Old 08-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Res

Default Hibernate on batery low

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, Kennneth P. Turvey wrote:

> I just lost about an hours work because my system shut down when the
> battery got low. I don't think it even bothered to issue a warning. I
> have the configuration set to hibernate when the batery is low. Why
> isn't it working.
>
> I'm using Hardy on an intel 64 bit platform.

Read the other threads, a number of people have this issue, GPM in Ubuntu
is broken, some have reportedly dumped ubuntus version for debians
version which has fixed it for some, but not all, forget setting laptop
mode as ubuntu have ripped the guts of that as well, you should do what
most are now doing from my reading of ubuntuforums and so on, and thats
relying on the laptops internal critical battery alert, if your laptop
supports it, that is.

--
Cheers
Res

"The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
-Freiheit

Old 08-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Derek Broughton

Kennneth P. Turvey wrote:

> I just lost about an hours work because my system shut down when the
> battery got low. I don't think it even bothered to issue a warning. I
> have the configuration set to hibernate when the batery is low. Why
> isn't it working.
>
> I'm using Hardy on an intel 64 bit platform.

Raise your low-battery limit. Mine hibernates with 10 minutes left -
perhaps it could be shorter, but at 3 minutes, it didn't work. I never
really checked what was happening, but a couple of possibilities come to
mind: acpi hard "wired" to shut down at some time greater than you set for
hibernate; or the capacity left calculation is wrong
--
derek

Old 08-11-2008, 02:50 PM
art

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Raise your low-battery limit. Mine hibernates with 10 minutes left -
> perhaps it could be shorter, but at 3 minutes, it didn't work.
Where did you set this?
Art

Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 AM
"Kennneth P. Turvey"

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:50:25 -0400, art wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Raise your low-battery limit. Mine hibernates with 10 minutes left -
>> perhaps it could be shorter, but at 3 minutes, it didn't work.
> Where did you set this?
> Art

Right click on the battery icon and then select the second tab.
Apparently it doesn't work, so beware.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com>
http://www.electricsenator.net

There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people
by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent
and sudden usurpations. -- James Madison

Old 08-12-2008, 02:13 PM
art

Kennneth P. Turvey wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:50:25 -0400, art wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> Raise your low-battery limit. Mine hibernates with 10 minutes left -
>>> perhaps it could be shorter, but at 3 minutes, it didn't work.
>> Where did you set this?
>> Art
>
> Right click on the battery icon and then select the second tab.
> Apparently it doesn't work, so beware.

That's where I was looking. Under Actions, "When battery Power is
critically low:", I have the option set to Shutdown, rather than
hibernate. I had some "interesting" behavior on restoring from a
hibernate (like having to type the user password into a blank screen
where you can't see what you are typing). But I don't see anything that
lets me change how many minutes left before taking the action??
Art

Old 08-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Derek Broughton

art wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Raise your low-battery limit. Mine hibernates with 10 minutes left -
>> perhaps it could be shorter, but at 3 minutes, it didn't work.

guidance-powermanager - I use KDE but I understand there's a similar applet
in gnome.
--
derek

Old 08-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Derek Broughton

Kennneth P. Turvey wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:50:25 -0400, art wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> Raise your low-battery limit. Mine hibernates with 10 minutes left -
>>> perhaps it could be shorter, but at 3 minutes, it didn't work.
>> Where did you set this?
>
> Right click on the battery icon and then select the second tab.
> Apparently it doesn't work, so beware.

Apparently? The evidence seems to be that it _does_ work, but that it's not
guaranteed to do so if you set your threshhold too low. If, in fact, your
ACPI is hard-wired to shut down on "critical", it won't be any surprise if
you can't hibernate at the same point.
--
derek

Old 08-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Derek Broughton

art wrote:

> Kennneth P. Turvey wrote:

>>> Where did you set this?
>>> Art
>>
>> Right click on the battery icon and then select the second tab.
>> Apparently it doesn't work, so beware.
>>
> That's where I was looking. Under Actions, "When battery Power is
> critically low:", I have the option set to Shutdown, rather than
> hibernate.

Ah. On the KDE one it's "When battery remaining time drops below" and a
spin button to select the time threshold.

> I had some "interesting" behavior on restoring from a
> hibernate (like having to type the user password into a blank screen
> where you can't see what you are typing).

Do you have multiple screens? I sometimes get that when I don't have the
external display connected, but I did when I hibernated.
--
derek

Old 08-12-2008, 05:56 PM
art

Derek Broughton wrote:
>> That's where I was looking. Under Actions, "When battery Power is
>> critically low:", I have the option set to Shutdown, rather than
>> hibernate.
>
> Ah. On the KDE one it's "When battery remaining time drops below" and a
> spin button to select the time threshold.
Ah. I'm using the gnome desktop. I don't think the gnome applet has
that particular feature.

>> I had some "interesting" behavior on restoring from a hibernate
(like having to type the user password into a blank screen
>> where you can't see what you are typing).
>
> Do you have multiple screens? I sometimes get that when I don't have the
> external display connected, but I did when I hibernated.
Nope, just running on a laptop, no external screens.
Art

Old 08-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Res

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Kennneth P. Turvey wrote:

>>> Where did you set this?
>>
>> Right click on the battery icon and then select the second tab.
>> Apparently it doesn't work, so beware.
>
> Apparently? The evidence seems to be that it _does_ work, but that it's not

BS. read ubuntuforums lately? even second person has problems geting it
to work, if you really want it to work, dump ubuntus version and use
the UPSTREAMS, it works fine.