Old 08-11-2008, 12:41 AM
"Chris Mohler"

Default What backup software?

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am looking for a disk backup software that can backup any partition to
> an image and restore it at a later time.
> What backup software would you recommend?
> Many thanks,
> Christian

I've always just used dd:

dd if=/dev/sdaX of=/path/to/file.img

will copy from partition to image, where "X" is a partition number on
sda. Then:

dd if=/path/to/file.img of=/dev/sdaX

will copy from the image to partition - the target partition should
be the same size as the original...

There's probably a GUI out there that would do this... anyone?

Chris

Old 08-11-2008, 12:47 AM

g4l (ghost4linux) or sysimager

On 8/11/08, Mario Xerxes Casteln Castro <mariocastelancastro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Christian escribi:
>> Hi all,
>> I am looking for a disk backup software that can backup any partition to
>> an image and restore it at a later time.
>> What backup software would you recommend?
>> Many thanks,
>> Christian
>>

> Most applications to burn CD'sor DVD's can create a .iso form a disk

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 19:41 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I am looking for a disk backup software that can backup any partition to
> > an image and restore it at a later time.
> > What backup software would you recommend?
> > Many thanks,
> > Christian
>
> I've always just used dd:
>
> dd if=/dev/sdaX of=/path/to/file.img
>
> will copy from partition to image, where "X" is a partition number on
> sda. Then:
>
> dd if=/path/to/file.img of=/dev/sdaX

This is not generally a good idea. If your disk has bad sectors which
are mapped out by the filesystem, then the dd will hang. It is better to
do backups at the filesystem level and not at the disk level.

I do near line backups with rsync to a network server and keep
incremental copies of the filesystems using glastree which is a Perl
implementaion of pdumpfs. For more traditional backups, you could use
the BSD dump/restore utilities.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 08-11-2008, 03:55 AM
Rashkae

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 19:41 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I am looking for a disk backup software that can backup any partition to
>>> an image and restore it at a later time.
>>> What backup software would you recommend?
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Christian
>> I've always just used dd:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/sdaX of=/path/to/file.img
>>
>> will copy from partition to image, where "X" is a partition number on
>> sda. Then:
>>
>> dd if=/path/to/file.img of=/dev/sdaX
>
> This is not generally a good idea. If your disk has bad sectors which
> are mapped out by the filesystem, then the dd will hang. It is better to
> do backups at the filesystem level and not at the disk level.

I agree that dd isn't the best solution if a filesystem backup utility
exists. However, if your drive has OS visible bad sectors, it's time
for a new HD. (Modern drives should themselves re-map bad sectors..
this is no longer something the FS should do unless things are really,
*really* bad.)

Old 08-11-2008, 07:50 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/8/11 Smoot Carl-Mitchell <smoot@tic.com>:
> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 19:41 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > I am looking for a disk backup software that can backup any partition to
>> > an image and restore it at a later time.
>> > What backup software would you recommend?
>> > Many thanks,
>> > Christian
>>
>> I've always just used dd:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/sdaX of=/path/to/file.img
>>
>> will copy from partition to image, where "X" is a partition number on
>> sda. Then:
>>
>> dd if=/path/to/file.img of=/dev/sdaX
>
> This is not generally a good idea. If your disk has bad sectors which
> are mapped out by the filesystem, then the dd will hang. It is better to
> do backups at the filesystem level and not at the disk level.
>
> I do near line backups with rsync to a network server and keep
> incremental copies of the filesystems using glastree which is a Perl
> implementaion of pdumpfs. For more traditional backups, you could use
> the BSD dump/restore utilities.
> --

+1 for rsync. I also recommend the occasional cp of the data being
backed up, for a "time machine" to go back to.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 08-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Gilles Gravier

Title: Signature Home Chastity

What I do is I have to external USB disks (labled A and B) of the same
capacity of my internal disk.

Every odd month, I format the A disk and "cp -a" my machine to the disk.

Every even month, I format the B disk and "cp -a" my machine to the
disk.

I store the latest backup disk in a drawer in my office... and the
oldest at home.

I don't keep the disks plugged in the system. That way there is less
wear, and no risk of a virus erasing the disk.

Disks are cheap these days. USB boxen also. And cp -a is done during
the night so I don't bother myself waiting...

Gilles.

Dotan Cohen wrote:

[...]

Gilles Gravier = Gilles@Gravier.org

ICQ : 77488526* || MSN Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org

Skype :*ggravier || Y! : ggravier || AOL : gillesgravier

PGP Key ID : 0x8DE6D026

"Chastity
is its own punishment." (Solomon Short)
[David Gerrold]

"De toutes les
aberrations sexuelles, la chastet est la plus aberrante." [Anatole France]

Old 08-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Florian Diesch

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/8/11 Smoot Carl-Mitchell <smoot@tic.com>:
>>>
>>> I've always just used dd:
>>>
>>> dd if=/dev/sdaX of=/path/to/file.img
>>>
>>> will copy from partition to image, where "X" is a partition number on
>>> sda. Then:
>>>
>>> dd if=/path/to/file.img of=/dev/sdaX
>>
>> This is not generally a good idea. If your disk has bad sectors which
>> are mapped out by the filesystem, then the dd will hang. It is better to
>> do backups at the filesystem level and not at the disk level.
>>
>> I do near line backups with rsync to a network server and keep
>> incremental copies of the filesystems using glastree which is a Perl
>> implementaion of pdumpfs. For more traditional backups, you could use
>> the BSD dump/restore utilities.
>> --
>
> +1 for rsync. I also recommend the occasional cp of the data being
> backed up, for a "time machine" to go back to.

For a "time machine" rdiff-backup is quite nice.
rsync-backup -r 2008-05-14 /your/backup-dir/some/file some_file
get you some/file as it has been on the given date.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 08-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Karl Larsen

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 19:41 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I am looking for a disk backup software that can backup any partition to
>>> an image and restore it at a later time.
>>> What backup software would you recommend?
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Christian
>>>
>> I've always just used dd:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/sdaX of=/path/to/file.img
>>
>> will copy from partition to image, where "X" is a partition number on
>> sda. Then:
>>
>> dd if=/path/to/file.img of=/dev/sdaX
>>

> This is not generally a good idea. If your disk has bad sectors which
> are mapped out by the filesystem, then the dd will hang. It is better to
> do backups at the filesystem level and not at the disk level.
>
> I do near line backups with rsync to a network server and keep
> incremental copies of the filesystems using glastree which is a Perl
> implementaion of pdumpfs. For more traditional backups, you could use
> the BSD dump/restore utilities.

I use rsync for a manual backup every so often on my Hardy. The
system is an external 30 GB HD in a plastic case connected to my
computer via a USB port. I format the HD with ext3 and it mounts on my
computer at /media/disk/. As a root user I start rsync from a file. Here
is my file:

# This goes to the USB hard drive
rsync -vaH --exclude '/proc' --exclude 'sys' --exclude '/mnt' --exclude
'/media' /. /media/disk

A problem with rsync is every ' is critical. Notice --exclude 'sys'
tells rsync to not backup the /sys directory.

It works fast and I have recovered from the portable HD. It is perfect.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am looking for a disk backup software that can backup any partition to
>> an image and restore it at a later time.
>> What backup software would you recommend?
>> Many thanks,
>> Christian
>
> I've always just used dd:
>
> dd if=/dev/sdaX of=/path/to/file.img
>
> will copy from partition to image, where "X" is a partition number on
> sda. Then:
>
> dd if=/path/to/file.img of=/dev/sdaX
>
> will copy from the image to partition - the target partition should
> be the same size as the original...
>
> There's probably a GUI out there that would do this... anyone?

I use partimage, which I think uses DD in the background for part of the
process. Plus it compresses the image, while dd won't unless you pipe
through a compressor.

It's a console application but it is graphical (using ncurses? I don't
know, but you'd get the idea)...graphical but navigated via keyboard.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Young

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partimage