Old 08-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Grant Edwards

Default How to install emacs on Kubuntu

I just installed Kubuntu 8.04.1 in order to test some drivers
and apps I maintain, and I'm a little baffled how to install
emacs, or Jed, or svn, or any of several other tools I need
which don't seem to be on the CD.

I've messed about with "Adept Installer" which launches from
the Add/Remove Programs menu entry, but it seems only able to
remove apps not add them. IOW, the only packages it knows about
are the ones that are already installed, and it says there are
no packages available for installation. I have 905 packages
installed out of 905 available.

Then I tried the "Adept Manager" from the system menu. It also
shows no uninstalled packages. The "Fetch Updates" button does
nothing. I tried the Help/Adept-Handbook menu entry in Adept,
and it says there is do document available.

Adept's Help/Get-help-only menu entry causes a series of about
6 DCOP and Konqueror error dialogs to popup.

Konqueror doesn't seem to have any problems accessing sites, so
I'm confident that networking is set up correctly.

I've so far resisted the temptation to fire up a root shell and
start editing /etc/* and typing apt-get and/or dpkg commands.
In the past when I've done that on Ubuntu systems I've been
roundly scolded for not using the pointy-clicky system
administration utilities like I'm supposed to.

Google has found me several tutorials that all basically tell
me to:

1) Mouse to K/System/Adept

2) Type the program name in the "search" box

3) Click on one of the packages that is found and check
"request install"

The problem is that Adept can't seem to find anything that
isn't already installed.

What am I doing wrong?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Was my SOY LOAF left
at out in th'RAIN? It tastes

Old 08-11-2008, 03:10 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:

> I just installed Kubuntu 8.04.1 in order to test
> some drivers
> and apps I maintain, and I'm a little baffled how to
> install
> emacs, or Jed, or svn, or any of several other tools
> I need
> which don't seem to be on the CD.
>
> I've messed about with "Adept Installer" which
> launches from
> the Add/Remove Programs menu entry, but it seems
> only able to
> remove apps not add them. IOW, the only packages it
> knows about
> are the ones that are already installed, and it says
> there are
> no packages available for installation. I have 905
> packages
> installed out of 905 available.
>
> Then I tried the "Adept Manager" from the system
> menu. It also
> shows no uninstalled packages. The "Fetch Updates"
> button does
> nothing. I tried the Help/Adept-Handbook menu entry
> in Adept,
> and it says there is do document available.
>
> Adept's Help/Get-help-only menu entry causes a
> series of about
> 6 DCOP and Konqueror error dialogs to popup.
>
> Konqueror doesn't seem to have any problems
> accessing sites, so
> I'm confident that networking is set up correctly.
>
> I've so far resisted the temptation to fire up a
> root shell and
> start editing /etc/* and typing apt-get and/or dpkg
> commands.
> In the past when I've done that on Ubuntu systems
> I've been
> roundly scolded for not using the pointy-clicky
> system
> administration utilities like I'm supposed to.
>
> Google has found me several tutorials that all
> basically tell
> me to:
>
> 1) Mouse to K/System/Adept
>
> 2) Type the program name in the "search" box
>
> 3) Click on one of the packages that is found and
> check
> "request install"
>
> The problem is that Adept can't seem to find
> anything that
> isn't already installed.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Hey Grant, I'm certainly not expert but it sounds to
me that you don't have /etc/apt/sources list set up on
your pc which should have been set up on the install
unless you missed it or clicked the wrong button
during install. First check the file
/etc/apt/sources.list and I'll bet it just has entries
for the CD. If that's the case, you can copy or
download a ubuntu sources.list by googling for "ubuntu
hardy sources.list" or similar and copy it to your
/etc/apt/sources.list file. There's also a gui in the
K menu probably with "sources" in the menu name that
will allow you to activate the various sources. You
must be first time user or you would probably know all
this. I'd give you the exact K menu process but I'm on
a wubu install of pure ubuntu in a window OS.
However, it should be under Kmenu->system->software
sources where you can activate all the sources. You
can also activate the sources using synaptic package
manager and also using adept package manager if memory
serve me correctly.
What I don't know is if the programs you need are in
the usual repositories but thank you for your work.
I'd activate all the repos you can, do an update and
then search for you programs. If they are in the
repos you'll find them. Try using synaptic to do all
this first try and good luck. Just launch synaptic
package manager, type in your passwork, and when it
loads click on settings then repositories and a a
popup will open with several tabs. Just activate
everything, then update, then search for what you
want.
HTH,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-11-2008, 04:00 AM
"Venkata krishna Nimmagadda"

Hi Grant,

What could be the problem----
When during installation, it asks for downloading packages from internet after asking your permission. If you skipped it while installation, then it changes the file /etc/apt/sources.list by commenting all the sources on internet because it could not verify them. So after install when you use "sudo apt-get install emacs " on terminal or used package manager, it only looks in the CD rom as the list of internet sources was blocked.

What you need to do----
just open the /etc/apt/sources.list and wherever you find a website address, remove # from the starting of the line. Save it (for saving it needs permissions so better run "sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list"). Then try "sudo apt-get install emacs ". it will automatically install emacs from the repository.

I hope this helped

Old 08-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-08-11, Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Hey Grant, I'm certainly not expert but it sounds to
> me that you don't have /etc/apt/sources list set up on
> your pc which should have been set up on the install
> unless you missed it or clicked the wrong button
> during install. First check the file
> /etc/apt/sources.list and I'll bet it just has entries
> for the CD.

Looks OK to me:

----------------------/etc/apt/sources.list----------------------
# deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080701.2)]/ hardy main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository. This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is
## offered by Canonical and the respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu
## users.
# deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner
# deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security universe
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security multiverse
----------------------/etc/apt/sources.list----------------------

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! ... I want FORTY-TWO
at TRYNEL FLOATATION SYSTEMS

Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-08-11, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
> On 2008-08-11, Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Hey Grant, I'm certainly not expert but it sounds to
>> me that you don't have /etc/apt/sources list set up on
>> your pc which should have been set up on the install
>> unless you missed it or clicked the wrong button
>> during install. First check the file
>> /etc/apt/sources.list and I'll bet it just has entries
>> for the CD.
>
> Looks OK to me:
>

> ----------------------/etc/apt/sources.list----------------------
> # deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080701.2)]/ hardy main restricted
> # See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
> # newer versions of the distribution.
>
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted
> deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted
>
> ## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
> ## distribution.
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
> deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
[...]

Dare I try an "apt-get update" from the command line?

In the past when I've done stuff like that to try to get an
Ubuntu install up and running I've always been caned for not
using GUI like you're supposed to...

I also can't seem to figure out how to enable sshd using the
"services" GUI thingy. Is sshd not included on the CD?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! A dwarf is passing out
at somewhere in Detroit!

Old 08-11-2008, 04:59 PM
"Raphael Yves Sabbat"

On 2008-08-11, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:

> On 2008-08-11, Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Hey Grant, I'm certainly not expert but it sounds to

>> me that you don't have /etc/apt/sources list set up on

>> your pc which should have been set up on the install

>> unless you missed it or clicked the wrong button

>> during install. First check the file

>> /etc/apt/sources.list and I'll bet it just has entries

>> for *the CD.

> Looks OK to me:

> ----------------------/etc/apt/sources.list----------------------

> # deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080701.2)]/ hardy main restricted

> # See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to

> # newer versions of the distribution.

> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted

> deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted

> ## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the

> ## distribution.

> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted

> deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted

[...]

Dare I try an "apt-get update" from the command line?

In the past when I've done stuff like that to try to get an

Ubuntu install up and running I've always been caned for not

using GUI like you're supposed to...

I also can't seem to figure out how to enable sshd using the

"services" GUI thingy. *Is sshd not included on the CD?

--

Grant Edwards * * * * * * * * * grante * * * * * * Yow! A dwarf is passing out

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *at * * * * * * * somewhere in Detroit!

sshd is included but not necessarily installed by default
run the add/remove GUI app and search for openssh
otherwise just use apt-get install openssh

Old 08-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:

> On 2008-08-11, Leonard Chatagnier
> <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > Hey Grant, I'm certainly not expert but it sounds
> > me that you don't have /etc/apt/sources list set
> up on
> > your pc which should have been set up on the
> install
> > unless you missed it or clicked the wrong button
> > during install. First check the file
> > /etc/apt/sources.list and I'll bet it just has
> entries
> > for the CD.
>
> Looks OK to me:

Well, it's not fully activated; you still have some
items(repositories) commented out so they wont be
checked.
Backports and Canonical are notable. Suggest you
uncomment all listings, then do "sudo aptitude update"
followed by "aptitude search emacs". If you find
nothing, it's not in the listed repos and you may have
to google for it. I did an apt show on emacs and it's
there:

lchata@ubuntu-hardy-64bit:~$ aptitude show emacs
Package: emacs
State: not installed
Version: 22.1-0ubuntu10.1
GNU Emacs is the extensible self-documenting text
editor. This is a metapackage which will always depend
on the latest Emacs release.

lchata@ubuntu-hardy-64bit:~$

I'm assuming you are familiar with the command line
and use of apt-get/aptitude. You can also use the GUI
that I mentioned in my first reply. Btw, did you
activate the sources list as I suggested(i could be
getting this mixed up with another reply but it
applies in this case as well). If you have any doubts
how to use apt or the package manager GUI's you should
make it known in your posts so the proper help can be
give. Emacs is in the repos.

----------------------/etc/apt/sources.list----------------------

> --
> Grant Edwards grante
> Yow! ... I want FORTY-TWO
> at
> TRYNEL FLOATATION SYSTEMS
> visi.com
> installed within SIX AND A
>
> HALF HOURS!!!

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-08-11, Raphael Yves Sabbat <raphsabb@gmail.com> wrote:

> sshd is included but not necessarily installed by default
> run the add/remove GUI app and search for openssh
> otherwise just use apt-get install openssh

# apt-get install openssh
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependancy tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package openssh

This is the original problem that started the thread: there are
no packages available to install.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Boy, am I glad it's
at only 1971...

Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:

> On 2008-08-11, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com>
> wrote:
> > On 2008-08-11, Leonard Chatagnier
> <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Hey Grant, I'm certainly not expert but it sounds
> >> me that you don't have /etc/apt/sources list set
> up on
> >> your pc which should have been set up on the
> install
> >> unless you missed it or clicked the wrong button
> >> during install. First check the file
> >> /etc/apt/sources.list and I'll bet it just has
> entries
> >> for the CD.
> >
> > Looks OK to me:

----------------------/etc/apt/sources.list----------------------
> > # deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ -
> Release i386 (20080701.2)]/ hardy main restricted
> > # See
> http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for
> how to upgrade to
> > # newer versions of the distribution.
> >
> > deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy
> main restricted
> > deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy
> main restricted
> >
> > ## Major bug fix updates produced after the final
> release of the
> > ## distribution.
> > deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
> hardy-updates main restricted
> > deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
> hardy-updates main restricted
> [...]
>
> Dare I try an "apt-get update" from the command
> line?
>
> In the past when I've done stuff like that to try to
> get an
> Ubuntu install up and running I've always been caned
> for not
> using GUI like you're supposed to...

This reply may be out of sequence with my previous
reply as I just now found it.
Use either CLI or GUI whatever you are comfortable
with and know the best(you probably can benefit from
RTFM. Sorry, don't like the acronym but it gets the
point across). The GUI's are just front ends to apt
and dpkg. In any case using either you should update
your package cache first so everything current is
listed. I've actually used all but prefer the
CLI(aptitude) as its faster, IMO. Nobody should can
you for using the CLI, However they may have
suggested(strongly perhaps) to use the GUI if you
showed that you weren't using CLI properly. The
commands have to be exact for what you want to do.

> I also can't seem to figure out how to enable sshd
> using the
> "services" GUI thingy. Is sshd not included on the
> CD?

Can't offer anything here as I don't use it.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-08-11, Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Well, it's not fully activated; you still have some
> items(repositories) commented out so they wont be
> checked.

OK, I checked everything except backports in the adept manager,
and verified that it uncommented the corresponding entries in
/etc/apt/sources.list

> Backports and Canonical are notable. Suggest you
> uncomment all listings, then do "sudo aptitude update"

That hangs while attempting to connect. After killing it, I
tried "download updates" from the "Adept Manager". It also
hung for a while, and then "Adept Manager" crashed.

It appears that aptitude was ignoring the proxy setting I
entered via the network manager. After setting the environment
variable "http_proxy", it looks like aptitude is working from
the command line.

So much for the GUI "manager" stuff...

I guess I'll go back to editing config files and running
aptitude from the command line.

> I'm assuming you are familiar with the command line
> and use of apt-get/aptitude.

Yes. I've been using Debian for many years (often on systems
that don't even have X installed). In the past I've been
chastised for resorting to command line stuff and config file
editing on Ubuntu systems and was told to use the provided GUI
management stuff or else I'd "break my system".

That would be understandable advice if the GUI was sufficient
to actually get a system up and running, but it doesn't seem to
be.

Anyhow, the underlying cause of all this is that configuring a
proxy in the network manager doesn't make apt/aptitude work.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! What's the MATTER
at Sid? ... Is your BEVERAGE