Old 08-08-2008, 05:12 AM
"nathan bahn"

Default problem installing a card......

Hello there,

I have a Zonet ZEW1603 wireless N.I.C. (802.11g) that I am unable to install in this desktop that I'm working on.* The O.S. is not recognizing the card at all.* It doesn't show up on any of the G.U.I. menus.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

--N.B.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:47 AM
Philip Wyett

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 01:12 -0400, nathan bahn wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I have a Zonet ZEW1603 wireless N.I.C. (802.11g) that I am unable to
> install in this desktop that I'm working on. The O.S. is not
> recognizing the card at all. It doesn't show up on any of the G.U.I.
> menus.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> --N.B.

Can you look at the card and confirm the chip on-board.

Is it a Ralink RT2561?

Regards

Phil

Old 08-08-2008, 06:44 AM
"nathan bahn"

P.W.--
Yes, it says RT2561ST.
--N.B.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Philip Wyett

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 02:44 -0400, nathan bahn wrote:
> P.W.--
> Yes, it says RT2561ST.
> --N.B.
>

> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 1:47 AM, Philip Wyett <philwyett@gmx.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 01:12 -0400, nathan bahn wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >
> > I have a Zonet ZEW1603 wireless N.I.C. (802.11g) that I am
> unable to
> > install in this desktop that I'm working on. The O.S. is
> not
> > recognizing the card at all. It doesn't show up on any of
> the G.U.I.
> > menus.
> >
> > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
> >
> > --N.B.
> >

> Can you look at the card and confirm the chip on-board.
>
> Is it a Ralink RT2561?
>
> Regards
>
> Phil
>
> --

Doing a bit of googling, the device should work out of the box with
8.04.

What doe the command:

lspci | grep Ra

return?

Regards

Phil

Old 08-08-2008, 07:15 AM
"nathan bahn"

P.W.--

I get the following:* 02:04.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI.* The Network Settings sheet shows three rows:
WirelessWiredphone/modem
This is actually an improvement from before, when wireless wasn't even listed (this may have to do with the fact that when I examined the card, I discovered that it wasn't snapped in all of the way.* I thought that I had the problem solved, but no dice; the insignia in the upper right hand corner still only gives the wired option.

--N.B.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Philip Wyett

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 03:15 -0400, nathan bahn wrote:
> P.W.--
>
> I get the following: 02:04.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61
> 802.11g PCI. The Network Settings sheet shows three rows:
> 1. Wireless
> 2. Wired
> 3. phone/modem
> This is actually an improvement from before, when wireless wasn't even
> listed (this may have to do with the fact that when I examined the
> card, I discovered that it wasn't snapped in all of the way. I
> thought that I had the problem solved, but no dice; the insignia in
> the upper right hand corner still only gives the wired option.
>
> --N.B.
>

> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 2:56 AM, Philip Wyett <philwyett@gmx.com>
> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 02:44 -0400, nathan bahn wrote:
> > P.W.--
> > Yes, it says RT2561ST.
> > --N.B.
> >

> > On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 1:47 AM, Philip Wyett
> <philwyett@gmx.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 01:12 -0400, nathan bahn
> wrote:
> > > Hello there,
> > >
> > > I have a Zonet ZEW1603 wireless N.I.C. (802.11g)
> that I am
> > unable to
> > > install in this desktop that I'm working on. The
> O.S. is
> > not
> > > recognizing the card at all. It doesn't show up
> on any of
> > the G.U.I.
> > > menus.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
> > >
> > > --N.B.
> > >

> > Can you look at the card and confirm the chip
> on-board.
> >
> > Is it a Ralink RT2561?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Phil
> >
> > --
>

> Doing a bit of googling, the device should work out of the box
> with
> 8.04.
>
> What doe the command:
>
> lspci | grep Ra
>
> return?
>
> Regards
>
> Phil

Not having one of these cards or seen how it interacts with
NetworkManager I cannot help much further.

You could look at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT61#Getting%
20Started

Note: This doc looks quite out of date. Though with 'lsmod' and
'ifconfig' it will detail more info for troubleshooting.

Regards

Phil

Old 08-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Mark Kirkwood

nathan bahn wrote:
> This is actually an improvement from before, when /wireless/ wasn't
> even listed (this *may* have to do with the fact that when I examined
> the card, I discovered that it wasn't snapped in all of the way. I
> thought that I had the problem solved, but no dice; the insignia in
> the upper right hand corner *still* only gives the wired option.

Well, I see the same with respect to the insignia thingy - even tho my
wireless works fine! - maybe poke around in network manager a bit, and
ensure the password is in there (if your wifi needs one that is!)

Old 08-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Hello Nathan,
This may not help and it's a lot of trouble but it got
my wireless card working on my gutsy machine:
Install driver
Shutdown and remove card
Reboot without card
Shutdown again and reinstall card
and to keep from having to do a sudo ifdown wlan0
followed by sudo ifup wlan0 you can put the commands
in /etc/rc.local. I believe I also had to add the
module in /etc/modules. If you decide to try this,
email me direct and I'll start the wireless machine
and check it out for you. It's to late to do it now
but would be happy to check it out tomorrow.
The driver may have improved since gutsy but it was
quite quirky. Except for the use of rc.local I found
most of the info googling for the RaLink drivers and
there were many variation in procedure. you may just
have to do some googling and reading to solve the
problem; I did. Wish I could help further but it's
been a while. Good luck.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net