Old 08-11-2008, 01:05 PM
"Verde Denim"

Default Cause for Concern?

I started the upgrade to 8.04LTS last evening around 11PM local time. It is now 9AM local time, and the upgrade is sitting at
"Installing new version of config file /etc/belocs/iso-639.def"

looking in the process status list, the /usr/bin/dpkg --force-overwrite -convfigure... is running with the long list of packages for the upgrade, but there is an additional process that (I believe) is the culprit
root 23710 1 0 Aug10 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/acpid -c /etc/acpi/events -s /var/run/acpid.socket

Is there a way to get the upgrade to resume by killing that last process?

Jack

Old 08-11-2008, 06:14 PM
"Arthur H. Johnson II"

Verde Denim wrote:
> I started the upgrade to 8.04LTS last evening around 11PM local time.
> It is now 9AM local time, and the upgrade is sitting at
> "Installing new version of config file /etc/belocs/iso-639.def"
>
> looking in the process status list, the /usr/bin/dpkg
> --force-overwrite -convfigure... is running with the long list of
> packages for the upgrade, but there is an additional process that (I
> believe) is the culprit
> root 23710 1 0 Aug10 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/acpid -c /etc/acpi/events -s
> /var/run/acpid.socket
>
> Is there a way to get the upgrade to resume by killing that last process?
>
> Jack

I had this exact problem upgrading the most vanilla machine on my
network. Straight install with nothing changed. Upgraded from 7.10 to
8.04.1 and it hung on the locales.

My solution was to simply kill the hung process, carful not to kill the
upgrade utility. Let the machine reboot, then run dpkg --configure -a
after its done rebooting. It will finish configuring the packages then.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:11 PM
NoOp

On 08/11/2008 06:05 AM, Verde Denim wrote:
> I started the upgrade to 8.04LTS last evening around 11PM local time. It is
> now 9AM local time, and the upgrade is sitting at
> "Installing new version of config file /etc/belocs/iso-639.def"
>
> looking in the process status list, the /usr/bin/dpkg --force-overwrite
> -convfigure... is running with the long list of packages for the upgrade,
> but there is an additional process that (I believe) is the culprit
> root 23710 1 0 Aug10 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/acpid -c /etc/acpi/events -s
> /var/run/acpid.socket
>
> Is there a way to get the upgrade to resume by killing that last process?
>
> Jack

It's a bug. See here for workarounds:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/249340