Old 08-09-2008, 02:04 PM
"David McNally"

Default Removing KDM

Hi everyone,

I recently figured out how to install kubuntu-desktop on an Ubuntu machine (which seems to have gone well). However, I did accidentally switched the Login Manager from GDM to KDM.

How do I switch it back to GDM?

Thanks in advance,
David

Old 08-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Nils Kassube

David McNally wrote:
> I recently figured out how to install kubuntu-desktop on an Ubuntu
> machine (which seems to have gone well). However, I did accidentally
> switched the Login Manager from GDM to KDM.
>
> How do I switch it back to GDM?

Uninstall package "kdm", then gdm will be used again.

Nils

Old 08-09-2008, 04:17 PM
NoOp

On 08/09/2008 07:04 AM, David McNally wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently figured out how to install kubuntu-desktop on an Ubuntu machine
> (which seems to have gone well). However, I did accidentally switched the
> Login Manager from GDM to KDM.
>
> How do I switch it back to GDM?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> David

At the login, lower left corner, select "Options". Then "Select Session"
and then "Gnome". Enter your name and password when prompted. You will
then get a popup asking if you'd like to make Gnome your default, answer
yes. From then on out your sessions will automatically load as Gnome
after to you enter your name and password. If you want to use KDE for a
session, do the same and select KDE; you can tell it to only use it for
that session at the popup if you wish to only use it for that session.

If you'd like to get rid of the KDE login theme and go back to the Gnome
login screen:

System|Administration|Login Window|Local
Style: Themmed
Theme: Selected only
Human - Ubuntu Default Welcome Theme

You don't have to uninstall or remove anything.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- David McNally <david3333333@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently figured out how to install
> kubuntu-desktop on an Ubuntu machine
> (which seems to have gone well). However, I did
> accidentally switched the
> Login Manager from GDM to KDM.
>
> How do I switch it back to GDM?

Besides the methods already mentioned you can also do:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm(if thats the default windows
manager)

Click OK on each pop up you see when you are sure the
right choice is made where a choice is given.
You'll eventually come to a screen where all the
windows managers that are installed on your system are
listed. Select the one you want(I like kdm and it will
run gnome desktop fine) and click OK to proceed to
completing the reconfiguring the windows manager.
Most of the choices are easily intuitively answered.
Also, be sure to read the instructions on each pop up
window so you know what's going on.
HTH,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-10-2008, 04:06 AM
Pastor JW

On Saturday 09 August 2008 07:36:09 am Nils Kassube wrote:
> David McNally wrote:
> > I recently figured out how to install kubuntu-desktop on an Ubuntu
> > machine (which seems to have gone well). However, I did accidentally
> > switched the Login Manager from GDM to KDM.
> >
> > How do I switch it back to GDM?
>
> Uninstall package "kdm", then gdm will be used again.

NOT TRUE. If you do that, all that will happen is that you will have NO
desktop manager. What is needed is to go into your system setup and choose
the desktop manager you wish to use. I too like the gdm over the kdm but to
change you do it inside of one of the systems you bring up, not by
unistalling something. Both systems and more even can be installled, it
depends on what you choose to9 be your default dm.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org