Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 PM
"Eddie b"

Default aMSN

Has anyone notices in hardy it no longer connects?
I note msn protocol change recently, that meant upgrading to 0.97.2* (.1 had a nasty bug)
I am alone in this one as well ?
I'd really not install the source version as I'd like to keep everything in sync with ubuntu, but I guess I might have to use it.

Ed

Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Leo Cacciari

Il giorno ven, 08/08/2008 alle 09.56 +1000, Eddie b ha scritto:
> Has anyone notices in hardy it no longer connects?
> I note msn protocol change recently, that meant upgrading to 0.97.2
> (.1 had a nasty bug)
> I am alone in this one as well ?
> I'd really not install the source version as I'd like to keep
> everything in sync with ubuntu, but I guess I might have to use it.
>
> Ed
Hi,
this is a bug due to microsoft changing the behaviour of its servers,
see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amsn/+bug/243722

The fix is committed, and the version on the proposed-update repository
works (for hardy, I'm not sure for other releases).

Enjoy

--
Leo Cacciari

Old 08-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Res

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Leo Cacciari wrote:

> Il giorno ven, 08/08/2008 alle 09.56 +1000, Eddie b ha scritto:

>> Has anyone notices in hardy it no longer connects?

> this is a bug due to microsoft changing the behaviour of its servers,
> see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amsn/+bug/243722
>
> The fix is committed, and the version on the proposed-update repository
> works (for hardy, I'm not sure for other releases).

So long as they use 0.97.2, I've always used source, ( 1: I detest the
hacking certain distros do to many programs, seriously if things are meant
to be in 5 different sub packages, upstream would darn well release them
that way, but they dont and 2: I dont have to wait a year for it to be
updated by the distro maintainers) 0.97.1 was released to correct the
protocol changes, this unfortunately introduced a rather nasty bug, but
thid was corrected in 0.97.2 some days later, so I hope for those
using the ubuntu version's sake they are using this latter version.

--
Cheers
Res

"The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
-Freiheit

Old 08-09-2008, 01:12 AM
"Eddie b"

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Leo Cacciari <leo.cacciari@gmail.com> wrote:

Il giorno ven, 08/08/2008 alle 09.56 +1000, Eddie b ha scritto:

> Has anyone notices in hardy it no longer connects?

> I note msn protocol change recently, that meant upgrading to 0.97.2

> (.1 had a nasty bug)

> I am alone in this one as well ?

> I'd really not install the source version as I'd like to keep

> everything in sync with ubuntu, but I guess I might have to use it.

> Ed

Hi,

*this is a bug due to microsoft changing the behaviour of its servers,

see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amsn/+bug/243722

The fix is committed, and the version on the proposed-update repository

works (for hardy, I'm not sure for other releases).

Enjoy

--

Leo Cacciari

Thank you, I am using pidgin at present and (never liked it) will wait a week or so if there is no change to updates, I'll remove it grab the source.

One thing, Why oh why do they split it up, amsn requires amsn-data .. what the heck is the point, why can't they just leave it as one since you need both. I had hoped Ubuntu* did not follow its sister OS Debian in its draconic ways, but it seems it has, they tout more packages then any other distro, it seems that is because they split a simple program into many packages, as much as I hate the troll that calls itself Res, I do agree with he/she on that point, most annoying.

Thank you anyway Leo ,I'll await the update
ciao

Old 08-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Leo Cacciari

Il giorno sab, 09/08/2008 alle 11.12 +1000, Eddie b ha scritto:

> Thank you, I am using pidgin at present and (never liked it) will wait
> a week or so if there is no change to updates, I'll remove it grab the
> source.
For what is worth, the version in proposed updates ( 0.97
+final-0ubuntu5.1) works for me.

> One thing, Why oh why do they split it up, amsn requires amsn-data ..
> what the heck is the point, why can't they just leave it as one since
> you need both. I had hoped Ubuntu did not follow its sister OS Debian
> in its draconic ways, but it seems it has, they tout more packages
> then any other distro, it seems that is because they split a simple
> program into many packages, as much as I hate the troll that calls
> itself Res, I do agree with he/she on that point, most annoying.
> Thank you anyway Leo ,I'll await the update
> ciao

Why split? Easy. You (and others. Trolls don't, they just ignore the
fact) forget that there are still people out there with really slow
connections. Or paying by the byte.

For these persons downloading all of amsn, including tonnes of icons and
the like, just because a line changed in the amsn script is most
annoying, while I can not understand how can be annoying for you, as
selecting one packet would select the other.

Enjoy

--
Leo Cacciari

Old 12-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Keith Powell

Hello!

I'm a newcomer to Fedora.

I have been trying Fedora10 (Gnome), and first impressions are very good.

I have also been trying to get aMSN 0.97.2 working. It recognises my
webcam, although the video setup sliders don't work. Hence, the picture
is very dark.

Also my microphone doesn't work. There's no audio recording when I test
it. The mic is OK and the audio mixer controls are correctly set.

Does sound work in this version of aMSN, please? I can't decide from
their web site if it is supposed to or not.

Also, any thoughts on the video sliders? They have worked on earlier
versions of aMSN, with other distros.

I hope this question hasn't been asked before. If it has, I can't find it!

Many thanks for any advice.

Keith

Old 12-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Chris Jeffries

I did something stupid with aMSN, which means it stalls on start up, and
soaks up all remaining CPU cycles (total hits 100% but no other
processes freeze due to lack of resource as far as I have seen)

What I did was to set, accidentally, a very large file as a display
picture.

Why that is a problem is a question for another list. However, I noticed
that although I marked aMSN for complete removal including configuration
files:
a) The problem still remained
b) It appeared to remember who I was - ie my login id.

I had naively assumed that compete removal meant complete removal. What
am I missing here?

I have searched Google and the aMSN site, and although I found other
circumstances in which 100% cycles could occur (relating to ALSA as I
recall) non seemed to fit this particular bill, and I found nothing
about incomplete removal.

I used Synaptic to do the removal and the re-installation.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Gilles Gravier

Chris,

Chris Jeffries wrote:
> I did something stupid with aMSN, which means it stalls on start up, and
> soaks up all remaining CPU cycles (total hits 100% but no other
> processes freeze due to lack of resource as far as I have seen)
>
> What I did was to set, accidentally, a very large file as a display
> picture.
>
> Why that is a problem is a question for another list. However, I noticed
> that although I marked aMSN for complete removal including configuration
> files:
> a) The problem still remained
> b) It appeared to remember who I was - ie my login id.
>
> I had naively assumed that compete removal meant complete removal. What
> am I missing here?
>
> I have searched Google and the aMSN site, and although I found other
> circumstances in which 100% cycles could occur (relating to ALSA as I
> recall) non seemed to fit this particular bill, and I found nothing
> about incomplete removal.
>
> I used Synaptic to do the removal and the re-installation

Complete Removal means all the SYSTEM configuration file. Not the USER
configuration files...

What you want to do is remove your $HOME/.amsn directory and start aMSN
again...

Gilles.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:59 AM
"Koh Choon Lin"

>> What I did was to set, accidentally, a very large file as a display
>> picture.

What about removing the actual file? Does it still load?

Koh Choon Lin

Old 01-14-2010, 03:13 AM
Jason Nichols

i'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem but i'm having a couple of problems with amsn...the first and most annoying is that when i go to go into the preferences menu it terminates the program, the second is that dialogue boxes fill the whole screen and often do not have all of the relevant options on them. if anyone has any idea how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated. thank you

If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK Shopping Trolley Mechanic