FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-08-2008, 01:45 AM
"Verde Denim"
 
Default SATA Upgrade (re-post after HW problem was resolved)

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> wrote:



On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:


Ok - So after all the fiasco of the crazy hardware issues with bad media vs bad iso vs bad hardware vs PEBKAC,
I have Ubuntu 7.10 server (LAMP) runninig on a Dell Dimension 4500 with the following:
80GB IDE (Ubu is installed here)




Silicon SATA 3512 SATA I card
500GB SATA drive (Dr. 0)
400GB SATA drive (Dr. 1)

During the install, I was asked if I wanted to install Ubuntu on the 80
or the 500 GB disc (at the time, it didn't see the second drive).
When the machine boots, both drives are seen during startup.
After Ubuntu is up and I login, I can see /dev/sda1 is the 80GB IDE, but no others.




I'd like to get these drives fdisked and set up for use, but am not sure how. I'm googling at the moment, but if anyone can throw some information or urls my way it might shorten up the search.

Regards,




Jack






--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



Look here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DrivesAndPartitions

cheers*
The problem here is this - looking in hwinfo and lshw, I have /dev/sda (the IDE drive), and /dev/sdb (the 500GB SATA), but the second SATA drive (which I would have guessed would be /dev/sdc) is not found on the system. Can I create this manually ?


--
"It is human nature to think wisely and act in an absurd fashion."



"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 02:18 AM
"Owen Townend"
 
Default SATA Upgrade (re-post after HW problem was resolved)

2008/8/8 Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok - So after all the fiasco of the crazy hardware issues with bad media
>>> vs bad iso vs bad hardware vs PEBKAC,
>>> I have Ubuntu 7.10 server (LAMP) runninig on a Dell Dimension 4500 with
>>> the following:
>>> 80GB IDE (Ubu is installed here)
>>>
>>> Silicon SATA 3512 SATA I card
>>> 500GB SATA drive (Dr. 0)
>>> 400GB SATA drive (Dr. 1)
>>>
>>> During the install, I was asked if I wanted to install Ubuntu on the 80
>>> or the 500 GB disc (at the time, it didn't see the second drive).
>>> When the machine boots, both drives are seen during startup.
>>> After Ubuntu is up and I login, I can see /dev/sda1 is the 80GB IDE, but
>>> no others.
>>>
>>> I'd like to get these drives fdisked and set up for use, but am not sure
>>> how. I'm googling at the moment, but if anyone can throw some information or
>>> urls my way it might shorten up the search.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Jack
>>
>> Look here:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DrivesAndPartitions
>>
>> cheers
>
>
> The problem here is this - looking in hwinfo and lshw, I have /dev/sda (the
> IDE drive), and /dev/sdb (the 500GB SATA), but the second SATA drive (which
> I would have guessed would be /dev/sdc) is not found on the system. Can I
> create this manually ?

Hey,
You shouldn't have to create the device nodes manually.
There are a few more options to try though:
First and foremost, check the cables are seated well and ensure that
the drives are seen either by the bios or by the SATA card. (for
example my silicon image 3114 card displays attached drives during
startup)

Next check `sudo fdisk -l` which will display all disks and their
partitions as seen by the system.

You can also check that the devices are seen in dmesg:
Try `dmesg|grep -A 5 sata_sil` you should see the module loaded,
the scsi paths detected and then ata devices detected. Again by
example: (8.04.1 w/ SiI3114 & 4 drives)

[ 52.072524] sata_sil 0000:03:06.0: version 2.3
[ 52.072563] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:06.0[A] -> GSI 20 (level,
low) -> IRQ 20
[ 52.073182] sata_sil 0000:03:06.0: Applying R_ERR on DMA activate
FIS errata fix
[ 52.075519] scsi6 : sata_sil
[ 52.075604] scsi7 : sata_sil
[ 52.075642] scsi8 : sata_sil
[ 52.075703] scsi9 : sata_sil
[ 52.075746] ata7: SATA max UDMA/100 mmio m1024@0xfdcff000 tf
0xfdcff080 irq 20
[ 52.075750] ata8: SATA max UDMA/100 mmio m1024@0xfdcff000 tf
0xfdcff0c0 irq 20
[ 52.075753] ata9: SATA max UDMA/100 mmio m1024@0xfdcff000 tf
0xfdcff280 irq 20
[ 52.075757] ata10: SATA max UDMA/100 mmio m1024@0xfdcff000 tf
0xfdcff2c0 irq 20

You can then search for each ata dev for more info:
% dmesg|grep ata6
[ 48.133711] ata6: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m1024@0xfe02f000 port
0xfe02f380 irq 510
[ 51.015076] ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
% dmesg|grep ata7
[ 52.075746] ata7: SATA max UDMA/100 mmio m1024@0xfdcff000 tf
0xfdcff080 irq 20
[ 52.542091] ata7: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
[ 52.550703] ata7.00: ATA-7: SAMSUNG HD400LJ, ZZ100-15, max UDMA7
[ 52.550705] ata7.00: 781422768 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 0/32)
[ 52.558687] ata7.00: configured for UDMA/100

Start at the physical and work your way up.
Hope this helps,

cheers,
Owen.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 02:48 AM
NoOp
 
Default SATA Upgrade (re-post after HW problem was resolved)

On 08/07/2008 06:45 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok - So after all the fiasco of the crazy hardware issues with bad media
>>> vs bad iso vs bad hardware vs PEBKAC,
>>> I have Ubuntu 7.10 server (LAMP) runninig on a Dell Dimension 4500 with
>>> the following:
>>> 80GB IDE (Ubu is installed here)
>>>
>>> Silicon SATA 3512 SATA I card
>>> 500GB SATA drive (Dr. 0)
>>> 400GB SATA drive (Dr. 1)
>>>
>>> During the install, I was asked if I wanted to install Ubuntu on the 80 or
>>> the 500 GB disc (at the time, it didn't see the second drive).
>>> When the machine boots, both drives are seen during startup.
>>> After Ubuntu is up and I login, I can see /dev/sda1 is the 80GB IDE, but
>>> no others.
>>>
>>> I'd like to get these drives fdisked and set up for use, but am not sure
>>> how. I'm googling at the moment, but if anyone can throw some information or
>>> urls my way it might shorten up the search.
>>>

>>>
>>>
>> Look here:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DrivesAndPartitions
>>
>> cheers
>>
>
> The problem here is this - looking in hwinfo and lshw, I have /dev/sda (the
> IDE drive), and /dev/sdb (the 500GB SATA), but the second SATA drive (which
> I would have guessed would be /dev/sdc) is not found on the system. Can I
> create this manually ?
>

I wonder if this might help:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/203195
<quote>
Solution:
After activating AHCI in the bios setting and booting from CD/DVD one
need to press F6 to enter further boot parameter: pci=nomsi
Now the hdd and other sata devices are recognized correctly due the
installation. Don't know if its really a bug..
</quote>

Another:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/209454
<quote>
btherio wrote on 2008-07-06: (permalink)
I'm having this exact problem on an asus a8v-mx.
I read here: http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/18/103
I changed sata to ahci in the bios, added only the line pci=nomsi to the
kernel boot line, and it seems to be working.
</quote>



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 03:07 AM
"Verde Denim"
 
Default SATA Upgrade (re-post after HW problem was resolved)

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:48 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 08/07/2008 06:45 PM, Verde Denim wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> wrote:

>

>>

>>

>> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

>>

>>> Ok - So after all the fiasco of the crazy hardware issues with bad media

>>> vs bad iso vs bad hardware vs PEBKAC,

>>> I have Ubuntu 7.10 server (LAMP) runninig on a Dell Dimension 4500 with

>>> the following:

>>> 80GB IDE (Ubu is installed here)

>>>

>>> Silicon SATA 3512 SATA I card

>>> 500GB SATA drive (Dr. 0)

>>> 400GB SATA drive (Dr. 1)

>>>

>>> During the install, I was asked if I wanted to install Ubuntu on the 80 or

>>> the 500 GB disc (at the time, it didn't see the second drive).

>>> When the machine boots, both drives are seen during startup.

>>> After Ubuntu is up and I login, I can see /dev/sda1 is the 80GB IDE, but

>>> no others.

>>>

>>> I'd like to get these drives fdisked and set up for use, but am not sure

>>> how. I'm googling at the moment, but if anyone can throw some information or

>>> urls my way it might shorten up the search.

>>>



>>>

>>>

>> Look here:

>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DrivesAndPartitions

>>

>> cheers

>>

>

> The problem here is this - looking in hwinfo and lshw, I have /dev/sda (the

> IDE drive), and /dev/sdb (the 500GB SATA), but the second SATA drive (which

> I would have guessed would be /dev/sdc) is not found on the system. Can I

> create this manually ?

>



I wonder if this might help:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/203195

<quote>

Solution:

After activating AHCI in the bios setting and booting from CD/DVD one

need to press F6 to enter further boot parameter: pci=nomsi

Now the hdd and other sata devices are recognized correctly due the

installation. Don't know if its really a bug..

</quote>



Another:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/209454

<quote>

*btherio wrote on 2008-07-06: (permalink)

I'm having this exact problem on an asus a8v-mx.

I read here: http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/18/103

I changed sata to ahci in the bios, added only the line pci=nomsi to the

kernel boot line, and it seems to be working.

</quote>


*fdisk -l shows the IDE (80GB) and the first SATA (500GB) drives.
dmesg|grep -A 5 sata_sil shows the same, although I'm a bit confused by what I see there - it seems to indicate that /dev/sda is within this data, although I know that /dev/sda1,2,5 are the 80GB IDE drive.


NoOp - I don't see any sort of option in this BIOS to do this - "After activating AHCI in the bios"
But, can I change add "pci=nomsi" to the boot line after the install, and would the system 'right' itself ? It seems from reading these that they are only done on an installation (so I would essentially reinstall the OS)


Jack

**




--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 03:19 PM
NoOp
 
Default SATA Upgrade (re-post after HW problem was resolved)

On 08/07/2008 08:07 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:48 PM, NoOp <sniprudeemailquoting> wrote:

>
> fdisk -l shows the IDE (80GB) and the first SATA (500GB) drives.
> dmesg|grep -A 5 sata_sil shows the same, although I'm a bit confused by what
> I see there - it seems to indicate that /dev/sda is within this data,
> although I know that /dev/sda1,2,5 are the 80GB IDE drive.
>
> NoOp - I don't see any sort of option in this BIOS to do this - "After
> activating AHCI in the bios"
> But, can I change add "pci=nomsi" to the boot line after the install, and
> would the system 'right' itself ? It seems from reading these that they are
> only done on an installation (so I would essentially reinstall the OS)
>
> Jack

No idea, I don't have SATA. I only ran across those looking up something
else & thought that you might find it helpful to have a read through the
bugs. It certainly couldn't hurt to try pci=nomsi at boot (just use the
'e' edit function in the grub menu), and if you find it works then add
it to your /boot/grub/menu.lst. Be sure to take some time and actually
_read_ through the bugs; you're likely to find something in them that
might be helpful.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 04:32 PM
"Verde Denim"
 
Default SATA Upgrade (re-post after HW problem was resolved)

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 11:19 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 08/07/2008 08:07 PM, Verde Denim wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:48 PM, NoOp <sniprudeemailquoting> wrote:



>

> *fdisk -l shows the IDE (80GB) and the first SATA (500GB) drives.

> dmesg|grep -A 5 sata_sil shows the same, although I'm a bit confused by what

> I see there - it seems to indicate that /dev/sda is within this data,

> although I know that /dev/sda1,2,5 are the 80GB IDE drive.

>

> NoOp - I don't see any sort of option in this BIOS to do this - "After

> activating AHCI in the bios"

> But, can I change add "pci=nomsi" to the boot line after the install, and

> would the system 'right' itself ? It seems from reading these that they are

> only done on an installation (so I would essentially reinstall the OS)

>

> Jack



No idea, I don't have SATA. I only ran across those looking up something

else & thought that you might find it helpful to have a read through the

bugs. It certainly couldn't hurt to try pci=nomsi at boot (just use the

'e' edit function in the grub menu), and if you find it works then add

it to your /boot/grub/menu.lst. Be sure to take some time and actually

_read_ through the bugs; you're likely to find something in them that

might be helpful.


I read through them and there were a few 'workarounds' worth trying. Unfortunately, no joy.
I did call the vendor for the card, who assured me that the card does work, as he is running it in an Ubuntu 8.04 (gnome) system. He suggested that I remove the second drive, and attach it to another system and make sure that it is pre-formatted to ext2/ext3 and then putting it back in the system to see if the OS recognizes it, because the shadow BIOS sees it at boot-up, but the kernel doesn't acknowledge it when the OS is loaded. I'm going to try that as well. He also suggested that the second drive might need a jumper, but I'm not sure that these drives have a place for a jumper, so I'll go with the pre-formatting option and see if that does it.


Jack






--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-08-2008, 11:53 PM
"Verde Denim"
 
Default SATA Upgrade (re-post after HW problem was resolved)

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:



On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 11:19 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:


On 08/07/2008 08:07 PM, Verde Denim wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:48 PM, NoOp <sniprudeemailquoting> wrote:



>

> *fdisk -l shows the IDE (80GB) and the first SATA (500GB) drives.

> dmesg|grep -A 5 sata_sil shows the same, although I'm a bit confused by what

> I see there - it seems to indicate that /dev/sda is within this data,

> although I know that /dev/sda1,2,5 are the 80GB IDE drive.

>

> NoOp - I don't see any sort of option in this BIOS to do this - "After

> activating AHCI in the bios"

> But, can I change add "pci=nomsi" to the boot line after the install, and

> would the system 'right' itself ? It seems from reading these that they are

> only done on an installation (so I would essentially reinstall the OS)

>

> Jack



No idea, I don't have SATA. I only ran across those looking up something

else & thought that you might find it helpful to have a read through the

bugs. It certainly couldn't hurt to try pci=nomsi at boot (just use the

'e' edit function in the grub menu), and if you find it works then add

it to your /boot/grub/menu.lst. Be sure to take some time and actually

_read_ through the bugs; you're likely to find something in them that

might be helpful.


I read through them and there were a few 'workarounds' worth trying. Unfortunately, no joy.
I did call the vendor for the card, who assured me that the card does work, as he is running it in an Ubuntu 8.04 (gnome) system. He suggested that I remove the second drive, and attach it to another system and make sure that it is pre-formatted to ext2/ext3 and then putting it back in the system to see if the OS recognizes it, because the shadow BIOS sees it at boot-up, but the kernel doesn't acknowledge it when the OS is loaded. I'm going to try that as well. He also suggested that the second drive might need a jumper, but I'm not sure that these drives have a place for a jumper, so I'll go with the pre-formatting option and see if that does it.



Jack
Sadly, still no joy. The first drive (500GB) is recognized and can be mounted, but even after formatting the second (400GB) and putting it back in the system, it is not recognized. I'm wondering how it might work if I set up the two drives as a RAID0 in the utility which is presented in the shadow BIOS?

*








--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:19 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org