Old 08-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Karl Larsen

Default What backup software?

Marcin ‘Qrczak’ Kowalczyk wrote:
> 2008/8/11 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:
>

>> rsync -vaH --exclude '/proc' --exclude 'sys' --exclude '/mnt' --exclude
>> '/media' /. /media/disk
>>
>> A problem with rsync is every ' is critical.
>>

> They are not. For the shell '/proc' and /proc are the same, rsync sees
> the same argument in either case. It is not able to distinguish them
> even if it wanted to.

Maybe not for you, but it didn't work for me until I used '. I can fool
around but what I have now works, and it is backed up.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 10:50 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/8/11 Smoot Carl-Mitchell <smoot@tic.com>:

> +1 for rsync. I also recommend the occasional cp of the data being
> backed up, for a "time machine" to go back to.

That is what pdumpfs or glastree does. I run it so I have a daily
snapshot of my filesystems. I can browse the tree and recover files at
any point in time.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 08-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Oliver Devoogdt

Christian schreef:
> Hi all,
> I am looking for a disk backup software that can backup any partition to
> an image and restore it at a later time.
> What backup software would you recommend?
> Many thanks,
> Christian

A very good system recovery tool is mondo rescue:
It creates iso's that you can boot from and restore your system, a great
tool !
http://www.mondorescue.org/
Only disadvantage, no ubuntu/debian packages yet.

Oliver

Old 08-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> I use partimage, which I think uses DD in the background for part of the
> process. Plus it compresses the image, while dd won't unless you pipe
> through a compressor.

I looked at the partimage docs and they talk about supporting ext2 file
systems. Does anyone know if thry support ext3?

The docs also say they won't restore correctly to a smaller
disk/partition. I assume that doesn't matter if you're restoring to the
same disk the backup was made from. True?

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped

Old 08-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 09:42 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
> > I use partimage, which I think uses DD in the background for part of the
> > process. Plus it compresses the image, while dd won't unless you pipe
> > through a compressor.
>
> I looked at the partimage docs and they talk about supporting ext2 file
> systems. Does anyone know if thry support ext3?

ext3 is just ext2 with journaling. The underlying filesystem structure
is identical, so you should be fine.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 08-11-2008, 06:42 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

2008/8/11 Christian <christian08@runbox.com>

Hi all,

I am looking for a disk backup software that can backup any partition to

an image and restore it at a later time.

What backup software would you recommend?

*Many thanks,

ChristianI wrote a simple script for this. The script use rsync with some parameters and also writes to a log file what is being done and when. The script also makes sure the log file doesn't grow too much.
My script is very very simple, it doesn't even check whether the log files exist or not, so there will be a few error messages the first time the script runs, but I don't care. I know what it's all about and no one else is supposed to use it anyway, so I don't need it to be user friendly… ☺
J.R.*

Old 08-11-2008, 08:26 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/8/11 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> I wrote a simple script for this. The script use rsync with some parameters
> and also writes to a log file what is being done and when. The script also
> makes sure the log file doesn't grow too much.
> My script is very very simple, it doesn't even check whether the log files
> exist or not, so there will be a few error messages the first time the
> script runs, but I don't care. I know what it's all about and no one else is
> supposed to use it anyway, so I don't need it to be user friendly… ☺
> J.R.

Post the script. It will help some people, and others might point out
where it can be improved.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 08-12-2008, 06:26 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

2008/8/11 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>

2008/8/11 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:

> I wrote a simple script for this. The script use rsync with some parameters

> and also writes to a log file what is being done and when. The script also

> makes sure the log file doesn't grow too much.

> My script is very very simple, it doesn't even check whether the log files

> exist or not, so there will be a few error messages the first time the

> script runs, but I don't care. I know what it's all about and no one else is

> supposed to use it anyway, so I don't need it to be user friendly… ☺

> J.R.

Post the script. It will help some people, and others might point out

where it can be improved.

--

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com

http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

I thought the script is just too simple and too specific for me (other people have other search paths and my script is written for my specific needs, which makes it very unflexible). What I did was to just collect the commands I would otherwise enter manually in the terminal.

But of course I can post it if anyone is interested. Right now I am on a different computer, however, and I don't have a local network at the moment (working on it).

J.R.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:49 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Oliver Devoogdt <oliver@oliware.be> wrote:
> Christian schreef:
>> Hi all,
>> I am looking for a disk backup software that can backup any partition to
>> an image and restore it at a later time.
>> What backup software would you recommend?
>> Many thanks,
>> Christian
>>

> A very good system recovery tool is mondo rescue:
> It creates iso's that you can boot from and restore your system, a great
> tool !
> http://www.mondorescue.org/
> Only disadvantage, no ubuntu/debian packages yet.

mondo is in the universe repositories.
If you do decide to use it, consider installing it from upstream
rather than using the packages in the repository which I've had issues
with. Also be sure to pin the package if you install it that way so
the ubuntu packages (which are numbered differently) don't overwrite
it on your next update.

Brian

Old 08-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Jorge Luis

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, Brian McKee wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Oliver Devoogdt <oliver@oliware.be> wrote:
> > Christian schreef:
> >> Hi all,
> >> I am looking for a disk backup software that can backup any partition to
> >> an image and restore it at a later time.
> >> What backup software would you recommend?
> >> Many thanks,
> >> Christian
> >>

> > A very good system recovery tool is mondo rescue:
> > It creates iso's that you can boot from and restore your system, a great
> > tool !
> > http://www.mondorescue.org/
> > Only disadvantage, no ubuntu/debian packages yet.
>
> mondo is in the universe repositories.
> If you do decide to use it, consider installing it from upstream
> rather than using the packages in the repository which I've had issues
> with. Also be sure to pin the package if you install it that way so
> the ubuntu packages (which are numbered differently) don't overwrite
> it on your next update.
>
> Brian

Unless you need the bootable iso function of mondo, you might also
consider dirvish, which is under active development and uses rsync with
hard links to reduce the size of successive backups. It will back up
across a network using ssh. I've been using dirvish for three years to
good effect.

Good luck,

JL

--