Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 PM
"James D. Parra"

Default updating java from a terminal

Hello,

I am connecting to a workstation via ssh and I'd like to update the Java
install from 1.4.2 to 1.5. Since there is no GUI, what utility can I use to
perform the update?

Many thanks,

James

Old 08-08-2008, 01:40 AM
"James D. Parra"

"sudo apt-get install sun-java5-jdk", im assuming you are looking to update
the jdk. To search for other java packages you can use "aptitude search
sun-java" or "just aptitude search java" for everything related to java.

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:29 PM, James D. Parra <Jamesp@musicreports.com>
I am connecting to a workstation via ssh and I'd like to update the Java
install from 1.4.2 to 1.5. Since there is no GUI, what utility can I use to
perform the update?
<snip>

"sudo apt-get install sun-java5-jdk", im assuming you are looking to update
the jdk. To search for other java packages you can use "aptitude search
sun-java" or "just aptitude search java" for everything related to java.
~~~~~~~
Thanks Jim. However, I am getting the following errors. Any to get around
them?

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://us.archive.ubuntu.com
breezy/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy_main_bin ary-i3
86_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://us.archive.ubuntu.com
breezy/restricted Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy_restrict ed_bin
ary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://us.archive.ubuntu.com
breezy/multiverse Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy_multiver se_bin
ary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com
breezy-security/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy-security_main_bi
nary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com
breezy-security/restricted Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy-security_restric
ted_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com
breezy-security/universe Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy-security_univers
e_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Couldn't find package sun-java5-jdk

Thank you,

James

Old 08-08-2008, 12:34 PM
"Brie Gordon"

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:35 PM, James D. Parra <Jamesp@musicreports.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am connecting to a workstation via ssh and I'd like to update the Java
> install from 1.4.2 to 1.5. Since there is no GUI, what utility can I use to
> perform the update?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> James

Breezy updates are no longer on us.archive.ubuntu.com.
They are available at:
http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/breezy-updates/
:-).

Brie A. Gordon
A Linux Chica

http://granite.sru.edu/~bag6849/index.html

Old 08-08-2008, 03:39 PM
"James D. Parra"

wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am connecting to a workstation via ssh and I'd like to update the Java
> install from 1.4.2 to 1.5. Since there is no GUI, what utility can I use
> perform the update?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> James

Breezy updates are no longer on us.archive.ubuntu.com.
They are available at:
http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/breezy-updates/
:-).

Thank you Brie. From the CLI, how do integrate the URL into the updater? Is
there a place in apt-get where I can plug in that link?

Thanks again,

~James

Old 08-08-2008, 03:45 PM
"Brie Gordon"

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 11:39 AM, James D. Parra <Jamesp@musicreports.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:35 PM, James D. Parra <Jamesp@musicreports.com>
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am connecting to a workstation via ssh and I'd like to update the Java
>> install from 1.4.2 to 1.5. Since there is no GUI, what utility can I use
>> perform the update?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> James
>>
>> --
>>

> Breezy updates are no longer on us.archive.ubuntu.com.
> They are available at:
> http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/breezy-updates/
> :-).
>
> Thank you Brie. From the CLI, how do integrate the URL into the updater? Is
> there a place in apt-get where I can plug in that link?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> ~James

Modify your /etc/apt/sources.list file to reflect these URLs.

See this thread:

Particularly post #8.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:07 PM
"James D. Parra"

>> I am connecting to a workstation via ssh and I'd like to update the Java
>> install from 1.4.2 to 1.5. Since there is no GUI, what utility can I use
>> perform the update?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> James
>>
>> --
>>

> Breezy updates are no longer on us.archive.ubuntu.com.
> They are available at:
> http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/breezy-updates/
> :-).
>
> Thank you Brie. From the CLI, how do integrate the URL into the updater?
Is
> there a place in apt-get where I can plug in that link?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> ~James

Modify your /etc/apt/sources.list file to reflect these URLs.

See this thread:

Particularly post #8.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for the excellent howto. It all worked well, however when I run
'apt-get install sun-java5-jdk' it errors out. It can't find java 1.5.

apt-get install sun-java5-jdk
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package sun-java5-jdk
<snip>

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

~James

Old 08-08-2008, 08:42 PM
"Jim Rosser"

Type aptitude search sun-java and see if java5 comes up and install whatever java5 packages you see, i don't remember that far back but maybe they named the java packages something different from what they do now, you might also try aptitude search java just to see what java packages are available, someone used to using breezy might provide a better insight.