Old 08-11-2008, 06:19 PM
"Steve C. Lamb"

Default List entries - gmail

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 02:12:32PM -0400, Verde Denim wrote:
> Unbelievable! If the only mail I can't get is MY OWN, then how is it
> possible that the Ubu mail server is the problem ?

Simple, your mailing list profile is set to not send your own messages
back to you.

Log in, check the status of this option:

Receive your own posts to the list?

Ordinarily, you will get a copy of every message you post to the list. If you
don't want to receive this copy, set this option to No.

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:35 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Steve C. Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 02:12:32PM -0400, Verde Denim wrote:

> Unbelievable! If the only mail I can't get is MY OWN, then how is it

> possible that the Ubu mail server is the problem ?

* *Simple, your mailing list profile is set to not send your own messages

back to you.

* *Log in, check the status of this option:

Receive your own posts to the list?

Ordinarily, you will get a copy of every message you post to the list. If you

don't want to receive this copy, set this option to No.
Steve -
Nice try. I just checked my ubuntu mailing list optioins, and that option is set to 'Yes'...
I appreciate the response, though.

The only interesting thing I find in looking at the mail header for messages on the list is this:

Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 91.189.94.204 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com) client-ip=91.189.94.204;

Jack

Old 08-11-2008, 06:52 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak@knm.org.pl> wrote:

2008/8/11 Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com>:

> The really stupid part is that I set up a filter with the From address as

> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com, and the action to take as "Never Spam"... and

> it still doesn't work.

Is it marked as spam? If not, it does work.
The messages that I do get from the list come to the Inbox, so they are not marked as Spam.

> If the only mail I can't get is MY OWN,

You don't get an additional copy because you already have the copy

that you have sent. In the web interface it is inserted in the thread

it is a part of. It can indeed be confusing if you access it via POP3.
Of course, it's in the Sent box. But, if that were the logic behind it, why could I set an option on the Ubuntu mailing list to 'have a copy of my messages sent to me'... ?

If I post a message to the list, it doesn't show up in my Inbox..
If I reply to a message on the list that has not first been sent to both the list & me, it doesn't show up in my Inbox.

--

Marcin Kowalczyk

qrczak@knm.org.pl

http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/

Old 08-11-2008, 07:46 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak@knm.org.pl> wrote:

2008/8/11 Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com>:

> The messages that I do get from the list come to the Inbox, so they are not

> marked as Spam.

The messages you send are not marked as spam either. You don't see

them because you have already seen them when you wrote them.

>> You don't get an additional copy because you already have the copy

>> that you have sent. In the web interface it is inserted in the thread

>> it is a part of. It can indeed be confusing if you access it via POP3.

> Of course, it's in the Sent box. But, if that were the logic behind it, why

> could I set an option on the Ubuntu mailing list to 'have a copy of my

> messages sent to me'... ?

This setting applies to other providers than Gmail, which use a different logic.

The Gmail logic is that messages are not put in separate folders. What

looks like folders are really different views of the single set of all

messages, or rather of conversations (threads) which contain messages.

The same conversation and thus the same messages may appear in

different views. For example a message you have sent to a mailing list

appears both under the label of the mailing list (if you use labels

for that) and among messages that you have sent. There is no need to

have two copies of that message.

This is different from the traditional Unix approach to mail, where

each message may appear only in one folder, and thus it is typical to

have one copy as the sent one and another as the received one. The

confusion arises only where the two worlds meet, i.e. when you access

Gmail via POP3, and it does not offer copies messages that have been

already sent through it.

Marcin
Ok. I'll grant that having multiple copies of emails is overkill, so I'd be willing to live with the fact that, if I send a message to anyone, it will not show up in the Inbox (which is the way every mail client i've ever seen actually works). BUT, If I reply to a message on the Ubuntu list which has not previously been sent to BOTH the list AND me personally, I don't see these replies. I've replied to probably a dozen or more threads in the last few days (not my own), and my replies dont' show up, either. So, in context of those on the list, I'm not contributing anything to the community - just asking questions...

I am currently only accessing the list via the gmail web interface - I'm not sure which protocol that is using. If you can shed some light on this, maybe it's a way to resolving this.

Jack

--

Marcin Kowalczyk

qrczak@knm.org.pl

http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/

Old 08-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Leo Cacciari

Il giorno lun, 11/08/2008 alle 18.24 +0200, Bas Roufs ha scritto:
> > ...gmail does it. They even say that somewhere, they do this «to avoid cluttering your mailbox» (!). Your messages are in your _sent_ folder.
> >

> Another interesting suggestion for a provisional solution that does not
> solve the core issue.
> The only thing I really want in this context is GMAIL to give me an
> option to 'clutter my e-mail box' with my own contributions. So far I
> did not manage to find such an option.

Well, you can't. That's all. There is no such option. The guys at gmail
knows better than you, or so they think.

Enjoy

--
Leo Cacciari

Old 08-11-2008, 11:49 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak@knm.org.pl> wrote:

2008/8/11 Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com>:

> BUT, If I reply to a message on the Ubuntu list which has

> not previously been sent to BOTH the list AND me personally, I don't see

> these replies.

You should see the messages that you sent; Gmail throws out copies of

these messages because it already shows them from the moment you send

them. For example this very thread has 19 messages: 9 yours, 4 mine

(including this one), and 6 from others. How many messages do you see?
So far this month - unless someone replies to a thread I send with both me and the list in the "to" address, I don't see it at all. The reason you see my replies here is because the message the message was addressed to me as well as the list, and my text was quoted in the replies.

*

> I've replied to probably a dozen or more threads in the last

> few days (not my own), and my replies dont' show up, either.

I see your messages in 13 threads of this list in August and 4 in July

(could be more in July, but I subscribed in July so I can't look

further).
I've initiated about 9 threads of my own in August, responded to about a dozen other peoples' posts, and replied at least once to all of my own.
*

--

Marcin Kowalczyk

qrczak@knm.org.pl

http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/

Old 08-15-2008, 01:28 AM
Rich Renomeron

Leo Cacciari wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 11/08/2008 alle 11.35 -0400, Verde Denim ha scritto:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> Hello everybody
>> > Is there a way to get my list entries/responses to show up
>> on the list?
>> [snip]
> This comes out every once in a while. Yes, someone is blocking you from
> seeing your posts. gmail does it. They even say that somewhere, they do
> this «to avoid cluttering your mailbox» (!). Your messages are in your
> _sent_ folder.

If you create a filter with the web interface that applies a label to
all messages that contain the words "ubuntu-users.lists.ubuntu.com", all
messages from the list, including those that you send, will appear when
you view that label (with the web interface) or that folder (with IMAP).

Your messages will not have the "Ubuntu Users Mailing List" information
at the bottom of the message, but that should not be an issue.

Rich

--
From the Notebook of Rich Renomeron
Can you be a closet claustrophobic?