Old 08-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Doug Pollard

Default download ubuntu8.04 iso

Got a mess here, have a lot of problems and getting worse. Was trying
to use kino to capture video and could not capture. Used sudo to dv
capture files in my user home folder. Bad move that! Am getting error
messages and having problems with with Firefox and cannot down load to
desktop or other files. I have so many problems I feel it best to
download Ubuntu 8.04.1 iso in synaptic and reinstall. Have all my data
saved on external hard drive. The question is how or can I down load
iso file on synaptic.??

Thanks, Doug

Old 08-10-2008, 03:11 AM
debian

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 20:01 -0400, Doug Pollard wrote:
> Got a mess here, have a lot of problems and getting worse. Was trying
> to use kino to capture video and could not capture. Used sudo to dv
> capture files in my user home folder. Bad move that! Am getting error
> messages and having problems with with Firefox and cannot down load to
> desktop or other files. I have so many problems I feel it best to
> download Ubuntu 8.04.1 iso in synaptic and reinstall. Have all my data
> saved on external hard drive. The question is how or can I down load
> iso file on synaptic.??
>
> Thanks, Doug

well you cant really download the *.iso file from synaptic..you will
need to download it from the ubuntu website or from bittorrent

from personal experience, i do not recommend reloading ubuntu straight
from the repository..something usually happens where either the servers
kick you off or the install breaks or something and it screws up the
entire thing. IMHO if you really have to, its best to reload just using
the CD

--cj

Old 08-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Doug Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:

> Got a mess here, have a lot of problems and getting
> worse. Was trying
> to use kino to capture video and could not capture.
> Used sudo to dv
> capture files in my user home folder. Bad move
> that! Am getting error
> messages and having problems with with Firefox and
> cannot down load to
> desktop or other files. I have so many problems I
> feel it best to
> download Ubuntu 8.04.1 iso in synaptic and
> reinstall. Have all my data
> saved on external hard drive. The question is how
> or can I down load
> iso file on synaptic.??

Doug, I don't think you can download the iso from
synaptic, but I could be wrong. The usual way is to
download the live CD or alternative CD iso from:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/
Burn it to disc as an iso file then install ubuntu
with the disc. Pick the iso according to your cpu,
ie, i386, amd64 or whatever. Most peeople recommend
an i386, 32 bit install as the 64 bit is somewhat
buggy. I have it and can voouch for it. I'd recommend
the alternative Cd as it generally works better than
the live CD.
Also you mentioned many error messages. It would be
wise if you had posted them so someone on the list
could have suggested how you might avoid this in
ffuture. The sound of your post suggest that you may
have some erroneous ideas about how to do things.
Better to ask if not absolutely sure so that you don't
mess up the OS.

HTH

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-10-2008, 04:56 AM
James Takac

Hi Doug

On Sunday 10 August 2008 14:16:40 Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- Doug Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:
> > Got a mess here, have a lot of problems and getting
> > worse. Was trying
> > to use kino to capture video and could not capture.
> > Used sudo to dv
> > capture files in my user home folder. Bad move
> > that! Am getting error
> > messages and having problems with with Firefox and
> > cannot down load to
> > desktop or other files. I have so many problems I
> > feel it best to
> > download Ubuntu 8.04.1 iso in synaptic and
> > reinstall. Have all my data
> > saved on external hard drive. The question is how
> > or can I down load
> > iso file on synaptic.??
>
> Doug, I don't think you can download the iso from
> synaptic, but I could be wrong. The usual way is to
> download the live CD or alternative CD iso from:
> http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/
> Burn it to disc as an iso file then install ubuntu
> with the disc. Pick the iso according to your cpu,
> ie, i386, amd64 or whatever. Most peeople recommend
> an i386, 32 bit install as the 64 bit is somewhat
> buggy. I have it and can voouch for it. I'd recommend
> the alternative Cd as it generally works better than
> the live CD.
> Also you mentioned many error messages. It would be
> wise if you had posted them so someone on the list
> could have suggested how you might avoid this in
> ffuture. The sound of your post suggest that you may
> have some erroneous ideas about how to do things.
> Better to ask if not absolutely sure so that you don't
> mess up the OS.
>
> HTH
>

> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

You can't download iso's via synaptic. Best bet is to go to
http://www.ubuntu.com/ and got to the download they're after from there or by
searching for the relevant torrent version to download

James

Old 08-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Doug Pollard

Debian wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 20:01 -0400, Doug Pollard wrote:
>
>> Got a mess here, have a lot of problems and getting worse. Was trying
>> to use kino to capture video and could not capture. Used sudo to dv
>> capture files in my user home folder. Bad move that! Am getting error
>> messages and having problems with with Firefox and cannot down load to
>> desktop or other files. I have so many problems I feel it best to
>> download Ubuntu 8.04.1 iso in synaptic and reinstall. Have all my data
>> saved on external hard drive. The question is how or can I down load
>> iso file on synaptic.??
>>
>> Thanks, Doug
>>

> well you cant really download the *.iso file from synaptic..you will
> need to download it from the ubuntu website or from bittorrent
>
> from personal experience, i do not recommend reloading ubuntu straight
> from the repository..something usually happens where either the servers
> kick you off or the install breaks or something and it screws up the
> entire thing. IMHO if you really have to, its best to reload just using
> the CD
>
> --cj

That is a part of my problem. I can't download anything except in
synaptic or maybe apt -get. I had video files in user's Home that
were root files. I captured them using sudo because I needed to burn
them to dvd. I then made the mistake of copying them from root.
That seems to be causing all kinds of problems. My solution was to just
delete the files in user home and that did not solve the problem most of
them in Firefox. I need to get things working as I have video to edit
and since there are so many problems I was thinking the quickest way to
get up and running might be to reinstall. In truth I would much rather
fix it all in terminal. I am busy reading the Ubuntu book as I just
don't have the skill to fix all the problems.
Doug

Old 08-10-2008, 01:01 PM
William Witt

On Sunday 10 August 2008 08:38:13 Doug Pollard wrote:
> Debian wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 20:01 -0400, Doug Pollard wrote:
> >> Got a mess here, have a lot of problems and getting worse. Was trying
> >> to use kino to capture video and could not capture. Used sudo to dv
> >> capture files in my user home folder. Bad move that! Am getting error
> >> messages and having problems with with Firefox and cannot down load to
> >> desktop or other files. I have so many problems I feel it best to
> >> download Ubuntu 8.04.1 iso in synaptic and reinstall. Have all my data
> >> saved on external hard drive. The question is how or can I down load
> >> iso file on synaptic.??
> >>
> >> Thanks, Doug
> >
> > well you cant really download the *.iso file from synaptic..you will
> > need to download it from the ubuntu website or from bittorrent
> >
> > from personal experience, i do not recommend reloading ubuntu straight
> > from the repository..something usually happens where either the servers
> > kick you off or the install breaks or something and it screws up the
> > entire thing. IMHO if you really have to, its best to reload just using
> > the CD
> >
> > --cj
>
> That is a part of my problem. I can't download anything except in
> synaptic or maybe apt -get. I had video files in user's Home that
> were root files. I captured them using sudo because I needed to burn
> them to dvd. I then made the mistake of copying them from root.
> That seems to be causing all kinds of problems. My solution was to just
> delete the files in user home and that did not solve the problem most of
> them in Firefox. I need to get things working as I have video to edit
> and since there are so many problems I was thinking the quickest way to
> get up and running might be to reinstall. In truth I would much rather
> fix it all in terminal. I am busy reading the Ubuntu book as I just
> don't have the skill to fix all the problems.
> Doug

If you truly want to reload the system you can just create a new user to
download and burn the ISO. However you should be able to fix your system from
the command line. Basically, you need to reclaim the ownership of your home
directory. Commands are as follows (be sure to replace all occurrences of
[username] with your user name) :

cd /home
sudo chown -R [username]:[username] [username]
cd [username]
sudo chown -R [username]:[username] .*

-Line one changes to the home directory (obviously)
-Line two recursively changes the ownership of your home directory to your
user and group.
-Line four is there because I have had some issues with chown not modifying
hidden files and directories, so this will ensure it's done.

Be careful with chown using it improperly can mess up a system pretty badly
(in short: know what you chown).

William

Old 08-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Doug Pollard

William Witt wrote:
> On Sunday 10 August 2008 08:38:13 Doug Pollard wrote:
>
>> Debian wrote:

>>> well you cant really download the *.iso file from synaptic..you will
>>> need to download it from the ubuntu website or from bittorrent
>>>
>>> from personal experience, i do not recommend reloading ubuntu straight
>>> from the repository..something usually happens where either the servers
>>> kick you off or the install breaks or something and it screws up the
>>> entire thing. IMHO if you really have to, its best to reload just using
>>> the CD
>>>
>>> --cj
>>>
>> That is a part of my problem. I can't download anything except in
>> synaptic or maybe apt -get. I had video files in user's Home that
>> were root files. I captured them using sudo because I needed to burn
>> them to dvd. I then made the mistake of copying them from root.
>> That seems to be causing all kinds of problems. My solution was to just
>> delete the files in user home and that did not solve the problem most of
>> them in Firefox. I need to get things working as I have video to edit
>> and since there are so many problems I was thinking the quickest way to
>> get up and running might be to reinstall. In truth I would much rather
>> fix it all in terminal. I am busy reading the Ubuntu book as I just
>> don't have the skill to fix all the problems.
>> Doug
>>

> If you truly want to reload the system you can just create a new user to
> download and burn the ISO. However you should be able to fix your system from
> the command line. Basically, you need to reclaim the ownership of your home
> directory. Commands are as follows (be sure to replace all occurrences of
> [username] with your user name) :
>
> cd /home
> sudo chown -R [username]:[username] [username]
> cd [username]
> sudo chown -R [username]:[username] .*
>
> -Line one changes to the home directory (obviously)
> -Line two recursively changes the ownership of your home directory to your
> user and group.
> -Line four is there because I have had some issues with chown not modifying
> hidden files and directories, so this will ensure it's done.
>
> Be careful with chown using it improperly can mess up a system pretty badly
> (in short: know what you chown).
>
> William

Ok put in cd /home Ok so far, put in sudo chown -R doug:doug
doug1 I thought this would change doug to doug1 Got an error
message Is one of these users to be the new user? I don't understand
this. Went to man and read for an hour but did not find and answer there.
Thanks Doug
Doug

Old 08-10-2008, 03:08 PM
William Witt

On Sunday 10 August 2008 10:56:42 Doug Pollard wrote:
> William Witt wrote:

> >> That is a part of my problem. I can't download anything except in
> >> synaptic or maybe apt -get. I had video files in user's Home that
> >> were root files. I captured them using sudo because I needed to burn
> >> them to dvd. I then made the mistake of copying them from root.
> >> That seems to be causing all kinds of problems. My solution was to just
> >> delete the files in user home and that did not solve the problem most of
> >> them in Firefox. I need to get things working as I have video to edit
> >> and since there are so many problems I was thinking the quickest way to
> >> get up and running might be to reinstall. In truth I would much rather
> >> fix it all in terminal. I am busy reading the Ubuntu book as I just
> >> don't have the skill to fix all the problems.
> >> Doug
> >
> > If you truly want to reload the system you can just create a new user to
> > download and burn the ISO. However you should be able to fix your system
> > from the command line. Basically, you need to reclaim the ownership of
> > your home directory. Commands are as follows (be sure to replace all
> > occurrences of [username] with your user name) :
> >
> > cd /home
> > sudo chown -R [username]:[username] [username]
> > cd [username]
> > sudo chown -R [username]:[username] .*
> >
> > -Line one changes to the home directory (obviously)
> > -Line two recursively changes the ownership of your home directory to
> > your user and group.
> > -Line four is there because I have had some issues with chown not
> > modifying hidden files and directories, so this will ensure it's done.
> >
> > Be careful with chown using it improperly can mess up a system pretty
> > badly (in short: know what you chown).
> >
> > William
>
> Ok put in cd /home Ok so far, put in sudo chown -R doug:doug
> doug1 I thought this would change doug to doug1 Got an error
> message Is one of these users to be the new user? I don't understand
> this. Went to man and read for an hour but did not find and answer there.
> Thanks Doug
> Doug

Sorry, should have been more clear.

Option 1) Use chown to change ownership of the files; Usage is:
chown [options] [user][group] [file to change]
so:
sudo chown -R doug:doug /home/doug
will reset the permissions of all of the files in your home directory so that
you are the owner. This should fix your overall issue that came from running
programs as root in your home directory.

Option 2) add a new user, you should use the ubuntu GUI tool under system-
>administration->users and groups to add a new user so that you can download
the isos, etc

Will

Old 08-10-2008, 04:15 PM
"Mumia W."

On 08/09/2008 07:01 PM, Doug Pollard wrote:
> Got a mess here, have a lot of problems and getting worse. Was trying
> to use kino to capture video and could not capture. Used sudo to dv
> capture files in my user home folder. Bad move that! Am getting error
> messages and having problems with with Firefox and cannot down load to
> desktop or other files. I have so many problems I feel it best to
> download Ubuntu 8.04.1 iso in synaptic and reinstall. Have all my data
> saved on external hard drive. The question is how or can I down load
> iso file on synaptic.??
>
> Thanks, Doug

Doug, I agree with William that your problem, if file-ownership related,
can be solved much more simply by using "chown." You might fix the
permissions this way:

$ sudo chown -R $(id -n -u):$(id -n -g) /home/$(id -n -u)

Old 08-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Doug Pollard

William Witt wrote:
> On Sunday 10 August 2008 10:56:42 Doug Pollard wrote:
>
>> William Witt wrote:

>>> If you truly want to reload the system you can just create a new user to
>>> download and burn the ISO. However you should be able to fix your system
>>> from the command line. Basically, you need to reclaim the ownership of
>>> your home directory. Commands are as follows (be sure to replace all
>>> occurrences of [username] with your user name) :
>>>
>>> cd /home
>>> sudo chown -R [username]:[username] [username]
>>> cd [username]
>>> sudo chown -R [username]:[username] .*
>>>
>>> -Line one changes to the home directory (obviously)
>>> -Line two recursively changes the ownership of your home directory to
>>> your user and group.
>>> -Line four is there because I have had some issues with chown not
>>> modifying hidden files and directories, so this will ensure it's done.
>>>
>>> Be careful with chown using it improperly can mess up a system pretty
>>> badly (in short: know what you chown).
>>>
>>> William
>>>
>> Ok put in cd /home Ok so far, put in sudo chown -R doug:doug
>> doug1 I thought this would change doug to doug1 Got an error
>> message Is one of these users to be the new user? I don't understand
>> this. Went to man and read for an hour but did not find and answer there.
>> Thanks Doug
>> Doug
>>

> Sorry, should have been more clear.
>
> Option 1) Use chown to change ownership of the files; Usage is:
> chown [options] [user][group] [file to change]
> so:
> sudo chown -R doug:doug /home/doug
> will reset the permissions of all of the files in your home directory so that
> you are the owner. This should fix your overall issue that came from running
> programs as root in your home directory.
>
> Option 2) add a new user, you should use the ubuntu GUI tool under system-
>
>> administration->users and groups to add a new user so that you can download
>>
> the isos, etc
>
> Will
>
> OK :-) I followed the above and got a new prompt in the terminal which I guess means it was successful I guess. I set up a second user account and all went well there.It starts and runs well. I started the original accountand got this message as before when ubuntu starts.: users $home/dimrc fileis being ignored. This prevents the default sessions and language from being saved.File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. Users Home directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users.
I guess the above is the reason I can't download anything and save it??
I haven't tried downloading and opening to see If downloading works. I
also can't save to favorites in Firefox. I guess the same problem. I
was thinking there were a lot of problems when in fact the one above
maybe the main one and all there is??
This was the same message I was getting before and was hoping the
above change would fix this. Maybe if this were straightened out there
would be no need to reinstall. I kind of hate to reinstall as it
represents a failure to my way of thinking. It would be good If this
could be fixed.
Thanks Dougl