s, provide the password and type 'nethack' I get this:

Command 'nethack' is available in '/usr/games/nethack'
The command could not be located because '/usr/games' is not included in
the PATH environment variable.

What can I do to run this as sudo?
thanks

Old 08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
"Mark Haney"

SwampYankee wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to run nethack wizard mode but when I do so using sudo the
> path can not be found. So, if I type nethack, no problem However, I
> enter sudo -s, provide the password and type 'nethack' I get this:
>
> Command 'nethack' is available in '/usr/games/nethack'
> The command could not be located because '/usr/games' is not included in
> the PATH environment variable.
>
> What can I do to run this as sudo?
> thanks

The down and dirty way? Add it to the PATH. Or, use the full path
name: sudo -s <password> /usr/games/nethack

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 08-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 13:37 -0400, SwampYankee wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to run nethack wizard mode but when I do so using sudo the
> path can not be found. So, if I type nethack, no problem However, I
> enter sudo -s, provide the password and type 'nethack' I get this:
>
> Command 'nethack' is available in '/usr/games/nethack'
> The command could not be located because '/usr/games' is not included in
> the PATH environment variable.
>
> What can I do to run this as sudo?

There is discussion of this problem here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sudo/+bug/50797

and they have some recommendations for getting around the secure path
issue.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect