Old 08-09-2008, 11:33 PM
"Michael Vogt"

Default nvidia restricted starts in save mode only

Hi.

I have here a Lenovo T61p, with a nVidia Quadro FX 570M and Ubuntu
8.04, all updates installed.

Everytime I active the restricted nvidia driver, the system starts up
in save mode only. I looked around on the web on help on how to solve
this, but did not find anything that helped. I am no Linux pro

When I install the nvidia-settings and run it, I get this error:
"You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X
configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart
the X server."

When I run nvidia-xconfig and restart the system, it still starts to save mode.

It worked when I originally installed the system, but broke with one
of the updates since then. Any tips on how to get this working again
are very welcome.

Thanks,
Michael

Old 08-10-2008, 03:09 AM
debian

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 01:33 +0200, Michael Vogt wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have here a Lenovo T61p, with a nVidia Quadro FX 570M and Ubuntu
> 8.04, all updates installed.
>
> Everytime I active the restricted nvidia driver, the system starts up
> in save mode only. I looked around on the web on help on how to solve
> this, but did not find anything that helped. I am no Linux pro
>
> When I install the nvidia-settings and run it, I get this error:
> "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X
> configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart
> the X server."
>
> When I run nvidia-xconfig and restart the system, it still starts to save mode.
>
> It worked when I originally installed the system, but broke with one
> of the updates since then. Any tips on how to get this working again
> are very welcome.
>

> Thanks,
> Michael

try reinstalling the driver. from synaptic, search for nvidia-glx-new
and mark it for reinstallation

--cj

Old 08-10-2008, 03:20 AM
James Takac

Hi Cj

On Sunday 10 August 2008 13:09:22 debian wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 01:33 +0200, Michael Vogt wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have here a Lenovo T61p, with a nVidia Quadro FX 570M and Ubuntu
> > 8.04, all updates installed.
> >
> > Everytime I active the restricted nvidia driver, the system starts up
> > in save mode only. I looked around on the web on help on how to solve
> > this, but did not find anything that helped. I am no Linux pro
> >
> > When I install the nvidia-settings and run it, I get this error:
> > "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X
> > configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart
> > the X server."
> >
> > When I run nvidia-xconfig and restart the system, it still starts to save
> > mode.
> >
> > It worked when I originally installed the system, but broke with one
> > of the updates since then. Any tips on how to get this working again
> > are very welcome.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Michael
>
> try reinstalling the driver. from synaptic, search for nvidia-glx-new
> and mark it for reinstallation
>
> --cj

I don't see anything saying how our friend installed the driver. It may well
have been via synaptic. I'd suggest trying the envy install script at
http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

James

Old 08-10-2008, 12:25 PM
"Michael Vogt"

Hello cj.

> try reinstalling the driver. from synaptic, search for nvidia-glx-new
> and mark it for reinstallation

I just deinstalled nvidia-glx-new and installed it again after
restarting with synaptic. Then I enabled the driver with the
System:Administration:Hardware Drivers dialog.

When restarting, a dialog is shown informing that the system started
in log-graphics mode. So, the problem persits.

Any other idea?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 08-10-2008, 12:41 PM
"Michael Vogt"

HI James.

> I don't see anything saying how our friend installed the driver. It may well
> have been via synaptic. I'd suggest trying the envy install script at
> http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

I think, originaly I installed the driver by enabling it in the
Hardware Drivers dialog. Which, as I said, worked at the beginning.

After the problem came up, I had installed Envy NG. The driver works,
but I have the impression, that it works software only, and does not
use the 3D capabilities of the graphics card. Applications like Google
Earth is extremely slow.

I do not see any difference with this driver and the vesa driver. With
the advantage that with the vesa driver, suspend works.

With the restricted driver, I expect much faster display.

Greetings,
Michael

Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 AM
"Michael Vogt"

Hi all.

No more ideas on how I can get to use the restricted driver again?

There should be more info why the driver fails to load somewhere. I
just don't find it. Someone knows where? Anything else I can do to
find the problem?

Or is there another more appropriate forum to ask this question somewhere?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 08-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

No expert here but have you tried adding the
driver/module to /etc/modules and check
/etc/modprobe.d/ to see if something blacklisted may
be at fault. Maybe "sudo dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xorg" and be sure to backup the original just
in case. There are much more qualified people to
answer your question than me but the above might help.

--- Michael Vogt <quickmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> No more ideas on how I can get to use the restricted
> driver again?
>
> There should be more info why the driver fails to
> load somewhere. I
> just don't find it. Someone knows where? Anything
> else I can do to
> find the problem?
>
> Or is there another more appropriate forum to ask
> this question somewhere?
>

> Thanks,
> Michael
>

> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 14:41, Michael Vogt
> <quickmike@gmail.com> wrote:
> > HI James.
> >

> >> I don't see anything saying how our friend
> installed the driver. It may well
> >> have been via synaptic. I'd suggest trying the
> envy install script at
> >> http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
> >>
> > I think, originaly I installed the driver by
> enabling it in the
> > Hardware Drivers dialog. Which, as I said, worked
> at the beginning.
> >
> > After the problem came up, I had installed Envy
> NG. The driver works,
> > but I have the impression, that it works software
> only, and does not
> > use the 3D capabilities of the graphics card.
> Applications like Google
> > Earth is extremely slow.
> >
> > I do not see any difference with this driver and
> the vesa driver. With
> > the advantage that with the vesa driver, suspend
> works.
> >
> > With the restricted driver, I expect much faster
> display.
> >

> > Greetings,
> > Michael

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-13-2008, 10:13 AM
"Michael Vogt"

Hello Leonard.

Thanks for your answer.

> No expert here but have you tried adding the
> driver/module to /etc/modules and check
> /etc/modprobe.d/ to see if something blacklisted may
> be at fault.

?? Sorry, don't understand what you mean.

> Maybe "sudo dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg" and be sure to backup the original just
> in case. There are much more qualified people to
> answer your question than me but the above might help.

I think I did this once. But there was nothing to change something
about the graphics driver, other than using the kernel framebuffer otr
not. I tried both settings. All the other options have been keyboard
related.

Greetings,
MIchael

Old 08-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Michael Vogt <quickmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Leonard.
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> > No expert here but have you tried adding the
> > driver/module to /etc/modules and check
> > /etc/modprobe.d/ to see if something blacklisted
> may
> > be at fault.
> >
> ?? Sorry, don't understand what you mean.

Sorry, remember I said, no expert here. I don't think
my suggestion has any bearing after I checked my
/etc/modules and /etc/modprob.d/blacklist files and
your orig post. I was assuming that you knew how to do
a "sudo nano /etc/modules and add you video driver to
it.
You might try adding via synaptic package manager:

linux-restricted-modules-<your-kernel-nubmer> and
nvidia-new-kernel-source-envy-173.14.12+<your kernel
no.>
nvidia-glx-new-envy-<same as above>

which is what I have using a Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS
and works fine. Be sure to go to software sources and
enable all in the popup and update before adding the
above.

> > Maybe "sudo dpkg-reconfigure
> > xserver-xorg" and be sure to backup the original
> just
> > in case. There are much more qualified people to
> > answer your question than me but the above might
> help.

Before trying the above run the command from console:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

to see if that fixes your problem; it has for me when
I has doing the hardy updates. Reboot to check and if
it doesn't try the above listed installs. Forget the
below stuff and just run the above and reboot. if it
asks about your driver/module/card be sure you select
the right one.

> I think I did this once. But there was nothing to
> change something
> about the graphics driver, other than using the
> kernel framebuffer otr
> not. I tried both settings. All the other options
> have been keyboard
> related.
>

> Greetings,
> MIchael

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-13-2008, 03:18 PM
NoOp

On 08/09/2008 04:33 PM, Michael Vogt wrote:

> When I install the nvidia-settings and run it, I get this error:
> "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X
> configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart
> the X server."
>
> When I run nvidia-xconfig and restart the system, it still starts to save mode.

Did you run it as root?

sudo -i
nvidia-xconfig