Old 08-11-2008, 09:03 PM
"Verde Denim"

Default SOLUTION: 8.04 LTS hangs on locale

This is from Launchpad... and it worked for me, too.

run the dist-upgrade as recommended. If the process hangs at
generating locales, taking more than 20min for the first one and still
not continuing:

chmod 644 /usr/bin/localedef

killall locale-gen

now the process should continue, but throwing a bunch of errors
(simply ignore those). If it still not continues, check whether
locale-gen has really been killed (ps aux|grep locale-gen) and repeat
"killall locale-gen" until it's gone.

When update-manager is done, don't forget to

chmod 755 /usr/bin/localedef

For me, update-manager seemed to be able to finally solve the issue,
there have been no more steps required after the above. But just to be
sure:

Reboot to the normal grub option offered (i.e. the latest kernel
just installed), but do not yet login graphically. Instead, press
Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a text console. Login there, and run

apt-get dist-upgrade

dpkg --configure -a

As just stated, in my case both were done within a second, simply
stating there was nothing to do. Now you can logout here (type "exit"
or press Ctrl-D), return to the graphical console (Alt-F7), and login.
You are done.

Jack