Old 08-10-2008, 05:47 PM
"Verde Denim"

Default download ubuntu8.04 iso

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Doug Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:

William Witt wrote:

> On Sunday 10 August 2008 10:56:42 Doug Pollard wrote:

>> William Witt wrote:

>>> If you truly want to reload the system you can just create a new user to

>>> download and burn the ISO. *However you should be able to fix your system

>>> from the command line. *Basically, you need to reclaim the ownership of

>>> your home directory. *Commands are as follows (be sure to replace all

>>> occurrences of [username] with your user name) :

>>> cd /home

>>> sudo chown -R [username]:[username] [username]

>>> cd [username]

>>> sudo chown -R [username]:[username] .*

>>> -Line one changes to the home directory (obviously)

>>> -Line two recursively changes the ownership of your home directory to

>>> your user and group.

>>> -Line four is there because I have had some issues with chown not

>>> modifying hidden files and directories, so this will ensure it's done.

>>> Be careful with chown using it improperly can mess up a system pretty

>>> badly (in short: know what you chown).

>>> William

>> Ok *put in cd /home *Ok so far, * put in *sudo chown -R *doug:doug

>> doug1 * *I thought this would change doug to doug1 *Got an error

>> message *Is one of these users to be the new user? *I don't understand

>> this. Went to man and read for an hour but did not find and answer there.

>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Thanks Doug

>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Doug

> Sorry, should have been more clear.

> Option 1) Use chown to change ownership of the files; Usage is:

> chown [options] [user][group] [file to change]

> so:

> sudo chown -R doug:doug /home/doug

> will reset the permissions of all of the files in your home directory so that

> you are the owner. *This should fix your overall issue that came from running

> programs as root in your home directory.

> Option 2) add a new user, you should use the ubuntu GUI tool under system-

>> administration->users and groups to add a new user so that you can download

> the isos, etc

> Will

> OK :-) *I followed the above and got a new prompt in the terminal which I guess means it was successful I guess. I set up a second user account and all went well there.It starts and runs well. *I started the original accountand got this message as before when ubuntu starts.: * *users $home/dimrc fileis being ignored. This prevents the default sessions and language from being saved.File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. Users Home directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users.

I guess the above is the reason I can't download anything and save it??

I haven't tried downloading and opening to see If downloading works. I

also can't save to favorites in Firefox. I guess the same problem. *I

was thinking there were a lot of problems when in fact the one above

maybe the main one and all there is??

* *This was the same message I was getting before and was hoping the

above change would fix this. *Maybe if this were straightened out there

would be no need to reinstall. I kind of hate to reinstall as it

represents a failure to my way of thinking. *It would be good If this

could be fixed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Thanks Dougl

In some cases, doing what it tells you can help.
Go to the command line, run this -
(i.e. - if your user name is 'doug')

chow doug:doug /home/doug/.dimrc && chmod 644 /home/doug/.dimrc

Given the error message, that should give it what it wants.* You will probably have to restart the session for that to work...

Old 08-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 10 August 2008 19:00, Doug Pollard wrote:
> William Witt wrote:

> >> Ok put in cd /home Ok so far, put in sudo chown -R doug:doug
> >> doug1 I thought this would change doug to doug1 Got an error
> >> message Is one of these users to be the new user? I don't understand
> >> this. Went to man and read for an hour but did not find and answer
> >> there. Thanks Doug
> >> Doug
> >
> > Sorry, should have been more clear.
> >
> > Option 1) Use chown to change ownership of the files; Usage is:
> > chown [options] [user][group] [file to change]
> > so:
> > sudo chown -R doug:doug /home/doug
> > will reset the permissions of all of the files in your home directory so
> > that you are the owner. This should fix your overall issue that came
> > from running programs as root in your home directory.
> >
> > Option 2) add a new user, you should use the ubuntu GUI tool under
> > system-
> >
> >> administration->users and groups to add a new user so that you can
> >> download
> >
> > the isos, etc
> >
> > Will
> >
> > OK :-) I followed the above and got a new prompt in the terminal which I
> > guess means it was successful I guess. I set up a second user account and
> > all went well there.It starts and runs well. I started the original
> > accountand got this message as before when ubuntu starts.: users
> > $home/dimrc fileis being ignored. This prevents the default sessions and
> > language from being saved.File should be owned by user and have 644
> > permissions. Users Home directory must be owned by user and not writable
> > by other users.
>
> I guess the above is the reason I can't download anything and save it??
> I haven't tried downloading and opening to see If downloading works. I
> also can't save to favorites in Firefox. I guess the same problem. I
> was thinking there were a lot of problems when in fact the one above
> maybe the main one and all there is??
> This was the same message I was getting before and was hoping the
> above change would fix this. Maybe if this were straightened out there
> would be no need to reinstall. I kind of hate to reinstall as it
> represents a failure to my way of thinking. It would be good If this
> could be fixed.
> Thanks Doug

I appreciate your situation, as re-installing is pretty much a last resort,
and shouldn't be necessary.

I recently downloaded updates for my Archlinux install, and KDE 3.5.9 was
going to be upgraded to KDE4. I suppose it was a bit foolish to let this go
ahead, as as it turned out KDE4, as far as I'm concerned has given me nothing
but problems.

For the first time since using Linux, I've deliberately installed Gnome. My
Fedora installs have Gnome as the default DE, and I always also install KDE
as well, as I prefer it, but at the moment on Archlinux, Gnome is better than
KDE4. My reason for installing Gnome, is that I hope to remove all the KDE4
packages, without losing access to a desktop environment.

I then, if I can find the packages for KDE 3.5.9, will install them, and get
back KDE 3.5.9, which was working just fine before the Archlinux upgrade to
KDE4. Then to stop Archlinux upgrading to KDE4 again, and I think there are
some workarounds here.

The last thing I want to do is reinstall Archlinux, even though it may well be
the easiest. Since the install there were no updates to KDE 3.5.9, until the
upgrade to KDE4, and the install is quite new, so there is no data which I'm
concerned about losing. All the same I'm going to have a good go at reverting
KDE4 to KDE 3.5.9 before I throw in the towel and re-install.

Nigel.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Doug Pollard

Verde Denim wrote:

> [...]
> also can't save to favorites in Firefox. I guess the same problem. I
> was thinking there were a lot of problems when in fact the one above
> maybe the main one and all there is??
> This was the same message I was getting before and was hoping the
> above change would fix this. Maybe if this were straightened out
> there
> would be no need to reinstall. I kind of hate to reinstall as it
> represents a failure to my way of thinking. It would be good If this
> could be fixed.
> Thanks Dougl
>

> In some cases, doing what it tells you can help.
> Go to the command line, run this -
> (i.e. - if your user name is 'doug')
>
> chow doug:doug /home/doug/.dimrc && chmod 644 /home/doug/.dimrc
>
> Given the error message, that should give it what it wants. You will
> probably have to restart the session for that to work...

I put in the command using my correct user name and it accepted it
and gave me a new prompt. I am still getting the same message when
starting Ubuntu. I believe the video I captured is still in my root
file can that be a problem? At some point I will need to delete it or
some how move it to a user file as I don't think I want to be working
out of root.
Doug
Doug

Old 08-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Doug Pollard

Nigel Henry wrote:
> [...]
> as well, as I prefer it, but at the moment on Archlinux, Gnome is better than
> KDE4. My reason for installing Gnome, is that I hope to remove all the KDE4
> packages, without losing access to a desktop environment.
>
> I then, if I can find the packages for KDE 3.5.9, will install them, and get
> back KDE 3.5.9, which was working just fine before the Archlinux upgrade to
> KDE4. Then to stop Archlinux upgrading to KDE4 again, and I think there are
> some workarounds here.
>
> The last thing I want to do is reinstall Archlinux, even though it may well be
> the easiest. Since the install there were no updates to KDE 3.5.9, until the
> upgrade to KDE4, and the install is quite new, so there is no data which I'm
> concerned about losing. All the same I'm going to have a good go at reverting
> KDE4 to KDE 3.5.9 before I throw in the towel and re-install.

Bravo :-)
Doug

Old 08-10-2008, 08:12 PM
William Witt

On Sunday 10 August 2008 13:00:33 Doug Pollard wrote:
> William Witt wrote:

> >> Ok put in cd /home Ok so far, put in sudo chown -R doug:doug
> >> doug1 I thought this would change doug to doug1 Got an error
> >> message Is one of these users to be the new user? I don't understand
> >> this. Went to man and read for an hour but did not find and answer
> >> there. Thanks Doug
> >> Doug
> >
> > Sorry, should have been more clear.
> >
> > Option 1) Use chown to change ownership of the files; Usage is:
> > chown [options] [user][group] [file to change]
> > so:
> > sudo chown -R doug:doug /home/doug
> > will reset the permissions of all of the files in your home directory so
> > that you are the owner. This should fix your overall issue that came
> > from running programs as root in your home directory.
> >
> > Option 2) add a new user, you should use the ubuntu GUI tool under
> > system-
> >
> >> administration->users and groups to add a new user so that you can
> >> download
> >
> > the isos, etc
> >
> > Will
> >
> > OK :-) I followed the above and got a new prompt in the terminal which I
> > guess means it was successful I guess. I set up a second user account and
> > all went well there.It starts and runs well. I started the original
> > accountand got this message as before when ubuntu starts.: users
> > $home/dimrc fileis being ignored. This prevents the default sessions and
> > language from being saved.File should be owned by user and have 644
> > permissions. Users Home directory must be owned by user and not writable
> > by other users.
>
> I guess the above is the reason I can't download anything and save it??
> I haven't tried downloading and opening to see If downloading works. I
> also can't save to favorites in Firefox. I guess the same problem. I
> was thinking there were a lot of problems when in fact the one above
> maybe the main one and all there is??
> This was the same message I was getting before and was hoping the
> above change would fix this. Maybe if this were straightened out there
> would be no need to reinstall. I kind of hate to reinstall as it
> represents a failure to my way of thinking. It would be good If this
> could be fixed.
> Thanks Dougl
Can you provide the out put of (assuming your username is doug):

ls -al /home
and
ls -al /home/doug/.dmrc

This will list all users and permissions to their home directories on the
system. The second command will list the file permissions and ownership of
your .dmrc file. If you'd prefer not to broadcast this information on the
mailing list you may email me directly (william at witt-family dot net).

Will