Old 08-10-2008, 10:33 PM
"nathan bahn"

Default Still Trying to Install a Zonet ZEW1603 Wireless 802.11g N.I.C.

Hello everyone--

When I go to "Applications" --> "System Tools" --> "Configure Network Card" I get the following message:

"Unable to start the network configuration tool.* Please setup Sudo first!"

Does anyone know precisely what this is referring to?* I don't have a clue.

--N.B.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:06 AM
NoOp

On 08/10/2008 03:33 PM, nathan bahn wrote:
> Hello everyone--
>
> When I go to *"Applications"* --> *"System Tools"* --> *"Configure
> Network
>>>

> *"Unable to start the network configuration tool. Please setup Sudo
> first!" *
>
> Does anyone know precisely what this is referring to? I don't have a
> clue.
>
> --N.B.

Please use the terminal: Applications|Accessories|Terminal (in fact
right-click that application and put it on your panel, you will need it
in the future as well) and provide the output of:

cat /etc/hosts

Some installations screwed up /etc/hosts by putting a workgroup name in
127.0.1.1 in the file, example:

$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost <username>.<hostname/workgroupname>
127.0.1.1 <username>.<hostname/workgroupname>

it should be:

$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost <username>.<host/workgroupname>
127.0.1.1 <username>

If it is the same as the example (127.0.1.1
<username>.<hostname/workgroupname>) modify it using:

gksu gedit /etc/hosts

then save & reboot. Sudo should work then.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:19 AM
"nathan bahn"

--

Hello NoOp,

This is what I get:

*bill@bill-desktop:~$ cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 bill-desktop

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet

ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
bill@bill-desktop:~$

Will typing:*

gktsu gedit /etc/hosts

resolve the issue?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:43 AM
NoOp

On 08/10/2008 06:19 PM, nathan bahn wrote:

> Hello NoOp,
>
> This is what I get:
>
> bill@bill-desktop:~$ cat /etc/hosts
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>> 127.0.1.1 bill-desktop
>>
>> # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
>> ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
>> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
>> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
>> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
>> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
>> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
>> bill@bill-desktop:~$
>>

> Will typing:
>
> *gktsu gedit /etc/hosts*
>
> resolve the issue?

Probably not given that your hosts file looks OK.
[BTW: it's gksu gedit /etc/hosts]

It sounds as if you have another issue with sudo. What version of Ubuntu
(Gnome/kubuntu) and kernel are you running (terminal: uname -r)?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:52 AM
"nathan bahn"

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 9:43 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 08/10/2008 06:19 PM, nathan bahn wrote:

> Hello NoOp,

> This is what I get:

> *bill@bill-desktop:~$ cat /etc/hosts

>> 127.0.0.1 localhost

>> 127.0.1.1 bill-desktop

>> # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts

>> ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

>> fe00::0 ip6-localnet

>> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix

>> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes

>> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

>> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

>> bill@bill-desktop:~$

> Will typing:

> *gktsu gedit /etc/hosts*

> resolve the issue?

Probably not given that your hosts file looks OK.

[BTW: it's gksu gedit /etc/hosts]

It sounds as if you have another issue with sudo. What version of Ubuntu

(Gnome/kubuntu) and kernel are you running (terminal: uname -r)?

--

The version that I'm using is Ubuntu 8.04 -- the Hardy Heron.* I don't know it this answers your question.
--N.B.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- nathan bahn <nathan.bahn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone--
>
> When I go to *"Applications"* --> *"System Tools"*
> --> *"Configure Network
> >>

> *"Unable to start the network configuration tool.
> Please setup Sudo first!"
> *
>
> Does anyone know precisely what this is referring
> to? I don't have a clue.
>
>Hey Nathan,
Ubuntu should come already setup for sudo as it it the
default way to get root access. I don't know why it
didn't and can't tell you how to do it as I've never
had a cause to do it. However, I'll bet if you google
for "setting up sudo in ubuntu" you will easily find
you answer. Probably don't even need to do that
instead try "man sudo" to see if you answer is there.
Sorry, if I knew the exact procedure I would tell you
but I don't.
HTH,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-11-2008, 03:29 AM
NoOp

On 08/10/2008 06:52 PM, nathan bahn wrote:

> The version that I'm using is Ubuntu 8.04 -- the Hardy Heron. I don't know
> it this answers your question.
> --N.B.

The reason for asking to check the /etc/hosts file was due to this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/sudo/+bug/32906
[ sudo fails if it cannot resolve the local hostname and no MTA is
installed]

So I thought that may have been the issue. On second thought; can you go
ahead and:

gksu gedit /etc/hosts

and change the following lines to:

127.0.0.1 localhost bill-desktop
127.0.1.1 bill-desktop

save the file. Then reboot.

Qeustions: were you able to 'sudo' previously, and if so what have you
changed since then - updates, new packages/programs/network configs, etc.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:07 AM
"nathan bahn"

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 11:29 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 08/10/2008 06:52 PM, nathan bahn wrote:

> The version that I'm using is Ubuntu 8.04 -- the Hardy Heron. *I don't know

> it this answers your question.

> --N.B.

The reason for asking to check the /etc/hosts file was due to this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/sudo/+bug/32906

[ sudo fails if it cannot resolve the local hostname and no MTA is

installed]

So I thought that may have been the issue. On second thought; can you go

ahead and:

gksu gedit /etc/hosts

and change the following lines to:

127.0.0.1 localhost bill-desktop

127.0.1.1 bill-desktop

save the file. Then reboot.

Qeustions: were you able to 'sudo' previously, and if so what have you

changed since then - updates, new packages/programs/network configs, etc.

--

NoOp--

I did as you suggested, but no dice -- I got the same message about sudo needing to be set up.* As to your questions, I cannot remember; please remember that this is all very new to me.* I do recall entering some commands from a website, but I do not recall the name of the website (much less the actual commands that I entered).* I am thinking that I should do a clean install on the hard drive.

--N.B.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 PM
NoOp

On 08/10/2008 09:07 PM, nathan bahn wrote:

> NoOp--
>
> I did as you suggested, but no dice -- I got the same message about sudo
> needing to be set up. As to your questions, I cannot remember; please
> remember that this is all very new to me. I do recall entering some
> commands from a website, but I do not recall the name of the website (much
> less the actual commands that I entered). I am thinking that I should do a
> clean install on the hard drive.
>
> --N.B.

Before you do that, have a look through here first and see if that helps:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/fixsudo