Old 08-07-2008, 01:57 AM
"David Clark"

Default Any tutorials -RUTEBOOK

From: Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org>
Subject: Re: QUESTION - Any tutorials or online training?
To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
<ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

----- To wit, Pastor JW replied

>>In your synaptic pakage manager, search for rutebook. By the time you are

>>finished with it you'll know even more than you want to!

Damn shame they had to hide it, Reverend.
Any other contributions which might shed further light for those of us just
starting out with Ubuntu or other distributions will be greatly appreciated.
Something tells me that many, many others are just as interested in further
opportunities to learn about Linux.

<davidclark@davidclark.org>

Old 08-08-2008, 01:52 PM
"Bill Walton"

Pastor JW wrote:
> In your synaptic pakage manager, search for rutebook.
> By the time you are finished with it you'll know even
> more than you want to!

Hope you'll forgive another newbie question, but once I install the package
(which I did), where do I find it?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 08-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Nigel Henry

On Friday 08 August 2008 15:52, Bill Walton wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
> > In your synaptic pakage manager, search for rutebook.
> > By the time you are finished with it you'll know even
> > more than you want to!
>
> Hope you'll forgive another newbie question, but once I install the package
> (which I did), where do I find it?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

I'm pretty sure it's in /usr/share/doc, so if you open a browser, konqueror
for example, put a / in the address bar, and you can navigate to where it is.

Nigel.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:22 PM
James Takac

Hi Bill

On Friday 08 August 2008 23:52:01 Bill Walton wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
> > In your synaptic pakage manager, search for rutebook.
> > By the time you are finished with it you'll know even
> > more than you want to!
>
> Hope you'll forgive another newbie question, but once I install the package
> (which I did), where do I find it?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Just installed it as well and went looking. Found it in the following
directory

/usr/share/doc/rutebook

James

Old 08-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Doug Pollard

James Takac wrote:
> Hi Bill
>
> On Friday 08 August 2008 23:52:01 Bill Walton wrote:
>
>> Pastor JW wrote:
>>
>>> In your synaptic pakage manager, search for rutebook.
>>> By the time you are finished with it you'll know even
>>> more than you want to!
>>>
>> Hope you'll forgive another newbie question, but once I install the package
>> (which I did), where do I find it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill
>>

> Just installed it as well and went looking. Found it in the following
> directory
>
> /usr/share/doc/rutebook
>
> James

Holly cow, how did know how to find it in the first place. bash returns
no such file or directory this is what I get every time I try to find
something ??
Doug

Old 08-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Nigel Henry

On Thursday 07 August 2008 03:57, David Clark wrote:
> From: Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org>
> Subject: Re: QUESTION - Any tutorials or online training?
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> On Tuesday 05 August 2008 08:18:02 am David Clark wrote:
> > I'm looking for training opportunities. Anyone care to share some
> > training materials or resources - ISO files or websites with training.
> > Linux/Ubuntu has a lot of command line similarities to DOS, and that's
> > great. Some of the file structure is similar also, but I want a deeper
> > understanding. Can anyone help?
>
> ----- To wit, Pastor JW replied
>
> >>In your synaptic pakage manager, search for rutebook. By the time you
> >> are
> >>
> >>finished with it you'll know even more than you want to!
>
> Damn shame they had to hide it, Reverend.
> Any other contributions which might shed further light for those of us just
> starting out with Ubuntu or other distributions will be greatly
> appreciated. Something tells me that many, many others are just as
> interested in further opportunities to learn about Linux.
>
> <davidclark@davidclark.org>

Another user one that's available on Debian based installs is the abs-guide,
for advanced bash scripting. Loads of examples, and a very usefull document.

The link below is interesting as well. Loads of stuff about networking. Some
of it may not be terribly up to date, as I see one of the chapters mentions
Fedora Core 3, which is going back a bit, but the networking stuff is usefull
info.

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/#Linux%20Main

Nigel.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Leif Gregory

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 10:36:51 -0400
Doug Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:

> Holly cow, how did know how to find it in the first place. bash
> returns no such file or directory this is what I get every time I try
> to find something ??

└──> locate rutebook
/usr/share/doc/rutebook

--
Leif Gregory
Power Wagon Registry: http://powerwagonregistry.org

Old 08-08-2008, 02:50 PM
"Bill Walton"

James, Nigel;

Thanks to you both! I appreciate the help very much. Is usr/share/doc the
default location for downloads?

Thanks again,
Bill

Old 08-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Rashkae

Bill Walton wrote:
> James, Nigel;
>
> Thanks to you both! I appreciate the help very much. Is usr/share/doc the
> default location for downloads?
>
> Thanks again,
> Bill

No, but it is the default location for *DOC*umentation.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Nils Kassube

Bill Walton wrote:
> Is usr/share/doc
> the default location for downloads?

No, /usr/share/doc is the default location for documentation for installed
packages. BTW: You can find out the location of installed files with the
synaptic package manager if you look at the package properties. There is
a tab which lists the installed files including path.

Nils