Old 08-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro

Default e2fsck causing apt-get warnings

Santanu Chatterjee escribió:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> Recently I had to run e2fsck on my root partition of my ubuntu 7.10
> system, it corrected
> a number of problems (also probably deleted some blocks in the process I think).
>
> Since then, whenever I apt-get some software, I get a lot of warning
> messages like
> the following:
> dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `libgmime-2.0-2' missing,
> assuming package has no files currently installed.
>
> So far, they have not caused any problems though. Still I would like to fix
> this thing. I tried "apt-get -f install" but that did not help.
>
> Please suggest.
>
> Regards,
> Santanu Chatterjee

Install the 8.04 (Hardy heron)

Old 08-10-2008, 05:41 PM
"Santanu Chatterjee"

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro
<mariocastelancastro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Install the 8.04 (Hardy heron)

:-)
Well, I would love to, but currently on this machine I am talking
about, that is not an option (one of the various reasons is that I am charged
by the number of MBytes I download)

-Santanu

Old 08-10-2008, 06:03 PM
sktsee

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:50:59 +0530, Santanu Chatterjee wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> Recently I had to run e2fsck on my root partition of my ubuntu 7.10
> system, it corrected
> a number of problems (also probably deleted some blocks in the process I
> think).
>
> Since then, whenever I apt-get some software, I get a lot of warning
> messages like
> the following:

> dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `libgmime-2.0-2'
> missing,
> assuming package has no files currently installed.

> So far, they have not caused any problems though. Still I would like to
> fix this thing. I tried "apt-get -f install" but that did not help.
>
> Please suggest.
>
> Regards,
> Santanu Chatterjee

Try "sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgmime-2.0-2"

--
sktsee

Old 08-10-2008, 06:42 PM
"Santanu Chatterjee"

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 11:33 PM, sktsee <sktsee@tulsaconnect.com> wrote:
> Try "sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgmime-2.0-2"

Thanks. This works. But the thing is I get similar warnings for
more than 200 packages. I can of course write a script to identify
those packages and run your suggested command to reinstall
them. That would be one way to solve this.

I was thinking if there was a way (maybe some option to a dpkg
invocation) that will just repopulate/fix the file(s) that contain the
file list for different installed packages. If at all possible, I would
like to avoid reinstalling all those 200+ packages since they are
otherwise working fine... just dpkg seems to have 'forgotten' what
files they contain.

Another thing I noticed was that there are several files named like
#35754, #35854, #36747, #766145, etc. in /lost+found directory.
Probably they have something to do with the root partition check with
e2fsck. Is there something that can be done with these files here?
I tried to google for this but not much useful info could be found that
might help my specific case (maybe I should search more thoroughly)

Regards,
Santanu Chatterjee

Old 08-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Derek Broughton

Santanu Chatterjee wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 11:33 PM, sktsee <sktsee@tulsaconnect.com> wrote:
>> Try "sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgmime-2.0-2"
>
> Thanks. This works. But the thing is I get similar warnings for
> more than 200 packages. I can of course write a script to identify
> those packages and run your suggested command to reinstall
> them. That would be one way to solve this.

Well, it's only one command: "sudo aptitude reinstall pkg1 pkg2 pkg3 ..."

> I was thinking if there was a way (maybe some option to a dpkg
> invocation) that will just repopulate/fix the file(s) that contain the
> file list for different installed packages.

How are you going to safely do that _without_ reinstalling?

> If at all possible, I would
> like to avoid reinstalling all those 200+ packages since they are
> otherwise working fine... just dpkg seems to have 'forgotten' what
> files they contain.
>
> Another thing I noticed was that there are several files named like
> #35754, #35854, #36747, #766145, etc. in /lost+found directory.
> Probably they have something to do with the root partition check with
> e2fsck. Is there something that can be done with these files here?

Not safely. You've had a serious problem with your drive - and I wouldn't
rule out that it's ongoing, and that you're at imminent risk of drive
failure - and you want to stick a bandage on it and continue.

To avoid actually downloading anything, you could start by doing:

# sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb

but (a) that presumes that there's nothing wrong with any of those .debs (if
in fact you have any) and (b) none of them have a configuration or
post-install step that is going to overwrite anything you currently have
installed (I can't guarantee that).
--
derek

Sun Aug 10 22:30:01 2008