Old 08-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Doug Pollard

Default change permitions in user home

I need to change permissions on some of my user files. I have the
command but i need to know how to apply it to an individual file. Do I
click on the file and then put in the command. That dosn't seem to
work. Been reading all morning can find ways to change all the files
but not to single out an individual file. I have files that everybody
can write to ,read and exicute and I want to change just those files so
that I as the owner of them can write to them.
Thanks Doug

Old 08-11-2008, 04:44 PM
"Raphael Yves Sabbat"

I need to change permissions on some of my user files. * I have the

command but i need to know how to apply it to an individual file. *Do I

click on the file and then put in the command. * That dosn't seem to

work. *Been reading all morning can find ways to change all the files

but not to single out an individual file. *I have files that everybody

can write to ,read and exicute and I want to change just those files so

that I as the owner of them can write to them.

* * * * * *Thanks Doug

You can do it in the terminal, the command would look like this:

sudo chmod 755 /path/of/your/file.extension

Assuming 755 is what you want

Old 08-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Doug Pollard

Raphael Yves Sabbat wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Doug Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net
> <mailto:dougpol1@verizon.net>> wrote:
>
> I need to change permissions on some of my user files. I have the
> command but i need to know how to apply it to an individual file.
> Do I
> click on the file and then put in the command. That dosn't seem to
> work. Been reading all morning can find ways to change all the files
> but not to single out an individual file. I have files that everybody
> can write to ,read and exicute and I want to change just those
> files so
> that I as the owner of them can write to them.
> Thanks Doug

> You can do it in the terminal, the command would look like this:
> sudo chmod 755 /path/of/your/file.extension
>
> Assuming 755 is what you want

Does the arbitrary number 755 that you used represent a file number?
How do I find this number. Thanks Doug

Old 08-11-2008, 05:20 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Doug Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:

Raphael Yves Sabbat wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Doug Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net

> <mailto:dougpol1@verizon.net>> wrote:

> * * I need to change permissions on some of my user files. * I have the

> * * command but i need to know how to apply it to an individual file.

> * * *Do I

> * * click on the file and then put in the command. * That dosn't seem to

> * * work. *Been reading all morning can find ways to change all the files

> * * but not to single out an individual file. *I have files that everybody

> * * can write to ,read and exicute and I want to change just those

> * * files so

> * * that I as the owner of them can write to them.

> * * * * * * * *Thanks Doug

> * * --

> * * ubuntu-users mailing list

> * * ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

> * * Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

> You can do it in the terminal, the command would look like this:

> sudo chmod 755 /path/of/your/file.extension

> Assuming 755 is what you want

*Does the arbitrary number 755 that you used represent a file number?

How do I find this number. * * * *Thanks Doug
Doug
755 is the permission for the file - translating into rwxr-xr-x

Jack

Old 08-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 12:37 -0400, Doug Pollard wrote:
> I need to change permissions on some of my user files. I have the
> command but i need to know how to apply it to an individual file. Do I
> click on the file and then put in the command. That dosn't seem to
> work. Been reading all morning can find ways to change all the files
> but not to single out an individual file. I have files that everybody
> can write to ,read and exicute and I want to change just those files so
> that I as the owner of them can write to them.
> Thanks Doug

In Nautllis you can right click on the file and change the permissions
when you bring up the permission tab.

On the command line you can use chmod to change permissions. Sounds
like you want to do something like:

chmod u-x,g-wx,o-wx filename

Or with the octal codes:

chmod 644 filename

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 08-11-2008, 05:32 PM
John K Masters

On 13:14 Mon 11 Aug , Doug Pollard wrote:
> Raphael Yves Sabbat wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Doug Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net
> > <mailto:dougpol1@verizon.net>> wrote:
> >
> > I need to change permissions on some of my user files. I have the
> > command but i need to know how to apply it to an individual file.
> >
> > You can do it in the terminal, the command would look like this:
> > sudo chmod 755 /path/of/your/file.extension
> >
> > Assuming 755 is what you want
> >
> Does the arbitrary number 755 that you used represent a file number?
> How do I find this number. Thanks Doug

I recommend you read the man page for chmod but to simplify:-

Each number represents the Read Write eXecute permissions for Owner,
Group and All respectively. Therefore 7 = rwx (Read, Write & eXecute)
5 means Read and eXecute only.

Think of it like this- r w x
4 2 1

For each of Owner, Group and All add the permissions you want and that
is the number you need.

There is a lot more but you can probably get by with just the above to
start with.

--
Regards, John

Old 08-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Doug Pollard

Verde Denim wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Doug Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net
> <mailto:dougpol1@verizon.net>> wrote:
>
> Raphael Yves Sabbat wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Doug Pollard
> <dougpol1@verizon.net <mailto:dougpol1@verizon.net>
> > <mailto:dougpol1@verizon.net <mailto:dougpol1@verizon.net>>> wrote:
> >
> > I need to change permissions on some of my user files. I
> have the
> > command but i need to know how to apply it to an individual
> file.
> > Do I
> > click on the file and then put in the command. That dosn't
> seem to
> > work. Been reading all morning can find ways to change all
> the files
> > but not to single out an individual file. I have files that
> everybody
> > can write to ,read and exicute and I want to change just those
> > files so
> > that I as the owner of them can write to them.
> > Thanks Doug
> >
> > --
> >

> > You can do it in the terminal, the command would look like this:
> > sudo chmod 755 /path/of/your/file.extension
> >
> > Assuming 755 is what you want
> >
> Does the arbitrary number 755 that you used represent a file number?
> How do I find this number. Thanks Doug
>

> Doug
> 755 is the permission for the file - translating into rwxr-xr-x
>
> Jack

OK, I am trying to change the permissions of maybe 30 out of a hundred
files. How do I designate which files to change. I don't want to
change them all. If I put in 755 will it change all the files that
don't meet that criteria or standard. Is that the way it works?
thanks
Doug

Old 08-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 13:38 -0400, Doug Pollard wrote:

> OK, I am trying to change the permissions of maybe 30 out of a hundred
> files. How do I designate which files to change. I don't want to
> change them all. If I put in 755 will it change all the files that
> don't meet that criteria or standard. Is that the way it works?

You need to list the files individually or use wildcard matching. If
the file you want to change start with the letter 'a', you could match
all files starting with 'a' with something like:

a*

TO change the permissions on these files do:

chmod 644 a*

You can see what your wildcard matches by using the echo command like
this:

echo a*

You will get a list of all the files matching your wildcard. To get a
description of wildcard matching look at the man page for globbing which
is what the pattern matching was called in the old days of Unix.

man 7 glob
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Doug Pollard wrote:

>> You can do it in the terminal, the command would look like this:
>> sudo chmod 755 /path/of/your/file.extension
>>
>> Assuming 755 is what you want
>>
> Does the arbitrary number 755 that you used represent a file number?
> How do I find this number. Thanks Doug

Tell me, did it ever occur to you to pick up a book on linux and read it?
The questions you are asking are *extremely* basic.

--
Bob Holtzman
To enjoy life take big bites. Moderation is for monks.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:45 PM
"Ashley Benton"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Doug Pollard wrote:

>> You can do it in the terminal, the command would look like this:

>> sudo chmod 755 /path/of/your/file.extension

>> Assuming 755 is what you want

> *Does the arbitrary number 755 that you used represent a file number?

> How do I find this number. * * * *Thanks Doug

Tell me, did it ever occur to you to pick up a book on linux and read it?

The questions you are asking are *extremely* basic.

I don't know if he has a book but if he looked on internet and had no idea what he was looking for I think asking a question that at least put you in the good direction helps. I am sure I posed also very basic question when I begun.

Why not type man chmod in the terminal, it will explain a lot about the command.

Meg*