Old 08-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Marius Gedminas

Default Assus eee

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 12:24:55PM -0400, Steve Brettell wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu Hardy Heron on my main computer. I love it. I have an
> Assus eee, 4g which is loaded with XP. I should have bought the linux
> version, but so it goes.
>
> How can I go about swapping out the xp for Ubuntu?

http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/ may help you.

Marius Gedminas
--
> find /lib/modules/2.4.17-expt/kernel/ -type f|while read i; do insmod $i; done
You're sick. I like you.
-- Andrew Morton on lkml

Old 08-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Gilles Gravier

Title: Signature Home Chastity

+1 I've installed Ubuntu-eee.com on my EeePC 900... Works like a charm.

Gilles.

Marius Gedminas wrote:

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 12:24:55PM -0400, Steve Brettell wrote:

I am running Ubuntu Hardy Heron on my main computer. I love it. I have an
Assus eee, 4g which is loaded with XP. I should have bought the linux
version, but so it goes.

How can I go about swapping out the xp for Ubuntu?

http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/ may help you.

Marius Gedminas

--

Gilles Gravier = Gilles@Gravier.org

ICQ : 77488526* || MSN Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org

Skype :*ggravier || Y! : ggravier || AOL : gillesgravier

PGP Key ID : 0x8DE6D026

"Chastity
is its own punishment." (Solomon Short)
[David Gerrold]

"De toutes les
aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus aberrante." [Anatole France]

Old 08-09-2008, 09:01 AM
komputes

I found that https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC is the best place
for information on th eeepc using ubunu.

I have a 2G surf that I bout for ~$300 and following these instructions
and/or running the ricey script
(http://eee.ricey.co.uk/files/eee/RiceeeyTweak.sh) will be useful in
setting up your eeepc with ubuntu.

4G is good but I recommend you get an 8GB -> 32GB SDHC Class 6 card if
you want descent storage. You can use the SD card to mount your /home
directory from. That way your programs run quickly off the SSHD and all
your personal data can fit in your pocket (only take it out once the
computer is completely turned off - just a tip).

For wireless internet, every time there is a kernel update you will have
to recompile and reinstall madwifi from source since it is not a
maintained debian package (yet). So keep a copy and a copy of the
instructions page locally.

I'm not too sure if my microphone works well and I'm sure that all the
function keys do not work well.

I will tell you that I had much less issues and better speed in Gutsy
then in Hardy, so you may want to try 7.10 as well as 8.04 and pick the
one you like better.

Good luck, it's a little tricky but worth it.

-komputes

Old 08-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Bruno Costacurta

On Saturday 09 August 2008 11:01:41 komputes wrote:
> I found that https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC is the best place
> for information on th eeepc using ubunu.
>
> I have a 2G surf that I bout for ~$300 and following these instructions
> and/or running the ricey script
> (http://eee.ricey.co.uk/files/eee/RiceeeyTweak.sh) will be useful in
> setting up your eeepc with ubuntu.
>
> 4G is good but I recommend you get an 8GB -> 32GB SDHC Class 6 card if
> you want descent storage. You can use the SD card to mount your /home
> directory from. That way your programs run quickly off the SSHD and all
> your personal data can fit in your pocket (only take it out once the
> computer is completely turned off - just a tip).
>
> For wireless internet, every time there is a kernel update you will have
> to recompile and reinstall madwifi from source since it is not a
> maintained debian package (yet). So keep a copy and a copy of the
> instructions page locally.
>
> I'm not too sure if my microphone works well and I'm sure that all the
> function keys do not work well.
>
> I will tell you that I had much less issues and better speed in Gutsy
> then in Hardy, so you may want to try 7.10 as well as 8.04 and pick the
> one you like better.
>
> Good luck, it's a little tricky but worth it.
>
> -komputes
>
> Steve Brettell wrote:
> > I am running Ubuntu Hardy Heron on my main computer. I love it. I have
> > an Assus eee, 4g which is loaded with XP. I should have bought the linux
> > version, but so it goes.
> >
> > How can I go about swapping out the xp for Ubuntu?
> >
> > Assus has no disk drives: 3 usb slots and an sd slot.
> >
> > XP is taking up so much room by itself that downloading a large file
> > probably is a problem. I do have an external hd that I can put on, but I
> > don't know anything about partitioning without losing the data that is
> > already on it.
> >
> > SteveB.

Hello,
about Ubuntu on Asus eee :

- does the camera works ?
- are the different eee models fully supported by Riceeey scripts or should
they be adapted (especially for other models than 700) ?

Thanks.
Bye,
Bruno

Old 08-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Neil

On 8/10/08, Bruno Costacurta <pubmb.bco@pt.lu> wrote:
> On Saturday 09 August 2008 11:01:41 komputes wrote:
> > I found that https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC is the best place
> > for information on th eeepc using ubunu.
> >
> > I have a 2G surf that I bout for ~$300 and following these instructions
> > and/or running the ricey script
> > (http://eee.ricey.co.uk/files/eee/RiceeeyTweak.sh) will be useful in
> > setting up your eeepc with ubuntu.
> >
> > 4G is good but I recommend you get an 8GB -> 32GB SDHC Class 6 card if
> > you want descent storage. You can use the SD card to mount your /home
> > directory from. That way your programs run quickly off the SSHD and all
> > your personal data can fit in your pocket (only take it out once the
> > computer is completely turned off - just a tip).
> >
> > For wireless internet, every time there is a kernel update you will have
> > to recompile and reinstall madwifi from source since it is not a
> > maintained debian package (yet). So keep a copy and a copy of the
> > instructions page locally.
> >
> > I'm not too sure if my microphone works well and I'm sure that all the
> > function keys do not work well.
> >
> > I will tell you that I had much less issues and better speed in Gutsy
> > then in Hardy, so you may want to try 7.10 as well as 8.04 and pick the
> > one you like better.
> >
> > Good luck, it's a little tricky but worth it.
> >
> > -komputes
> >
> > Steve Brettell wrote:
> > > I am running Ubuntu Hardy Heron on my main computer. I love it. I have
> > > an Assus eee, 4g which is loaded with XP. I should have bought the linux
> > > version, but so it goes.
> > >
> > > How can I go about swapping out the xp for Ubuntu?
> > >
> > > Assus has no disk drives: 3 usb slots and an sd slot.
> > >
> > > XP is taking up so much room by itself that downloading a large file
> > > probably is a problem. I do have an external hd that I can put on, but I
> > > don't know anything about partitioning without losing the data that is
> > > already on it.
> > >
> > > SteveB.
>
> Hello,
> about Ubuntu on Asus eee :
>
> - does the camera works ?
> - are the different eee models fully supported by Riceeey scripts or should
> they be adapted (especially for other models than 700) ?
>
> Thanks.
> Bye,
> Bruno

The camera will probably work, BUT only if you activate it in the
BIOS. If you boot the original OS on it the camera will be off again
and you will have to fix this in the BIOS.
Most default webcam apps can work with the camera, as far as I know (I
have an 701 8G but am trying to get Suse on it)

Neil
--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.