Old 08-11-2008, 03:00 PM
"Verde Denim"

Default List entries - gmail

Is there a way to get my list entries/responses to show up on the list?
It seems that gmail either doesn't rate with the list or gmail is somehow blocking my entries/responses from showing up.
I can see the list, but it doesn't seem as though my entries/responses are being seen all the time. I know it sounds odd, but I've had them show up about a couple of weeks back. When I try to respond to posts as of last Wednesday, they aren't there.

Jack

Old 08-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Bas Roufs

Hello everybody
> Is there a way to get my list entries/responses to show up on the list?
> It seems that gmail either doesn't rate with the list or gmail is
> somehow blocking my entries/responses from showing up.
I have exactly the same problem. To a few lists I subscribed myself via
two e-mail providers: both GMAIL and GMX. This test makes me clear that
my own postings from GMAIL to the lists are being relayed - because I
see them coming back via those lists and via GMX. Also at the on-line
versions of those lists, I see my own postings. This means, GMAIL is -
as Jack says- 'blocking my entries/ responses' from showing up. Also on
the help files of GMAIL I saw that GMAIL deliberately prevents your own
postings to such lists from being show. This 'service' bothers me also.
However, I did not find yet any option to change the settings in such a
way that I can receive my own posting via such lists. Does anyone have
an idea how to change the settings from GMAIL with respect to the own
postings to lists?

Thx. for your reply!

Bas.

--
*************************
Viaconsensus

Rainbow News, views and visions: CircleLetterRainbow.net

European Rainbow Gathering in Serbia: Eurogathering.Rainbowinfo.net

Open source operating system: Linux - Kubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu.org

Old 08-11-2008, 03:35 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everybody

> Is there a way to get my list entries/responses to show up on the list?

> It seems that gmail either doesn't rate with the list or gmail is

> somehow blocking my entries/responses from showing up.

I have exactly the same problem. To a few lists I subscribed myself via

two e-mail providers: both GMAIL and GMX. This test makes me clear that

my own postings from GMAIL to the lists are being relayed - because I

see them coming back via those lists and via GMX. Also at the on-line

versions of those lists, I see my own postings. This means, GMAIL is -

as Jack says- 'blocking my entries/ responses' from showing up. Also on

the help files of GMAIL I saw that GMAIL deliberately prevents your own

postings to such lists from being show. This 'service' bothers me also.

However, I did not find yet any option to change the settings in such a

way that I can receive my own posting via such lists. Does anyone have

an idea how to change the settings from GMAIL with respect to the own

postings to lists?

Thx. for your reply!

Bas.

Bas~
Thanks for the reply. At least I know I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

Jack
*

--

*************************

Viaconsensus

Bas G. Roufs M.A.

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

NL-3514 VT *Utrecht

E.: *BasRoufs@gmail.com

M.: +31.6.446.835.10.

T.: +31.30.785.20.40.

**************************

Old 08-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Leo Cacciari

Il giorno lun, 11/08/2008 alle 11.35 -0400, Verde Denim ha scritto:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Hello everybody
> > Is there a way to get my list entries/responses to show up
> on the list?
> > It seems that gmail either doesn't rate with the list or
> gmail is
> > somehow blocking my entries/responses from showing up.
>
> I have exactly the same problem. To a few lists I subscribed

This comes out every once in a while. Yes, someone is blocking you from
seeing your posts. gmail does it. They even say that somewhere, they do
this «to avoid cluttering your mailbox» (!). Your messages are in your
_sent_ folder.

I'm using gmail myself, but I access it using the pop protocol and
evolution, so I'm not exactly sure how to handle it using the web
interface. However, in evolution what I did is to define a filter
looking for messages sent to the list both in the incoming and outgoing
folder. I imagine there is a similar workaround using the google
interface.

Enjoy

--
Leo Cacciari

Old 08-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Bas Roufs

> ...gmail does it. They even say that somewhere, they do this «to avoid cluttering your mailbox» (!). Your messages are in your _sent_ folder.

You are absolutely right. Of course, I use already a longer time the
sent folder in both POP3 and the web interface to find and archive my
own contributions to lists. But it still is a provisional, not very
satisfactory solution. I simply want to get direct feed-back from a list
about my contributions sent to it.
> I'm using gmail myself, but I access it using the pop protocol and evolution, so I'm not exactly sure how to handle it using the web interface. However, in evolution what I did is to define a filter looking for messages sent to the list both in the incoming and outgoing folder. I imagine there is a similar workaround using the google interface.

Another interesting suggestion for a provisional solution that does not
solve the core issue.
The only thing I really want in this context is GMAIL to give me an
option to 'clutter my e-mail box' with my own contributions. So far I
did not manage to find such an option.

Bas.

--
*************************
Viaconsensus

Old 08-11-2008, 05:01 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...gmail does it. They even say that somewhere, they do this «to avoid cluttering your mailbox» (!). Your messages are in your _sent_ folder.

You are absolutely right. Of course, I use already a longer time the

sent folder in both POP3 and the web interface to find and archive my

own contributions to lists. But it still is a provisional, not very

satisfactory solution. I simply want to get direct feed-back from a list

about my contributions sent to it.

> I'm using gmail myself, but I access it using the pop protocol and evolution, so I'm not exactly sure how to handle it using the web interface. However, in evolution what I did is to define a filter looking for messages sent to the list both in the incoming and outgoing folder. I imagine there is a similar workaround using the google interface.

Another interesting suggestion for a provisional solution that does not

solve the core issue.

The only thing I really want in this context is GMAIL to give me an

option to 'clutter my e-mail box' with my own contributions. So far I

did not manage to find such an option.

Bas.

I'm trying to post a message to the list without the full contact header, using only the email address to see if that makes a difference. I've noticed when sending new messages that it includes the "Ubuntu user techniical support, not for general discussion" in the address. I'm trying to see if that makes any difference when sending to the list.

Jack

--

*************************

Viaconsensus

Bas G. Roufs M.A.

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

NL-3514 VT *Utrecht

E.: *BasRoufs@gmail.com

M.: +31.6.446.835.10.

T.: +31.30.785.20.40.

**************************

Old 08-11-2008, 05:09 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...gmail does it. They even say that somewhere, they do this «to avoid cluttering your mailbox» (!). Your messages are in your _sent_ folder.

You are absolutely right. Of course, I use already a longer time the

sent folder in both POP3 and the web interface to find and archive my

own contributions to lists. But it still is a provisional, not very

satisfactory solution. I simply want to get direct feed-back from a list

about my contributions sent to it.

> I'm using gmail myself, but I access it using the pop protocol and evolution, so I'm not exactly sure how to handle it using the web interface. However, in evolution what I did is to define a filter looking for messages sent to the list both in the incoming and outgoing folder. I imagine there is a similar workaround using the google interface.

Another interesting suggestion for a provisional solution that does not

solve the core issue.

The only thing I really want in this context is GMAIL to give me an

option to 'clutter my e-mail box' with my own contributions. So far I

did not manage to find such an option.

Bas.

I'm trying to post a message to the list without the full contact header, using only the email address to see if that makes a difference. I've noticed when sending new messages that it includes the "Ubuntu user techniical support, not for general discussion" in the address. I'm trying to see if that makes any difference when sending to the list.

Jack
Well,it seems that worked once, but not now. I'll try contacting gmail support (if there is such a thing) and see if they can tell me anything different...

Jack

--

*************************

Viaconsensus

Bas G. Roufs M.A.

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

NL-3514 VT *Utrecht

E.: *BasRoufs@gmail.com

M.: +31.6.446.835.10.

T.: +31.30.785.20.40.

**************************

Old 08-11-2008, 05:26 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...gmail does it. They even say that somewhere, they do this «to avoid cluttering your mailbox» (!). Your messages are in your _sent_ folder.

You are absolutely right. Of course, I use already a longer time the

sent folder in both POP3 and the web interface to find and archive my

own contributions to lists. But it still is a provisional, not very

satisfactory solution. I simply want to get direct feed-back from a list

about my contributions sent to it.

> I'm using gmail myself, but I access it using the pop protocol and evolution, so I'm not exactly sure how to handle it using the web interface. However, in evolution what I did is to define a filter looking for messages sent to the list both in the incoming and outgoing folder. I imagine there is a similar workaround using the google interface.

Another interesting suggestion for a provisional solution that does not

solve the core issue.

The only thing I really want in this context is GMAIL to give me an

option to 'clutter my e-mail box' with my own contributions. So far I

did not manage to find such an option.

Bas.

It doesn't appear that filtering even works! Really frustrating...
What's amazingly absurd is that I advertised a couple of items for sale on Craigslist, and ALL of those messages are coming through just fine! "clutter up my mailbox, indeed"....

What a crock.

Jack

--

*************************

Viaconsensus

Bas G. Roufs M.A.

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

NL-3514 VT *Utrecht

E.: *BasRoufs@gmail.com

M.: +31.6.446.835.10.

T.: +31.30.785.20.40.

**************************

Old 08-11-2008, 06:06 PM
"Arthur H. Johnson II"

Verde Denim wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com
> <mailto:basroufs@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> > ...gmail does it. They even say that somewhere, they do this «to
> avoid cluttering your mailbox» (!). Your messages are in your
> _sent_ folder.
> >

> You are absolutely right. Of course, I use already a longer time the
> sent folder in both POP3 and the web interface to find and archive my
> own contributions to lists. But it still is a provisional, not very
> satisfactory solution. I simply want to get direct feed-back from
> a list
> about my contributions sent to it.
> > I'm using gmail myself, but I access it using the pop protocol
> and evolution, so I'm not exactly sure how to handle it using the
> web interface. However, in evolution what I did is to define a
> filter looking for messages sent to the list both in the incoming
> and outgoing folder. I imagine there is a similar workaround using
> the google interface.
> >
> Another interesting suggestion for a provisional solution that
> does not
> solve the core issue.
> The only thing I really want in this context is GMAIL to give me an
> option to 'clutter my e-mail box' with my own contributions. So far I
> did not manage to find such an option.
>
> Bas.
>

> It doesn't appear that filtering even works! Really frustrating...
> What's amazingly absurd is that I advertised a couple of items for
> sale on Craigslist, and ALL of those messages are coming through just
> fine! "clutter up my mailbox, indeed"....
> What a crock.
>
> Jack
Yeah, I tried to get server side filtering going on Gmail, and to no
avail. It doesn't seem to support filtering, only "labeling". The best
I've ever done is filter using Thunderbird, but then I have to maintain
two configs, which is pretty frustrating.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:12 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Arthur H. Johnson II <arthur.johnson@gmail.com> wrote:

Verde Denim wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com

> <mailto:basroufs@gmail.com>> wrote:

> * * > ...gmail does it. They even say that somewhere, they do this «to

> * * avoid cluttering your mailbox» (!). Your messages are in your

> * * _sent_ folder.

> * * >

> * * You are absolutely right. Of course, I use already a longer time the

> * * sent folder in both POP3 and the web interface to find and archive my

> * * own contributions to lists. But it still is a provisional, not very

> * * satisfactory solution. I simply want to get direct feed-back from

> * * a list

> * * about my contributions sent to it.

> * * > I'm using gmail myself, but I access it using the pop protocol

> * * and evolution, so I'm not exactly sure how to handle it using the

> * * web interface. However, in evolution what I did is to define a

> * * filter looking for messages sent to the list both in the incoming

> * * and outgoing folder. I imagine there is a similar workaround using

> * * the google interface.

> * * >

> * * Another interesting suggestion for a provisional solution that

> * * does not

> * * solve the core issue.

> * * The only thing I really want in this context is GMAIL to give me an

> * * option to 'clutter my e-mail box' with my own contributions. So far I

> * * did not manage to find such an option.

> * * Bas.

> It doesn't appear that filtering even works! Really frustrating...

> What's amazingly absurd is that I advertised a couple of items for

> sale on Craigslist, and ALL of those messages are coming through just

> fine! "clutter up my mailbox, indeed"....

> What a crock.

> Jack

Yeah, I tried to get server side filtering going on Gmail, and to no

avail. *It doesn't seem to support filtering, only "labeling". *The best

I've ever done is filter using Thunderbird, but then I have to maintain

two configs, which is pretty frustrating.
The really stupid part is that I set up a filter with the From address as ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com, and the action to take as "Never Spam"... and it still doesn't work. I go to Google Mail and their resolution is "something's wrong with THEIR mail server settings. Unbelievable! If the only mail I can't get is MY OWN, then how is it possible that the Ubu mail server is the problem ?

Jack